Taste of Grand Rapid Results

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did the judges offer critiques? I know in Chili Cookoffs I have been in they offer suggestions or reasons why I ranked where I did..

Good job on the score..Especially for the first time in a competition!

AZ, no, the Kansas City BBQ Society is the sanctioning body and the judging process does not allow for critiques per se. I'm told that at some comps, they do provide feedback. We are still new at this. But the way they slice and dice the judging data by appearance/tenderness/taste by each meat category and then the total points and rankings, you can kind of get a read on who does what to win. Still, more art than science and that, in my book, is very, very good. Thanks Grand Rapids.

bud

Great job guys and the food looked fabulas!

I am wondering though - food is very subjective in what one likes and dislikes. If there are no critiques how do you know what needs to be changed?

Debi, you are right on target. Taste as a fundamental fifth of our senses, is very subjective. Hence, we are taught to aim for semi bland, slight hint of cayanne, rubs and sauces. We would cook with more spiked rubs and saucier sauces for family and friends. We are taking a sanction judging course in October... hope that helps.

bud

Ah, the yardbird thighs.........Yet you do not wish to say the truth about them do ya?!!!! Guys, again, it was a great pleasure meeing everyone there. Laura and I loved it!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Ahhhhh, the damn chicken thigh story..................
mad.gif
O.K. i'll try the short version of this, start by saying chicken is our worst catagory, Tonto and i spent 3 hrs? cutting, trimming, hacking and wacking these things trying to get them to look presentable
icon_mad.gif
At one point had talked about canning the whole batch and putting some sauce on a bucket of KFC and winging it (no pun intended)
Well, between some pointers we got from the "pros" (all very helpful), a dream Tonto had that nite (secret sauce) and some great pit work, our garbage can thighs got us a walk to the stage!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

You'll have to ask Crewdawg, Cheech and Watery eyes how they tasted, never got a bite............
PDT_Armataz_01_02.gif
LOL

Hah! I knew y'alld do good. And nothing got dropped! Get a couple more under your belt and the only way is up.
Far as taste, sauces, etc. go it is a totally regional thing. What the judges in Grand Rapids like probably wouldn't fly in KC, or Seattle, or Dallas, or Minneapolis, or where ever. The KCBS standards are the same, but local tastes rule the judging where ever you are.
Great job guys, congrats!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Bud thats pretty dang good results with that many teams. Looks like yall have that lang smoker figured out now. Food pics looked awesome and those ribs looked fantastic.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Scotsmen... the food looks AWESOME! You guys have got to be on cloud nine! I wish I coulda been there with ya'!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky