Store bought corned beef smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
I'm going to smoke a little corned beef (about 2.5 lbs) today. Bought the corned beef around St. Pattys time and froze it. Thawed it out over the last couple of days, and today I soaked it for an hour, patted it dry, and it's now in the fridge uncovered. Smoker's set to 275.

I want it to eat like a little brisket meal, maybe with cornbread and potato salad. My question is, should I put anything on it before smoking? Don't want anything with salt, as I hear they are very slaty already (hence the soaking). I was thinking mustard and some pepper? Any ideas or tips? I'll post a couple pics later. Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
I like to add this to mine, just remember low and slow . So it does not get tough on you.

Nice rub for a pastrami
  • 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
  • 2 tbsp Ground Black Pepper
  • 2 tbsp Coriander Powder
  • 2 tbsp Paprika
  • 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 tbsp Onion Powder
David

Reactions: Steve H
This is good , but you can play with the amounts, to get your flavour you like

And than do it for supper your way. Or in a big bun with swiss and mustard, Just saying. lol

David
Sounds good, I'm thinking I'm going to give this a shot.
Low and slow, as in 225-250ish maybe?

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Well, new plan. It looks like we'll have a couple more people for dinner, so there's no way this little 2.5# things is going to feed everyone.
I think I'm going to make corned beef burnt ends from here: https://www.smoking-meat.com/corned-beef-burnt-ends

This will now be a little side/appetizer and I'll make some homemade mac n cheese as the main dish. Improvising!

I soak overnight and use Meatheads pastrami rub which is a Katz knock off. Love it. You can Google it and find the recipe. If you don't find it let me know.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Well, new plan. It looks like we'll have a couple more people for dinner, so there's no way this little 2.5# things is going to feed everyone.
I think I'm going to make corned beef burnt ends from here: https://www.smoking-meat.com/corned-beef-burnt-ends

This will now be a little side/appetizer and I'll make some homemade mac n cheese as the main dish. Improvising!

Very good , Thats what happens when they hear you are going to smoke something,
You smoke it , They will come

You have to bend with the wind, make you pastrami another day. :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_sunglasses:

David

Reactions: pi guy
20231113_120946.jpg
20231113_131333.jpg

Reactions: forktender
Going off script now completely (this happens a lot). Went with dijon and cracked black pepper. Think I'll do a beer/butter/brown sugar mixture to put it in when it temps 165, than back on. Then cube it up at 200? Who knows, this may be a disaster.
As we always say when trying to make a new meal, "there's always pizza if we screw this up".

Welp..

Yeah, not good. After an hour rest I tried a slice. Hard as a rock. Great flavor, decent amount of smoke. Wouldn't even be good on a bun though, unfortunately.

So I started cubing it really small and put that into the fridge. Thinking that a quick pulse or 3 in the food processor, then into a pan with some potatoes and onions and hash city.

Ahh well, I'm not mad. Glad I tried something new. And very glad it wasn't a huge brisket that I screwed up. A little pre-packaged corned beef? Meh, no big deal.

20231113_212559.jpg
20231113_212853.jpg
20231113_213316.jpg

Attachments

• 20231113_213316.jpg
    20231113_213316.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: forktender
^ You might be able to save it by braising it in a little low sodium beef broth or better yet a little bone broth. Put it in a glass casserole dish, fill the dish up 1/4 to 1/2 way up the meat, cover the dish with heatproof plastic wrap then foil. Make sure it's wrapped up tight, then put it in a 325* oven for an hour or two, by then it should be almost falling apart under the pressure of a fork, keep checking it for tenderness, sauces uncovered then serve over white rice or on a good sandwich roll.

I do this with screwed up brisket, and it works very well, I've saved a bunch of cuts using this method, try it out.

Dan

Reactions: JLeonard and pi guy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky