The Raccoon & New Chix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Last week at 11p a raccoon got into the run and killed my banty rooster and injured 2 hens. I had to dispatch the hens. I been putting the chickens in the coop before dark. Last night I heard the chickens in the coop having a fit, the coon was running around the coop.... "BANG" went the 12g and no more coon.

I do have some copper marans, and few others in the brooder down in basement.

IMG_7622.JPG

Hmm.....I'm sure with a quick google search you can come up with a recipe for 'coon! Great job protecting the cluckers.

Jim

Reactions: Timber II
I feel bad for the chickens that got hurt/killed. The coon got what they deserved! Nice work.

Dave

Last week at 11p a raccoon got into the run and killed my banty rooster and injured 2 hens. I had to dispatch the hens. I been putting the chickens in the coop before dark. Last night I heard the chickens in the coop having a fit, the coon was running around the coop.... "BANG" went the 12g and no more coon.

I do have some copper marans, and few others in the brooder down in basement.

View attachment 689749
should have been last week, you could have entered coon stew!

• Haha
Reactions: KBFlyer
Next question is...did you figure out how the coon got into the coop? Got a idea on how to fix it?
Dug in under the run, took the chickens that were roosting on the bar inside the run. 6 bags of redi crete to put in under the lower run bars.

I have till the 29th to harvest coon, but being on my property its year round.

Reactions: indaswamp
Awhile back my little barn cat had a racoon treed up on the post of our front deck. Coon up top clinging for dear life, cat at the bottom without a care in the world. Cat ran him off to the ditch and we haven't seen that racoon since. Lol 😂

I ate a few coon before I became a trapper and skinned a few hundred a year…more than half have worms like bing in their joints - no more smoked coon for me lol Those duke traps work great for coon that Doug suggested - but I’ve caught plenty of skunks and possums in them too.
Good luck
Timber

Those duke traps work great for coon that Doug suggested - but I’ve caught plenty of skunks and possums in them too.
I wouldn't be opposed to catching either of those, too, but getting a now dead skunk out of it might not be much fun at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky