Thick NY Strips Over Wood First Try

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2018
DACULA GA
I read chopsaw chopsaw 's older post about cooking Steak over just wood burned down to coals, and had to try. This ended up being one of the best Steaks I've ever had.
Here's 2 thick Strips from Widlfork foods, seasoned up with tx smoker tx smoker 's beef Rub he posted a few months ago and is now my go to for Steaks. These were about 1.5 lbs each.
IMG_3305.jpg
Fire getting started in the chimney, used a handful of briquets and some Hickory chunks to get it going.
IMG_3306.jpg
Once coals were ready I dumped onto the burn tray of my Chargriller Charcoal Grill. The main thing I like about this Grill is I can raise or lower the burn tray closer to the meat as it cooks. Added a few Hickory Splits as well to keep the flames going. Put these Strips on, closed lid and waited 3-5 minutes.
IMG_3307.jpg
This is after 5 minutes, first turn over to see what's happening on the other side. I loved what I see, lol.
IMG_3308.jpg
About another 5 minutes and IT was 130-135, pulled off Grill to rest a few minutes. One thing I do is heat the serving plate, so the meat is resting on a hot or warm plate to better distribute the juices during the rest time.
Here's the finished cut shot. To me these were perfect doneness, and as Rich chopsaw chopsaw warned, one of the best flavors and very tender steaks I've ever had.
IMG_3309.jpg
I'll be doing steaks this way from now on, weather permitting. Next time I'll turn them over more frequently to have just a little less char. Overall this was a great experience for me and a gamechanger for sure. From Robert's tx smoker tx smoker beef Rub to Rich's chopsaw chopsaw method. A true team effort, another example of how this is the greatest place to be with the greatest people on board to always help and lend a hand.
I used the second Steak for some Quesadillas the next day for lunch and a little snack, sorry no pics. Just as tender and delicious the next day too.
Thanks for stopping by, and stay safe.

Those look delicious! Suddenly craving steak and eggs now! Definitely a great place to find new methods

Ryan

Reactions: mcokevin
Those look delicious! Suddenly craving steak and eggs now! Definitely a great place to find new methods

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. I agree this is a great place for everything! LOL. Thanks for the kind words, I'm getting hungry too.

Strips are my favorite steaks, and those look really damned good. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Kevin, They're my favorite too, and thank you for your kind words, they were.

Looks great Mike ! I told you the thing I missed most about my old Char-griller , was doing steaks .
Nice work bud .

Reactions: MJB05615
Looks Perfect, Mike!!
A little help from Robert & Rich can never hurt a Meal !!
I can only imagine how tasty that steak was, because the only time I ever cooked over a wood fire, was Dogs & Burgers when camping, and some Marshmallows too.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Looks Great Mike, I don't think I have ever bought NY strip (being from NY you think I would) yet another thing to put in the Wildfork cart. Those were done to perfection! Big Like.

The tx smoker tx smoker rub is that the dirt rub? I made up some of that but have not used it yet your looks more red?

Reactions: MJB05615
Great looking steaks. Now you got me thinking steaks! hmm.....What day am I off this week?

Jim
Thanks Jim. I'm a little "off" every day, lol. I've been thinking about steaks daily since doing this way.

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Looks great Mike ! I told you the thing I missed most about my old Char-griller , was doing steaks .
Nice work bud .
Thanks Rich. This week I'll be using different splits than Hickory. Got some Oak and something else I cannot remember coming in. Also going to turn them more frequently like I mentioned above. Really appreciate your inspiration.

Looks Perfect, Mike!!
A little help from Robert & Rich can never hurt a Meal !!
I can only imagine how tasty that steak was, because the only time I ever cooked over a wood fire, was Dogs & Burgers when camping, and some Marshmallows too.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Thanks John. I need all the help I can get, lol. Really appreciate your kind words. As you know dieting we can't have dogs too much, but I'm toying with the idea of maybe Burgers this way sometime soon. Of course it'll be a lot faster so I gotta watch it.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Looks Great Mike, I don't think I have ever bought NY strip (being from NY you think I would) yet another thing to put in the Wildfork cart. Those were done to perfection! Big Like.

The tx smoker tx smoker rub is that the dirt rub? I made up some of that but have not used it yet your looks more red?
Thanks Cliff, that is surprising you've never had a NY Strip? If you get from WF, I suggest the Thick, I've had their regular cut and not as good, too thin. Robert's rub he calls it his Beef Rub. I think the Dirt Rub is different. Let me see if I can post it up later when I get back home. Robert posted it back in October 2021.
Thanks for your kind comments, really appreciate it. Gonna try it on a thick Ribeye this weekend. Believe it or not, I've been getting really good thick Ribeyes at Walmart. Angus, nice and juicy too.

Reactions: clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky