Stubbs Charcoal?

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by carpetride, Feb 21, 2009.

1. carpetride

carpetride Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Was at Lowes tonight and they had Stubb's real wood briquettes. The bag said 95% real wood and 5% vegetable binders...anyone tried it? Price wasn't bad at $8 for 15 pounds.

I tried a search but it came up empty. Oh and every HomeDepot that I have been in has the Kingsford Comp. picked up a bag on the way home from the airport today.

2. crusty ol salt

crusty ol salt Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I have got to do some serious shoppin' and restockin' tomorrow!

Give it a test run and a report, someone has to be first

Good luck

3. pgsmoker64

pgsmoker64 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I have used the Kingsford competition briquettes, but only for grilling, never smoking.  For grilling, the coals burn hotter and longer. I like lump for smoking, but am considering trying out Stubbs.

4. flbobecu

flbobecu Smoking Fanatic

LOVE Stubbs for smoking or grilling. But I use a ceramic cooker. I don't always use Stubbs, I am an avid fan of lump as well. But when I am in a pinch (ie buy some expensive meat one week) I'll use Stubbs because it's cheaper and is pretty good. 

For smoking - Stubbs > Comp > Kingsford reg

For grilling - Comp > Stubbs (close 2nd) > Kingsford reg

Both Comp and Stubbs get HOT - Comp a little hotter, but Stubbs lasts longer. 

5. cliffcarter

cliffcarter Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I have heard or read somewhere that Stubb's is made from ground up Cowboy Lump and is considered very good charcoal. Comp K is great for grilling IMHO, but forms too much ash for low and slow(used it for both), at $9 for 11lbs is way too expensive for me.

6. reichl

reichl Meat Mopper

+1

Stubb's is great.  Doesn't have a chemical smell like kingsford blue bag and lasts a long time with an even burn.  So far it is my favorite charcoal.

7. coffee_junkie

coffee_junkie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I like stubbs, but it still produces more ash than lump. I would buy it if it is on sale.

8. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That's normal. Any briquette will produce more ash than lump will.

9. flbobecu

flbobecu Smoking Fanatic

Costco has it here - $14.95 for 30lbs or something. It's not 2-20lb bags, but it's close. It was $.51/lb which is what I pay for Stubbs. 

10. cliffcarter

cliffcarter Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Unfortunately there are no Costco's in Maine, no Restaurant Depot either.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010