The wife says she wants the turkey cooked in the OVEN

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I wish I could sit back and let the wife do it all. She is sick and wants me to do everything HER WAY!! She'll be telling me what to do all day long, step by step, over and over again. LOL.

Did a small turkey on the UDS wedneday to go w/ the BIG bird my wife and her sister did for the mob (25 perps).  Lots of good comments on the smoked one, I havn' checked the frig yet, hope somes left!

The joys of marital bliss....I agree with JJ...No one will complain about a great smoked ham...hope it all worked out for you...
jedismily.gif

Well, this is where I'm going on brined turkey, just put in roaster. Put little liquid smoke in, cheating, but what the hell. No time to smoke.

A couple of years ago my wife told me NO SMOKING the turkey this year.. Damn I miss her...

Get a second small bird and smoke it. When the guests rave about your smoked one you'll have a small measure of "told you so". You won't be able to say it out loud, mind you, but well... you know.

Sorry guys but as much as I love smoked meat, the bird is best left for the oven.
Tomorrow is left over Friday and I got Three racks of BB's ready for the pit to supplement the leftover thanksgiving feast... guess what the folks will reach for first!
Keep the turkeys in the oven and leave the smoker for the real grub!!!

I don't cook for holidays anymore, too many in the next generation that need to make some of their own memories, (like forgetting to remove the giblet bag before oiless frying LOL). I have plenty of memories of my own. At sometime its time to turn over the reigns so they get involved and understand the enjoyment of a hot toddy standing around a warm smoker or getting up every hour all night, the night before thanksgiving thinking of things you've forgot.  <Chuckles>

When it all comes together the smiles and the stories they tell. That is the holidays. Next year they will laugh about this year, etc. I think I more enjoy their stories than having what I would consider a perfect bird.

I can cook anytime. You can enjoy turkey and dressing all year around. Watching those eyes light up when they got it right is the best part of the day.

BTW I hope everyone had a Happy Happy

Those who know my wife , will tell you. She wants to do it all! This year she can't do much of anything but tell me how she does it. Her voice is music to my ears as she is still here after 30 years to teach me her way. I did 2 14 lb birds brined w/ a cajunized tips brine . Cooked them like she said and some of the best turkey i have ever stuffed in my pie hole.

I don't cook for holidays anymore, too many in the next generation that need to make some of their own memories, (like forgetting to remove the giblet bag before oiless frying LOL). I have plenty of memories of my own. At sometime its time to turn over the reigns so they get involved and understand the enjoyment of a hot toddy standing around a warm smoker or getting up every hour all night, the night before thanksgiving thinking of things you've forgot. 

When it all comes together the smiles and the stories they tell. That is the holidays. Next year they will laugh about this year, etc. I think I more enjoy their stories than having what I would consider a perfect bird.

I can cook anytime. You can enjoy turkey and dressing all year around. Watching those eyes light up when they got it right is the best part of the day.

BTW I hope everyone had a Happy Happy
Foamheart
You hit it right on the head! Well said. I KNOW you had a good holiday. All the best to you.

Hilarious and fascinating thread!

First off, I cannot imagine ever instructing my husband, or telling him, or informing him, in any way, how to grill, smoke, or make the food, but that's just because I think he's damn good at it.

Secondly though, YES, indeed, "A Happy Wife, is a Happy Life," and thus "Yessing one" CAN in turn mean that some peace, and/or at minimum some granted television time shall exist - hopefully in tandem with good beer even, and/or wine!!?? Smiles.

BUT, a the end of the day, I think that BRIBERY is quite masterful and an exceptional way to deal with all things. "What was that spa service you wanted to go get?" is a sensational barter, and "way," to solve it all within seconds, and just beautifully so. Each time. As there is ALWAYS some kind of spa service that fixes all. Bar none. End of discussion.

OK then, that's the daily rant from over in "Leah Land." Smiles.

Happy Friday to all! I am posting something festive and fun this afternoon, in the non-fish seafood section and also in the WINO group, so come join the fun! 

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Leah

For our thanksgiving, up here, in Canada, which was in October, we did not cook a turkey.  We did a Ham.  But for Christmas, the wife’s family is having that at their Mom’s house, and we are in charge of the turkey.  Nuff said, we agreed, although it is more like the wife said, she is not sure anybody will like smoked turkey, but anyway, we are doing two birds, she is doing a 16 pound bird in the oven and I am doing a 13 pound bird in the smoker, brined and maybe injected also.  We will see which bird gets eaten first.

I have a sign hanging up above my shed, it says 'You can't tell me what to do and how to do it, if you already know the best way to do it, do it yourself!'

My wife, luckily, loves smoked food. If I say I want to smoke something, I don't hear anything else about it. That being said my dad is still the turkey master, some of the best birds I've ever ate. Everyone has their specialty that they bring to dinner, my dad's got the bird, my mom makes the homemade mac & cheese and the deviled eggs. I make the sweet potato casserole, you get the idea.

This way everyone contributes and no one is stuck slaving in the kitchen all night and day, everyone can spend time with each other. That and one GREAT dinner.

For us "older" guys, that realize there is a certain amount of nostalgia associated with holidays for our wives, standing back and helping when needed is the safest and wisest thing we could do.....  

Bride asks for smoked then finished in the oven all year long...  

For today it was "this bird does not need to be smoked"....  I guess that meant, "Stay out of my kitchen, it's Thanksgiving"....    Not exactly sure... Still can't translate some stuff after all these years....
I'm on my second marriage.  Forgot to keep my mouth shut the first time arround.  Took 30 years, but got remarried 9 years ago.  I finally realised that you have to pick your battles, or the world will rain down upon your head.  Very importand words to remember are "yes dear"  And "how can I help you make this feast"  LOL  Just sit back and enjoy.  There's still the other 364 days in the year.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky