Steak Fajita Trials...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
I've been experimenting with some steak fajita meat. I was working with skirt steaks from HEB and then I saw a package of meat labeled "sirloin for fajita." It looks similar to skirt steak though not as marbled - has that defined grain look to it and appears to be darker red in color. No idea what it actually is?

So I marinated some in Kosher salt, granulated garlic, granulated onion, smoked paprika, New Mexico hot red chile powder, ground cumin and ground Mexican oregano with a bit of EVOO and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

This was my simple, one-ingredient bachelor breakfast this morning, with a dash of Melinda's Ghost Pepper hot sauce. Great tasting beef, whatever it actually is.
IMG_1901.jpg

Tangentially, I have some skirt steaks that I am going to experiment with Adolph's meat tenderizer today or tomorrow. I am interested to see if the stuff actually works and if it is worth using.

That's my kind of eats right there . Meat . Sure looks good .
"sirloin for fajita." It looks similar to skirt steak though not as marbled - has that defined grain look to it and appears to be darker red in color. No idea what it actually is?
This is sirloin trimmed from a beef knuckle ( sirloin tip ) . This is cut with the grain , but cross cut it shows a grain almost like flank . Great flavor .

1693657610634.png
Adolph's meat tenderizer today or tomorrow. I am interested to see if the stuff actually works and if it is worth using.
I used to use the seasoned all the time . Yellow lid . I haven't seen it here in a long time .

This is sirloin trimmed from a beef knuckle ( sirloin tip ) . This is cut with the grain , but cross cut it shows a grain almost like flank . Great flavor .

View attachment 675075

I used to use the seasoned all the time . Yellow lid . I haven't seen it here in a long time .
That looks exactly like what I bought from HEB. It tasted great!

I do have more in the fridge so I will do my Adolph's experiment on both the skirt and the sirloin today. Neither cut was unplesantly tough but I am curious about the Adolph's.

tasted great!
I get the knuckels for around $3.75 a pound , then break them down . Fantastic flavor .
The hunk on the left is a " cap " section . That might be what you had . I normally roll it into a roast .
20200302_104145.jpg
curious about the Adolph's.
The yellow lid Adolph's was my secret ingredient for chicken wings . I'll have to look for it . Been awhile since I've seen it on shelves here .

Sirloin cap. Hard to beat for anything, though more pricey than most. Thats what these kids on here call pichana. Hot and fast in little fajitas sized strips or hot and fast to medium rare for steaks, to slow for a nice roast, all delicious.

It's the best part of the sirloin. Here is the piece straight from one of your pics. Ask your HEB guy if he'll sell you a lb or 2 of the cap only.

1000000857.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
OK - Adolph's works! Gave the sirloin a sprinkle of Adolph's. I did not moisten the meat as Adolph's instructs because I figured the salt in the Adolph's would draw moisture from the meat, and then the meat would draw the salt and Adolph's back in and I let it rest for a little over 60-mintues (that seemed to work perfect as the meat was awesome). Then I gave the meat a sprinkle of granulated garlic, granulated onion, smoked paprika, ground Mexican oregano and ground cumin.

And, this time I fried some onions, added some chopped cilantro, Kraft cheddar cheese shreds, a dolop of sour cream and of course, Melinda's Ghost Pepper hot sauce.

Food heaven...

IMG_1902.JPG

Some fine looking stuff right there and a meal after my own heart: breakfast. Most of the time my "breakfast" consists of something along these lines and I have no objection to a fully loaded bacon cheese burger at 8:00 in the morning. Very nice and the input on the Adolph's is greatly appreciated. I have some but cannot remember the last time it was out of the pantry.
has that defined grain look to it and appears to be darker red in color
Oh yes!! The graininess is one aspect of the sirloin that I just love.
This was my simple, one-ingredient bachelor breakfast this morning
Yep, I'm on board with this one :emoji_wink:
Sirloin cap. Hard to beat for anything, though more pricey than most. Thats what these kids on here call pichana.
Actually it is the Brazilians who called in Picanha. That name just transferred to here by way of word of mouth. Here in the US, especially in the world of the butchers with whom I've chatted with, it is called a culotte roast. You are 100% spot on as far as pricing goes but it's well worth the additional $$ IMHO. Oddly though it's rarely if ever seen in the stores. Probably because it is not a common cut that the majority of people would recognize so it wouldn't sell.

Robert

OK - Adolph's works! Gave the sirloin a sprinkle of Adolph's. I did not moisten the meat as Adolph's instructs because I figured the salt in the Adolph's would draw moisture from the meat, and then the meat would draw the salt and Adolph's back in and I let it rest for a little over 60-mintues (that seemed to work perfect as the meat was awesome). Then I gave the meat a sprinkle of granulated garlic, granulated onion, smoked paprika, ground Mexican oregano and ground cumin.

And, this time I fried some onions, added some chopped cilantro, Kraft cheddar cheese shreds, a dolop of sour cream and of course, Melinda's Ghost Pepper hot sauce.

Food heaven...

So it sounds like Accent did help to tenderize the sirloin.
Surprised sirloin needed tenderizer though. Should help more with your inside skirt, if that's what you got. Outside skirt shouldn't need any tenderizer.

tx smoker tx smoker I just bust huevos cause it truly is a new fad that's been around forever, like tri tip. Tri tip was always popular out west, here in the east you couldn't give the stuff away 30 years ago (when I learned to cut meat). Culotte came to us from France if I'm not mistaken, or maybe Acadia. I've seen it on the menu a few times in some steakhouses, which is a shame because while ribeye is king, it is as flavorful as the spinalis (ribeye cap) or Denver cut but without the marbling. It does sound better than sirloin cap or rump cap lol. In the steakhouse I managed we called it a Cap Steak, and once people got turned on to it, it sold better than strips by far.

So it sounds like Accent did help to tenderize the sirloin.
Surprised sirloin needed tenderizer though. Should help more with your inside skirt, if that's what you got. Outside skirt shouldn't need any tenderizer.
Not so much that the sirloin "needed" the Adolph's but more it was the piece of meat I had ready to try the Adolph's on. Pleasantly surprised though how good it worked - the tacos were great, in spite of the "whipped cream!"

Re: skirts steaks all I know is that I bought a cryovac package from HEB - pretty sure they were plain old skirt steaks - 2 complete pieces in the cryovac (I portioned and froze). Very tasty, just none thawed for today!

Alright I bought a skirt steak and gave it the Adolph's treatment and let it rest 30-minutes on the counter before dusting it with granulated garlic and ground black pepper and searing it in a pan.

The stuff works!! Them skirt steaks sure are tasty!

tx smoker tx smoker I just bust huevos cause it truly is a new fad that's been around forever, like tri tip.
I understand that sir and you're 100% correct again about the "fad" concept. That cut was totally foreign to me until my sales manager at CPB brought it to my attention. Tri tip seems to be coming more available whereas it was totally devoid in some regions. Gotta say though, I do love a tri tip but the Picanha / Culotte / Sirloin Cap is a hard cut to beat. We actually prefer it over tenderloin.
Tri tip was always popular out west
Yep, how true once again. Got several friends from the west coast who just raved about tri tip and it was available everywhere. They come to TX and can't find it for anything. Now it's coming available at a price point that boggles their minds. It used to be considered a "budget cut" but now is commanding a premium price.

Robert

Well, I still think that skirt steaks are good, and benefit from Adolph's...

View attachment 675075

Had to let you know - I purchased more "butterflied sirloin for fajita" and I marinated it in extra virgin olive oil, smoked paprika, hot red chile powder, cumin, Mexican oregano, crushed fresh garlic, fresh squeezed lime juice, Kosher salt, AND, a diced ghost pepper (seeds removed), and let it rest overnight in the fridge.

I just seared a piece for breakfast and my God is that good. I might never buy a skirt steak ever again...

The beef knuckles ( sirloin ) I buy get used for a lot of cooks . Just a great cut of beef .
I'll smoke the roast to 120 ish , then rest overnight . Then can be slice for sandwiches , or makes great stir fry .
20200917_151916.jpg
20200917_190053.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky