Stove Gasket concern

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billbo

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 19, 2007
Upstate NY
I was going to run stove gasket around the outside of the top of my drum to better seal up the Weber lid. I bought a kit but when I read the directions it said to keep away from food. It is a fiberglass kit.

I know that a lot of people have used this on their drums and offsets. Any thoughts here? I have always been one to use caution.

Here is what I was going to do to give you a better idea. I was going to run the gasket around the lip the lid sits on.

Here is the kit I bought.

I see no reason you can't use it. For one, it's relatively low heat you're working with and two, the food will never be in contact with the gasket. I used it in one my drums.

I've seen this question come up a few times. As long as the gasket is not above the food, there is no problem. Yours is below it. In fact, that is the same gasket they sell as a replacement for the big green egg. I guess they are just concerned about any fibers falling off into food. You know how it is these days, everything comes with a warning.

I had that kit but returned it, I didn't like the idea of the fibers in my food. I use 4 big clamps I got to hold the lib on tight. It works pretty good and the clamps were 99cents each.

Should be fine.

That is the same gasket that is in between the Weber ring and the inside of the the drum on mine.

I don't think you have any thing to worry about unless you are dragging the meat across it on it's way into the smoker.
biggrin.gif
I think their concern is with the fibers but essentially its on the outside of the drum and the lid will sit on top of it.

Dave

I don't see any real benefit from sealing. And given that I do NOT want to risk getting fibergalss in my food, I'd opt not to seal.

My problem is that my Weber lid is less than perfect and I am losing a lot of air flow from around the lip. The drum will not shut off and runs too high because of this or I wouldn't even bother.

I am going to give it a whirl and see if there is any improvement.

I used the fiberglass gasket on my ECB but the glue dried out very quickly and the gasket detached in places. I replaced it with the gasket for the BGE which is a felt-like material and it has held up well.

That's because you don't have a UDS.
icon_mrgreen.gif
It's extremely important to be able to control the amount of intake air in a UDS if you want to have any chance at all of controlling the temp. It's not a matter of losing heat, it's a matter of generating too much of it because of increased oxygen to the fire.

Dave

Welcome to my world, brother.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
biggrin.gif

If you mounted it to the outside of the drum at the spot you were pointing in the pic, I think you'll be fine.

Dave

I used the gasket on my ecb lid - had to seal up the leaks if I had any hope of keeping a constant temperature. It's a very recent mod - if it fails, I will look into the green egg gasket; didn't even think of it before.

I installed the gasket yesterday. I also had a friend weld my intakes as I did have gaps around them. After welding I ran a bead of fireplace morter arond the intakes.

Hopefully this will cut down on my unwanted air flow!

I know this is a super old thread, but I thought I might get some input here.

I had a concern about installing the Grapho-glas gasket in my Master Forge Dually charcoal grill, especially since the worst gap was in the back right on the warming rack. I think I found a way to keep the fiberglass from floating around or touching the food: run a bead of high-heat silicone on any of the gasket that's on the inside of the grill. Does this sound like a good idea to anyone?

Why not just use the high heat Silicone to make the gasket instead. Run your bead on the Grill wait a few minutes then put you lid on with a piece of plastic wrap around the lip of the lid. The plastic wrap will keep the lit from sticking to the gasket until it cures. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky