Old Country Gravity Fed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

anthonyc2488

Original poster
Sep 21, 2023
I purchased an Old Country Gravity Fed smoker a year or so ago and overall design I really enjoy. However, I've noticed what I consider an issue and am hoping maybe someone else has experienced it or has some insight. Seems to me that it does not get enough air flow through the fire box and out the stack. With the ball valve completely open the temp comes up extremely slow. And have actually had it smother itself out. For me to get the temp to come up at any kind of reasonable speed I have to leave the fire box door cracked, the further its open the faster it comes up to temp but then I i have little control at maintaining temp.

I did purchase and have been using a billows fan which does allow me to use the unit but it's kind of getting old at having to drag it out and run wires every time I want to cook. I'm tempted to cut a hole in the fire box door and have a standard twist style baffle installed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A taller stack might make it draft better, you could slide a extension over it to try without any major work. I would add 2' and test drive it. I wanted a gravity fed pretty bad until charcoal prices jumped up and haven't came back down, kinda cooled my wants lol

Reactions: weekendland
I came very close to buying an OCGF. But it was the air flow issue that bothered me. I ended up spending a lot more money than I wanted to on an Assassin 17.

IMO, I thought the problem was the exchange between the firebox and the cook chamber. They force hot air down, making it take two 90* angles to reach the cook chamber. And the welds on the baffle are terrible, or at least the one I saw in Academy.

Other GF's I looked at on the internet, were more open. My Assassin has a straight shot from coal grate into the cook chamber. The charcoal chute is offset so the ash bin is lower than the bottom of the cook chamber. Other's I saw like the Limo Jr, had a 45* baffle.

I'll post some pics. With a crude drawing of what I thought would fix the OCGF.

Air flow through the OCGF and the welds on the baffle that I saw.
OCGF air intake 2.jpg

OCGF air flow 2.jpg

20230429_104700.jpg

Reactions: 02ebz06
Here's how Southern Q's Limo Jr is designed and how I thought a welder could do something similar to the OCGF.

The port between firebox/cook chamber is similar to OCGF in the Limo Jr, in how high it is from the bottom of the cook chamber.

I thought a welder could do similar to the OCGF with the only loss being a bit of space on the lower cooking grate, which really, I doubt the lower grate is used that much. I know on my Assassin its really too hot, it gets a lot of radiant heat from the deflector.

On my pic , the yellow is the loss of grate space. The blue lines is an approximation of Limo Jr's baffle, and the red lines is what I would have a welder build.

33d3a1110170b50003ce7cec3f55d1a4.jpg
1db182dc72cf55d7278989f2811cca1e.jpg

Intake Mod (2).jpg

Last edited:
Interesting about the OCGF, I ran across this five year old video yesterday. Old Country had sent this guy a prototype of their OCGF. First thing I noticed was it was larger than the one they make now. And from what I can see in that vid, the port between firebox and cook chamber was a straight shot, there's no baffle there.

Evidently , in making it smaller, they had to put a baffle on that port. Which, IMO, changed the air flow in the cooker.

Here's what one fella did with his OCGF. And its really not a reach. Aaron Franklin does something similar to a Big Green Egg to improve the air flow.

Stack ext.jpg

I found this yesterday. This is the Stumps Smokers firebox to cook chamber design. I don't know what Old Country was thinking with the double 90* turns.

Something similar to this could be done with the OCGF. IDK how the OCGF handles grease, so maybe not.

I've set this vid to start at the pic of the port.

I've been seriously looking at making a stack extension and I was looking at the very least even if I don't take out the bottom grate cutting the baffle off just below the bottom grate.

My Assassin 17 . It has a 2 X 4 tubing connecting the firebox with cook chamber, with a small thick deflector over the top, similar to Stumps.

Then it has what Assassin calls a grease collector, that also serves as a deflector, with a grease drain pipe running through the bottom.

Assassin Port.jpg

I've been seriously looking at making a stack extension and I was looking at the very least even if I don't take out the bottom grate cutting the baffle off just below the bottom grate.
In Franklin's latest book, he goes into detail about how he improved the air flow through the BGE

So I cut the original baffle off just below the bottom grate slide. So far my first test run had it coming up to temp much quicker. 30 mins to get to 300.

Attachments

• 20230930_164805.jpg
    20230930_164805.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 146
Well, that baffle or whatever ya wanna call it, was what I thought to be the problem with air flow in that cooker.

My concern would be how that impacts the grease management. If ya get open flame in the cook chamber and there's grease near, well, ya got a grease fire.

But then , I don't know that cooker, but it was a concern I had. That was why I was gonna model the Southern Q Limo Jr .

Also, if ya cook with hotel pans on the bottom grate to deal with the grease, then that's not an issue.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky