Thermometer for Old Country Gravity Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobbygrande13

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
Salisbury, Maryland
I just purchased an Old Country Gravity Fed Smoker and I am trying to figure out whether to go with a 4-inch stem Tel Tru thermometer or a 6-inch stem. Any advice and tips will be appreciated!

Only had it three months now, but I like it a lot to this point. I'm still learning its quirks. It produces clean thin blue smoke. It holds steady temps. Its built like a tank. I haven't found much to not like.

I do wish I'd had them put in supports to raise the lower grate a few inches. My biscuit tests showed the lower grate may get too much radiant heat to be useful.

Reactions: bobbygrande13
Only had it three months now, but I like it a lot to this point. I'm still learning its quirks. It produces clean thin blue smoke. It holds steady temps. Its built like a tank. I haven't found much to not like.

I do wish I'd had them put in supports to raise the lower grate a few inches. My biscuit tests showed the lower grate may get too much radiant heat to be useful.
Thanks for the feedback. I am moving on from my Camp Chef pellet and I am looking for all that I hear a gravity smoker can do. Just hoping I do not experience any of the airflow issues some folks have noted.

Thanks for the feedback. I am moving on from my Camp Chef pellet and I am looking for all that I hear a gravity smoker can do. Just hoping I do not experience any of the airflow issues some folks have noted.

The air flow issue was why I went Assassin. There's plenty of people on the Old Country Facebook group that aren't having any problems with air flow but they're using ATC's, i.e. Thermoworks Billows or Fireboard. I'm sort've a geek when it comes to air flow, so it was a big issue with me.

And not to mention, I tried to buy an OCGF but the Academys here did not have them in stock and they weren't optimistic they would get them. When I did find one in the stock, they would have build quality issues like a door out of square. I even came close to driving to Wichita Falls to get one.

A quick check, there's not one available at any of the six Academys in OKC right now.

The longer stem does limit the size/proximity of the meat inside. The end needs at least an inch of airflow around it.
But you have a big machine. Unless you're cooking for dozens, you should have plenty of room inside. Just keep the meat away from where the thermometer will be when the all is closed up.

The longer stem does limit the size/proximity of the meat inside. The end needs at least an inch of airflow around it.
But you have a big machine. Unless you're cooking for dozens, you should have plenty of room inside. Just keep the meat away from where the thermometer will be when the all is closed up.
Thanks! You hit on my concern. I’m leaning toward the 6-inch stem to start with. I appreciate the feedback.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky