Stubbs Charcoal?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

carpetride

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 25, 2008
Was at Lowes tonight and they had Stubb's real wood briquettes. The bag said 95% real wood and 5% vegetable binders...anyone tried it? Price wasn't bad at $8 for 15 pounds.

I tried a search but it came up empty. Oh and every HomeDepot that I have been in has the Kingsford Comp. picked up a bag on the way home from the airport today.

I have used the Kingsford competition briquettes, but only for grilling, never smoking.  For grilling, the coals burn hotter and longer. I like lump for smoking, but am considering trying out Stubbs.

LOVE Stubbs for smoking or grilling. But I use a ceramic cooker. I don't always use Stubbs, I am an avid fan of lump as well. But when I am in a pinch (ie buy some expensive meat one week) I'll use Stubbs because it's cheaper and is pretty good. 

For smoking - Stubbs > Comp > Kingsford reg

For grilling - Comp > Stubbs (close 2nd) > Kingsford reg

Both Comp and Stubbs get HOT - Comp a little hotter, but Stubbs lasts longer. 

I have heard or read somewhere that Stubb's is made from ground up Cowboy Lump and is considered very good charcoal. Comp K is great for grilling IMHO, but forms too much ash for low and slow(used it for both), at $9 for 11lbs is way too expensive for me.

For smoking - Stubbs > Comp > Kingsford reg

For grilling - Comp > Stubbs (close 2nd) > Kingsford reg

Both Comp and Stubbs get HOT - Comp a little hotter, but Stubbs lasts longer. 
+1

Stubb's is great.  Doesn't have a chemical smell like kingsford blue bag and lasts a long time with an even burn.  So far it is my favorite charcoal.

I have heard or read somewhere that Stubb's is made from ground up Cowboy Lump and is considered very good charcoal. Comp K is great for grilling IMHO, but forms too much ash for low and slow(used it for both), at $9 for 11lbs is way too expensive for me.
Costco has it here - $14.95 for 30lbs or something. It's not 2-20lb bags, but it's close. It was $.51/lb which is what I pay for Stubbs. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky