Tasso; recipe change

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
For those that are wanting to use my Tasso recipe, I have modified it to eliminate adding the cure #1 to the Worcestershire and Hot Sauce mixture. Here is the thread where I discuss the problem:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/old-dog-learns-something-new.281446/

So, the new recipe is as follows:

4# pork butt in 1/2" steaks
1/2 cup of non-acidic liquid (water, wine, beer, etc... I used sherry wine)
5.4 grams cure #1

dissolve the cure #1 in the 1/2 cup of liquid then coat the meat thoroughly with it in a ziplock bag. Cure in refrigerator for 12 hours minimum, 36 hours maximum.

Seasoning mix:
1/4 cup table salt
1/4 cup Black pepper med. grind
1/4 cup Cayenne pepper
1/4 granulated garlic powder
1/4 dark brown sugar

When curing is complete, pat the steaks dry with paper towels. Put them in a bowl.

Mix up 1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce and 1 TBSP. Louisiana Hot Sauce. Pour this over the slabs of meat in the bowl. mix up to coat the meat evenly.

Spread the steaks out on a pan and sprinkle 1/2~3/4 TBSP. of the seasoning on each side of the meat.

Preheat smoker and preform a dry cycle @ 90~100*F to form a pellicle. Add smoke (I use oak and pecan usually) and bump temp. to 120~130* for 4~5 hours to get good smoke on the tasso. When the INT of the thickest slab of tasso reaches 110~115*, bump the temp. to ~190* to finish the tasso @165*. If you want a drier product like jerky, continue cooking to remove moisture to your liking.

Pics. tomorrow when they hit the smokehouse...

Reactions: Scott Eisenbraun
For those that are wanting to use my Tasso recipe, I have modified it to eliminate adding the cure #1 to the Worcestershire and Hot Sauce mixture. Here is the thread where I discuss the problem:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/old-dog-learns-something-new.281446/

So, the new recipe is as follows:

4# pork butt in 1/2" steaks
1/2 cup of non-acidic liquid (water, wine, beer, etc... I used sherry wine)
5.4 grams cure #1

dissolve the cure #1 in the 1/2 cup of liquid then coat the meat thoroughly with it in a ziplock bag. Cure in refrigerator for 12 hours minimum, 36 hours maximum.

Seasoning mix:
1/4 cup table salt
1/4 cup Black pepper med. grind
1/4 cup Cayenne pepper
1/4 granulated garlic powder
1/4 dark brown sugar

When curing is complete, pat the steaks dry with paper towels. Put them in a bowl.

Mix up 1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce and 1 TBSP. Louisiana Hot Sauce. Pour this over the slabs of meat in the bowl. mix up to coat the meat evenly.

Spread the steaks out on a pan and sprinkle 1/2~3/4 TBSP. of the seasoning on each side of the meat.

Preheat smoker and preform a dry cycle @ 90~100*F to form a pellicle. Add smoke (I use oak and pecan usually) and bump temp. to 120~130* for 4~5 hours to get good smoke on the tasso. When the INT of the thickest slab of tasso reaches 110~115*, bump the temp. to ~190* to finish the tasso @165*. If you want a drier product like jerky, continue cooking to remove moisture to your liking.

Pics. tomorrow when they hit the smokehouse...
I've been wanting to make tasso ham for a while now. Looking forward to pics. What recipes do you use your it in? I'd guess gumbo and jambalaya.

That along with redbeans and rice. Basically any bean really. I also make a bunch of compound butter sauces using tasso and seafood. Heavenly on fish!!

If you make it like I do, and sprinkle the seasoning on instead of pouring it all in a bag with the meat, you will end up with a product that you can serve on a charcuterie plate. The salt will be around 2% instead of up around 3%. It's very good with fig preserves and crackers, or a good cheese as an Hors d'oeuvre.

Reactions: Scott Eisenbraun
What I do usually is buy a double pack of boston butts, then I cut the fat caps off...basically the top 1~1 1/4". I cut the shoulder blade out, then I cut against the grain into 1/2" thick steaks. Any small pieces get put to the side with the fat cap. I make sausage with that, and usually freeze it until the next batch of sausage will be made.

Also great sliced thin and served with a fruit jelly as a dipping sauce. The sweet/hot thing along with the smoke is awesome! There's never any left when I bring it to a party!!

Last edited:
I want to add here that if you sprinkle the seasoning on heavy, you still will not use all of the mix in the recipe, but that is ok. If you do use it all, you will have a seasoning meat only. It will be too salty and spicy to eat alone, and you will not have to add any seasoning to the pot of whatever you are cooking it in.

So I pulled the meat out the frig. and stood the bags upside down in the sink with the ziplock seal cracked open to drain most of the curing liquid off the meat. Then I spread them out to pat the slabs dry. Pictured is a 6oz. bottle of Crystals Hot Sauce for size reference:
IMG_20181117_064829.jpg

When I had all the steaks dry, I added the Worcestershire and Hot Sauce mixture to coat them good prior to seasoning...
IMG_20181117_063926.jpg

The seasoning...
DSC02498.JPG

Right before they hit the smoker... this is how thick I like the seasoning to be.
DSC02495.JPG

In the smokehouse after 2 hours of smoke...
IMG_20181117_103359.jpg

TBS rolling out the vents. Will start stepping up the temp. in about another hour...

Some of the slabs fell apart while coating with the Worcestershire And Hot Sauce mixture. Will need to keep that in mind next time I make it.

Yes, I did sample some. Seasoning is perfect. I can tell the difference with the soaking in the wine. A little more subdued bite from the Worcestershire and Hot Sauce because it did not soak very long in it. I can taste the subtle notes from the sherry. I actually like it better. I plan on making a pot pf redbeans and rice with tasso and home smoke sausage tomorrow night...I'll post some pics.

Never had tasso. What does taste like by itself? Do you have pics of tasso served as charcuterie?
It's a really spicy, smokey ham... When I serve it as chacuterie, it's usually as an appetizer with cheese, or some type of fruit jelly and crackers.. I like fig preserves, but it goes well with numerous other flavors.

Do not have pics....but I can take some next time I serve it.

It's a really spicy, smokey ham... When I serve it as chacuterie, it's usually as an appetizer with cheese, or some type of fruit jelly and crackers.. I like fig preserves, but it goes well with numerous other flavors.

Do not have pics....but I can take some next time I serve it.
Thanks. Awesome.

Need to make room for this on my charcuterie boards.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky