Thick NY Strips Over Wood First Try

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice work!

I’m a huge fane of flame searing.....done a lot of it on the copper pot and x-fire grill, I’ve done oak but cherry is may fav wood to do it again. It’s hard to go back to gasser ones after....I found that NY are best for flame searing. Rib-eye you have to be Johny on the spot to keep the grease from flaming and smoking.

Again very nice!

Reactions: MJB05615
Nice work!

I’m a huge fane of flame searing.....done a lot of it on the copper pot and x-fire grill, I’ve done oak but cherry is may fav wood to do it again. It’s hard to go back to gasser ones after....I found that NY are best for flame searing. Rib-eye you have to be Johny on the spot to keep the grease from flaming and smoking.

Again very nice!
Thanks Civil. I appreciate it. Yep, I have to be Johnny on the spot with Ribeyes when using the gasser, now I'll really see how on the spot with the wood fire. I expect to have my running slippers on, lol.
I like cherry when doing Ribs lately, nice color on the Ribs. I'm anxious to use the oak this week.
Thanks again.

I read chopsaw chopsaw 's older post about cooking Steak over just wood burned down to coals, and had to try. This ended up being one of the best Steaks I've ever had.
Here's 2 thick Strips from Widlfork foods, seasoned up with @tx smoker's beef Rub he posted a few months ago and is now my go to for Steaks. These were about 1.5 lbs each.
View attachment 627463
Fire getting started in the chimney, used a handful of briquets and some Hickory chunks to get it going.
View attachment 627464
Once coals were ready I dumped onto the burn tray of my Chargriller Charcoal Grill. The main thing I like about this Grill is I can raise or lower the burn tray closer to the meat as it cooks. Added a few Hickory Splits as well to keep the flames going. Put these Strips on, closed lid and waited 3-5 minutes.
View attachment 627465
This is after 5 minutes, first turn over to see what's happening on the other side. I loved what I see, lol.
View attachment 627466
About another 5 minutes and IT was 130-135, pulled off Grill to rest a few minutes. One thing I do is heat the serving plate, so the meat is resting on a hot or warm plate to better distribute the juices during the rest time.
Here's the finished cut shot. To me these were perfect doneness, and as Rich chopsaw chopsaw warned, one of the best flavors and very tender steaks I've ever had.
View attachment 627467
I'll be doing steaks this way from now on, weather permitting. Next time I'll turn them over more frequently to have just a little less char. Overall this was a great experience for me and a gamechanger for sure. From Robert's @tx smoker beef Rub to Rich's chopsaw chopsaw method. A true team effort, another example of how this is the greatest place to be with the greatest people on board to always help and lend a hand.
I used the second Steak for some Quesadillas the next day for lunch and a little snack, sorry no pics. Just as tender and delicious the next day too.
Thanks for stopping by, and stay safe.
Those look KILL'ER!!!!
That's how I cook, damn near every tri tip that I cook, once you've had tri tip or steaks cooked hot and fast over white hot oak wood burned down to coals you'll never go back to smoking them or slow cooking then searing them. I baste each cooked side with melted butter with a little Worcestershire sauce and crushed garlic cloves...YUM!!!

Those look KILL'ER!!!!
That's how I cook, damn near every tri tip that I cook, once you've had tri tip or steaks cooked hot and fast over white hot oak wood burned down to coals you'll never go back to smoking them or slow cooking then searing them. I baste each cooked side with melted butter with a little Worcestershire sauce and crushed garlic cloves...YUM!!!
Thanks FT. That's how I'll be doing them from now on. This weekend I'm trying OAk wood chunks. Your basting method sounds real good. May try that too. I can't see any reason to go back to just grilling.

Reactions: forktender
Thanks FT. That's how I'll be doing them from now on. This weekend I'm trying OAk wood chunks. Your basting method sounds real good. May try that too. I can't see any reason to go back to just grilling.
A buddy that was a Chef at Keen's Steakhouse in Manhattan, NY showed me how they made their baste, it's killer, try it. I use 1 cup of ghee/ clarified butter, ( I buy the big tubs of Ghee at costco).
But can use a cube of reg butter if that's what you have handy, then you add 2-4 glugs of the Worch sauce and 2-4 cloves of garlic depending on their size. Smash the garlic with a knife, work it into a pulp by adding a pinch of coarse salt, then use your knife blade to work it into a pulp by laying the knife flat and using circular motions. Add the pulp to the melted Ghee, then whisk in the Worch sauce, it's awesome on anything beef.:emoji_thumbsup:

A buddy that was a Chef at Keen's Steakhouse in Manhattan, NY showed me how they made their baste, it's killer, try it. I use 1 cup of ghee/ clarified butter, ( I buy the big tubs of Ghee at costco).
But can use a cube of reg butter if that's what you have handy, then you add 2-4 glugs of the Worch sauce and 2-4 cloves of garlic depending on their size. Smash the garlic with a knife, work it into a pulp by adding a pinch of coarse salt, then use your knife blade to work it into a pulp by laying the knife flat and using circular motions. Add the pulp to the melted Ghee, then whisk in the Worch sauce, it's awesome on anything beef.:emoji_thumbsup:
This sounds great. Already copied it and gonna try this wekend. I'll let you know how it was on the Oak flavored Ribeye.

Reactions: forktender
I read chopsaw chopsaw 's older post about cooking Steak over just wood burned down to coals, and had to try. This ended up being one of the best Steaks I've ever had.
Here's 2 thick Strips from Widlfork foods, seasoned up with @tx smoker's beef Rub he posted a few months ago and is now my go to for Steaks. These were about 1.5 lbs each.
View attachment 627463
Fire getting started in the chimney, used a handful of briquets and some Hickory chunks to get it going.
View attachment 627464
Once coals were ready I dumped onto the burn tray of my Chargriller Charcoal Grill. The main thing I like about this Grill is I can raise or lower the burn tray closer to the meat as it cooks. Added a few Hickory Splits as well to keep the flames going. Put these Strips on, closed lid and waited 3-5 minutes.
View attachment 627465
This is after 5 minutes, first turn over to see what's happening on the other side. I loved what I see, lol.
View attachment 627466
About another 5 minutes and IT was 130-135, pulled off Grill to rest a few minutes. One thing I do is heat the serving plate, so the meat is resting on a hot or warm plate to better distribute the juices during the rest time.
Here's the finished cut shot. To me these were perfect doneness, and as Rich chopsaw chopsaw warned, one of the best flavors and very tender steaks I've ever had.
View attachment 627467
I'll be doing steaks this way from now on, weather permitting. Next time I'll turn them over more frequently to have just a little less char. Overall this was a great experience for me and a gamechanger for sure. From Robert's @tx smoker beef Rub to Rich's chopsaw chopsaw method. A true team effort, another example of how this is the greatest place to be with the greatest people on board to always help and lend a hand.
I used the second Steak for some Quesadillas the next day for lunch and a little snack, sorry no pics. Just as tender and delicious the next day too.
Thanks for stopping by, and stay safe.
Picked up a couple thick cut NY strips today, almost 2" thick. Going to do this if weather cooperates this weekend. I don't have any splits, so will use a bunch of chunks in a reverse vortex to do the cook.

Picked up a couple thick cut NY strips today, almost 2" thick. Going to do this if weather cooperates this weekend. I don't have any splits, so will use a bunch of chunks in a reverse vortex to do the cook.
Nice. Post it up. 2" nice, real nice. I got some Oak chunks I'm gonna use. This time I'm going to start the fire with Lump, I wonder if I can get Oak flavored Lump? Once it's hot, put on the Oak and see hopw that flavor compares to the Hickory. Doing a Bone in Ribeye tomorrow.

Nice. Post it up. 2" nice, real nice. I got some Oak chunks I'm gonna use. This time I'm going to start the fire with Lump, I wonder if I can get Oak flavored Lump? Once it's hot, put on the Oak and see hopw that flavor compares to the Hickory. Doing a Bone in Ribeye tomorrow.
I mike pick up some lump today to up the heat, my strips are a bone in, If they turn out good the $6.99/lb sale goes for the rest of the week. The only kicker is there is a 2 limit and you have to have an additional $15 purchase.

I mike pick up some lump today to up the heat, my strips are a bone in, If they turn out good the $6.99/lb sale goes for the rest of the week. The only kicker is there is a 2 limit and you have to have an additional $15 purchase.
A case of beer and 2 strip steaks and a few trips would solve that!

Ryan

I got some Oak chunks I'm gonna use.
Beef over red oak is magic .
I keep coming back to look at those steaks ! I got some thawed when we talked about this , but the weather was crappy so I cooked them inside . Still a good way to do them .
I've always been a Ribeye steak guy , but these strips from the whole loin were really tender and great flavor .

Beef over red oak is magic .
I keep coming back to look at those steaks ! I got some thawed when we talked about this , but the weather was crappy so I cooked them inside . Still a good way to do them .
I've always been a Ribeye steak guy , but these strips from the whole loin were really tender and great flavor .
Thanks Guys. I just did a Bone in Ribeye over Post Oak chunks, and I used Lump to get the fire going. Much faster fire and hotter , like you said Rich. Turned it over every 1 minute. Took about 8 minutes to get IT up to 133-135. Rested a few minutes. It was awesome. Reminded me of the Steaks my Dad made when I was a kid. He cooked over a homemade charcoal grill setup. Definitely liked this better than Hickory. Just the right amount of char too. I was running late and no pics. I'm doing this every Saturday weather permitting. Like a kid in a candy store, lol.

Reactions: clifish and chopsaw
Phenomenal looking steaks cooked just right!
Thanks WHB. Appreciate your kind words, they mean a lot.
Mike, I don't know how I missed this, but I'm here now and those are absolutely perfect looking steaks...
Thanks Charles, no worries, I've been late to a lot this week, lol. Thanks fr the kind comments, means a lot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky