The black box rocks again - babybacks & siroin tip pork roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slapaho_injun

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2018
Minnesota
93F36FC2-CF7F-4E74-A4BC-2A6BC58241F4.jpeg
701F7A26-EEAF-4E39-94FE-07315F7D08E5.jpeg
8BDF4F31-3A5F-4125-97D2-98167A6D7DB8.jpeg
Did 6 racks of babybacks for me, a sirloin tip pork roast for one neighbor & some chicken wings after the pork, for my other neighbor. Everything turned out fantastic! vacuum sealed & froze the ribs we didn’t eat tonight.

Looks really good to me. Nice full smoker, and damn good color on the ribs.

Point for sure.

Chris

I put brown sugar, pure maple syrup, hot water & just a little apple cider vinegar into a spray bottle and sprayed the pork every 30 minutes. I think that made the color perfect and kept them from drying out. 3 hrs at 225 then took the picture.

Wrapped them in foil with some bbq sauce and put them back in for another 2 1/2 hrs. Let them rest in foil for a while before we ate. They were absolutely the best I’ve done yet. Fall off the bone delicious, just the way we like them.

I use hickory wood for the heat source/smoke.

The pork roast was a first for me. I did that with the ribs. Sprayed it every 30 too. Pulled at 145 just like the pros said to. Then wrapped it in foil, let it rest in the cooler for an hour before I removed the foil and set it in the pan of drippings, covered with foil and delivered it to the neighbor. Looks fantastic but I’ll have to wait to hear how it was, from the neighbor I smoked it for.

My neighbor built it for me. Insulated with roxul.
The grub looks AWESOME !!! How do you control the temperature of the black box... Just curious....

i just use hickory wood, dried & split 12” pieces. Usually two at a time, set in a 13.25” cast iron pan in the lower firebox. The pan is on a raised grate , about 1 1/2” off the floor of the firebox. I do cheat a little, just to get the wood started. I start my Webber grill with a little charcoal and when they are white.....I put them in the cast iron pan. Transfer the pan to the firebox and put my first two hickory sticks in on the coals. I also have a ThermPro TP20 thermometer with the remote so I can monitor box & meat temp with the remote, from inside my home or from the back deck. The smoker runs perfect as long as I keep a small fire and occasionally adjust the intakes or the exhaust vent. Almost effortless to keep it at 225 wide open.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky