SV Vessels

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

I typically just use a large stock pot as my vessel for SV. However, for Christmas Eve, I’m going to need something bigger.

Are there certain types of plastic totes that can be used for SV?

Locally, I only have access to a Walmart and Menards.

About any dishwasher safe plastic container will work. Use your imagination. I use an Igloo cooler, but this requires a hole saw to cut a hole in the lid for the heat stick. Any food grade container will work.

This is the only SV (sailing vessel) I know about,. What would you like to know other than to never buy a boat?

1670AE4D-7846-4BC1-A83F-A5A3706816C5.jpeg

SV Dolce in the Puget Sound, Washington.

You might be out of time to order but if you look on the Walmart website and search for “Cambro” they make a lot of containers of all sizes that work great for SV. Depending on your SV device they are also easy to attach and most come with lids you can easily cut to make a hole for your SV. I don’t even cut my lids. I just place them on top best I can and throw a towel over it. Only on long cooks do I ever have to top it up with hot water.

Reactions: Cody_Mack
What are you cooking ? You don't have to cut a hole in the lid , just keep the water above the level needed .
View attachment 519691
View attachment 519690

Anything that will fit what you're cooking will work .
Yup, this works as well. I cut the hole in mine because I sometimes cook for 48hrs, but for a day cook it’s not needed at all.

I'm a Cambro hoarder, yet I still choose to use an ice chest. I cover the opening with foil and push the center down, so it's just above the water line. That way, any condensation runs back into the cooler.
I rarely have to add water, even on long baths. Fill the cooler with HOT water, helps the machine come up to a steady temp.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Thanks everyone. This is very helpful.

I’ll look around to see what I can find, but looks like a simple cooler will do the trick if needed.

I am likely doing 10-12 ribeyes.

I generally will put 2 per vac sealed bag, clip on the side and make sure two bags aren’t right on top of each other.

As long as there is some water circulating around all sides of the meat, I’m good right? They don’t need a ton of room?

Also, I always clip the bags from the sides. Are there any issues or concerns with just dropping the vac sealed bags right in the water? As long as they stay submerged?

Any tricks for make sure they stay submerged?

Thanks again!

cooler.jpg Holds around 6 gallons. I have a slightly raised grill from an old toaster oven in the bottom so things can sink and still have flow around them. I've done some larger cuts and some sausage but I don't know if it would handle 10 - 12 ribeyes.
Something to think about. You don't necessarily have to do them all at once. Do half of them at a time and put them in the fridge.
They're already cooked and tenderized. When you're ready to sear let them warm a little on the counter and toss 'em on the grill.
I believe a lot of steak restaurants have been doing somethig like this for years.

Reactions: OldSmoke
Also, I always clip the bags from the sides. Are there any issues or concerns with just dropping the vac sealed bags right in the water? As long as they stay submerged?
If they don't float up your fine . I always vac pack if I'm going to submerge . Regular bags I clip to the sides .

Any tricks for make sure they stay submerged?
Here's the container I use most of the time . Got it as a gift . The container and lid were ordered from Amazon .
20191006_120616.jpg
This rack came from the kitchen storage aisle at Lowes .
20191006_120643.jpg

I clip the bags to the rack , or use a rubber band
across the middle .

20191231_155242.jpg

Steaks won't be that long of a cook so you'll be fine , but I've gone 30 to 40 hours with no lid , and no issues .
As forktender forktender mentions in post 7 plastic wrap makes a good lid . Low point over the body of the container . If I'm using the big cooler I use hot water , and boil a pot and dump it in .
I also have 2 " rigid foam cut to fit the big cooler .

Reactions: OldSmoke
You have enough help above, and I can't help with vessel size, as I have a "Sous Vide Supreme", which comes in a Steel insulated container, with a lid. It has no circulator, and makes no noise, yet it maintains temp within 1/2°. I'm limited in size, but so far it handled a 7+ pound Eye Round, without having to cut it.

Bear

Reactions: crazymoon
This container with this lid is what I've used for several years now.
Edit: just realized that lid is for the anova nano, my lid is for a regular full size one.
Screenshot_20211223-111657_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20211223-111807_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Menards $8 20 pint sterilite with gasketed lid. Glass gems from the dolllar tree vac sealed ontop of roast for a weight blanket.
20200325_215509.jpg

Reactions: illini40
Almost any container will work.... I have the Rubbermaid container with a one-piece lid, and I outfitted it with a SO-VIDA insulation sleeve. I also have an insulation band that fits round pots. My biggest container is a Coleman Party Stacker, and I use sous vide balls instead of cutting a hole in the lid.

Reactions: illini40
Menards $8 20 pint sterilite with gasketed lid. Glass gems from the dolllar tree vac sealed ontop of roast for a weight blanket.
View attachment 519840

Thank you! I actually have this exact same tote for storing clean hunting close for deer hunting, since it keeps scent out.

How do you determine if this tote or any other tote is OK to use? I thought I read that not all totes are OK to use, but I don’t know what the determining factor is.

Thank you! I actually have this exact same tote for storing clean hunting close for deer hunting, since it keeps scent out.

How do you determine if this tote or any other tote is OK to use? I thought I read that not all totes are OK to use, but I don’t know what the determining factor is.
As long as your food is bagged the vessel is nothing to worry about.

Ryan

In theory, any tote should be fine because the food never contacts the water. But to be safe, make sure it is heat and food safe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky