Texan in Michigan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

txkels

Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Westland, MI
Hi y'all. I'm originally from southeast Texas but have been in Michigan the past two years. Growing up in SETX, my dad always cooked in the local Go Texan cook-offs and at Houston LSR BBQ Cook-off for a few years.. He taught me everything I know about being in the kitchen, but as a busy teenage girl, I never really hung around the bbq pits with him (and all his cookin' buddies!) so I didn't have a chance to learn much from him before he passed away.

Fast-forward twenty years, and here I am- in Michigan- and trying desperately to recreate the delicious bbq my dad used to make. I had an offset smoker, but it was small and difficult to keep hot in the middle of winter around here (had to wrap it in welding blankets last February! hah!), so I recently purchased a 40-inch Masterbuilt vertical propane smoker. I've only had it a couple weeks and so far, have only done two slabs of spare ribs. They turned out pretty good, but I know they can be better.

I enjoy reading this forum. I've see a lot of the tricks I used to see my dad doing and finally know WHY he did those things! I guess I'm more looking for some 'fatherly advice' when it comes to smoking meat, if that makes sense. I feel like I have some stupid questions and I don't just want the answers to them.. I want to know the whys and hows and what-ifs..

Like, what's the deal with the cast iron pan for the wood chip tray? I guess I get it, because I ended up covering the tray in mine mostly with foil... But like that Lodge cast iron skillet I have... will that work? And chips or chunks, or a mix of both? How should I place multiple meats in the smoker (like brisket and ribs) - and when should I throw my links of boudain in there to smoke? How long do those normally take?

Sorry.. I know this is supposed to be the 'introduce yourself' section lol. I have so many questions! Anyway.. thanks for having me. I hope to learn a lot from you folks.

Kel

Welcome to the forum Kel, You'll no doubt get plenty of responses to your questions. First cast iron is heavier and will help with the burning of the chips as it retains the heat better and doesn't warp. I think(not sure with your smoker) that chips are recommended as they burn easier. Chunks may work but will take longer to start producing smoke. Brisket over ribs or ribs over brisket it doesn't matter. On my WSM I would put ribs over brisket because the ribs will be done sooner. Never smoked boudain so not much help. You can also use the search function, as most topic's have been discussed previously. Again welcome aboard.

Chris

Reactions: txkels
U will get it all together in time.
Welcome!!:)

Oh, Cattlemans on telegraph and goddard has all the stuff for jerky and curing. Plus all great cuts of meat. I shop there every eeek

Hi y'all. I'm originally from southeast Texas but have been in Michigan the past two years. Growing up in SETX, my dad always cooked in the local Go Texan cook-offs and at Houston LSR BBQ Cook-off for a few years.. He taught me everything I know about being in the kitchen, but as a busy teenage girl, I never really hung around the bbq pits with him (and all his cookin' buddies!) so I didn't have a chance to learn much from him before he passed away.

Fast-forward twenty years, and here I am- in Michigan- and trying desperately to recreate the delicious bbq my dad used to make. I had an offset smoker, but it was small and difficult to keep hot in the middle of winter around here (had to wrap it in welding blankets last February! hah!), so I recently purchased a 40-inch Masterbuilt vertical propane smoker. I've only had it a couple weeks and so far, have only done two slabs of spare ribs. They turned out pretty good, but I know they can be better.

I enjoy reading this forum. I've see a lot of the tricks I used to see my dad doing and finally know WHY he did those things! I guess I'm more looking for some 'fatherly advice' when it comes to smoking meat, if that makes sense. I feel like I have some stupid questions and I don't just want the answers to them.. I want to know the whys and hows and what-ifs..

Like, what's the deal with the cast iron pan for the wood chip tray? I guess I get it, because I ended up covering the tray in mine mostly with foil... But like that Lodge cast iron skillet I have... will that work? And chips or chunks, or a mix of both? How should I place multiple meats in the smoker (like brisket and ribs) - and when should I throw my links of boudain in there to smoke? How long do those normally take?

Sorry.. I know this is supposed to be the 'introduce yourself' section lol. I have so many questions! Anyway.. thanks for having me. I hope to learn a lot from you folks.

Kel

Never smoked boudain so not much help.

Chris

Yeah that's mostly a southeast Texas/southwest Louisiana thing! I have to special order and have it shipped in dry ice. A little on the expensive side, but totally worth it. Thanks for the advice! I was hoping to have the brisket between noon and 2:00 on Saturday, so I'll put it in Friday evening. Even if it gets done early, I can always wrap it and keep it in a cooler for a couple hours, right? And does it hurt to wait til Saturday morning to throw the ribs on? Since they only take 4-6 hours. I'm wary about adding new meat halfway through the other being done. I'm sure there will be some temperature adjustments to do, right?

hi Kel, I am a newbie myself, I also have a house in N, Mi.I also have a propane smoker and found that I could not get it low enough to smoke my homemade sausage tried different methods but cold smoking is best for sausage. It will not melt the internal fat in the sausage causing it to dry out. the best mod was to buy an a-maz-n sawdust smoker that would cold smoke for 4-5 hrs. plenty of time for sausage. Most sausage will only take a couple of hrs. A-maz-n smoker is less than $30.00 and does a great job. I do not work for the company just think it will be best fix.Be careful you might have to look into a cure for your sausage.I know I have to mix it in when I smoke my Polish sausage.Prague powder #1. Unless you are hot smoking and cooking your sausage to above 140 deg. you will need to add an apropriate amount of cure to you sausage to avoid botulism. Dont want to see you get sick. Botulism grows in temps less than 140 deg. "Great sausage recipes and meat curing" by Rytek Kutas you can order at amazon

Last edited:
U will get it all together in time.
Welcome!!:)

Oh, Cattlemans on telegraph and goddard has all the stuff for jerky and curing. Plus all great cuts of meat. I shop there every eeek

Thanks for the tip!! I've been looking for a good place. And my son wants to make some jerky. I'll definitely check it out.

Welcome Kel !!
Glad you decided to Join us.

Below are about 100 Step by Steps with Pics.
They were mostly done in a Masterbuilt Electric, but the Times & Temps should work just like in your Gasser.
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".
All Kinds To Choose From.

Bear

One wall all spice rubs and seasonings plus jerky stuff.. as you go in. Then as you go in the walk in cooler to your left is cure and kits for jerky. Some injectors. And casings for sausage. In the cooler they have more casings hanging up. They sell fill pork bellies and brisket. A big selection of cryovaced primal cut meats.

hi Kel, I am a newbie myself, I also have a house in N, Mi.I also have a propane smoker and found that I could not get it low enough to smoke my homemade sausage tried different methods but cold smoking is best for sausage. It will not melt the internal fat in the sausage causing it to dry out. the best mod was to buy an a-maz-n sawdust smoker that would cold smoke for 4-5 hrs. plenty of time for sausage. Most sausage will only take a couple of hrs. A-maz-n smoker is less than $30.00 and does a great job. I do not work for the company just think it will be best fix.Be careful you might have to look into a cure for your sausage.I know I have to mix it in when I smoke my Polish sausage.Prague powder #1

Thanks! If I ever decide to make sausage in the future, I'll look into that. Boudain is already "pre-cooked" before it's stuffed in the casing. It's a mix of meat (usually pork), rice, spices, etc. The 'Cajun' preference is to boil it (bllech) but us Texans like to throw it on the grill or in the smoker to get the casing nice and crisp. I just wasn't sure how long it usually takes, but reckon I can keep an eye on it. If it gets done before the rest.. then heyyyy we have a snack! :D
boudin_3__80331.1463080480.500.750.jpg

Hi, Bear! And HOLY MOLY! Thanks for the link!! That's an awesome list you've put together!!

Thank You Kel !!
Those Step by Steps all worked Great using my Times & Temps, but if you try any of them, you can always make adjustments after the first round, if you might like a change or 20 later. :D
If you lose that link, it is also at the bottom of all of my posts.

Bear

Welcome to the forum!
Glad to have you join the group!
Al
Thank you Al, I am very proud to have joined, I have been smoking for over 25 yrs. and enjoy making sausages and meats on the smoker. I started with my grand father who used a 55 gal. drum to smoke all the fish that my brother and I would catch. My grandfather , from Germany, was instrumental in teaching me in the fine arts of beer making,making sour kraut, and sausage making.I have progressed since using the 55 gal. drum. I now have a array of different smokers and all have different purposes. thank you for the welcome and hope to contribute on the forum.

Welcome! First thing you need after the purchase of smoker is a good thermometer to monitor smokehouse and meat. Lots of options but I went with the the Maverick 733. Never been to TX but I am becoming a big fan the TX style cue and TX guys keep it simple. No fancy rubs or sauce. S&P (I like SPG) and oak. I used a gasser for awhile but on a whim picked up an MES and loving it. The MES is insulated... I smoked tons this winter and no issues.

Welcome Kel from your neighbor to the West across the lake. I concur with zwiller about the therm. I too have a big gasser and enjoy using it. It's not set and forget 'cause the temps will fluctuate a bit if outside. (sun wind etc. ) but a bit of attention and you'll put out some great "Tx. cue". Twelve years with the A.F. in Tx. Ate some great smoked foods there!!!!

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a cloudy, windy and warm day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Good day welcome to the forum Michigan winters we are crazy to grill all year round. And that is why I believe in cast aluminum body it is thick enough to do its thing and yet stay warm. I am really looking at the pk grill. Sorry for the tangent. I know holiday market canton has awesome meat too.
Cheers

Welcome to our group. Always good to have another Texan in the forum. ...Even if they are living in Michigan. B

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky