Special cook for a special lady.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well, the wife and I decided to celebrate Mother's Day early this year. So, on Saturday I fired up the 26" Kettle and did my darndest to make a meal she'd be happy with. I dug this slab of beef out of its deep freeze on Sunday, and the rest is history. Hope you enjoy.

First the victim: A two bone roast bought in 2022. Sprinkled with SnP.
DSC03112.JPG

Then I layed out a bed of cut up veggies for some dipping sauce:

DSC03114.JPG

Gotta have a good cold beer when spending the afternoon outside tending the pit. The beer-pole has me covered.

DSC03118.JPG

After 15 mins. in a 550* oven to get the browning started it was time to head outside. Kettle temps started at 175* when I put the meat on, and I let her slowly rise to 250* during the cook.
Veggies and beef broth are playing catcher underneath. SnS is providing the heat.
DSC03123.JPG

...And she's out resting. This hunk of beef was pulled at 117*.
DSC03127.JPG

All sliced up after a half hour resting period under a tin-foil tent.

DSC03132.JPG

Sorry no plated shots, but my dinner plates are kind of boring since I only put one piece of food on my plate at a time.
Thanks for taking a look. It was a good dinner, and much appreciated by my better half. Happy Mothers Day to all our Motherly
members and to those who are not Mothers happy Mothers Day to your spouse.

Chris

Chris, you nailed it! man that looks perfect! kinda jealous. my wife would think that is too underdone to eat, while I would eat the whole thing. And she is out of town again.

Enjoy the meal and each other.

Reactions: gmc2003
Perfect Chris, at least i looks like you had decent weather, windy and rainy here all weekend.

Happy Mothers day to the wife.

Nice cook! Perfectly done! Looks like you both had a great meal!

Ryan

Chris, you nailed it! man that looks perfect! kinda jealous. my wife would think that is too underdone to eat, while I would eat the whole thing. And she is out of town again.

Enjoy the meal and each other.
Thanks sandy. I'm am lucky my wife like it rare. It makes cooking so much easier. Now if I can her to drop the BBQ sauce on her ribs. I'd be in heaven.

Holy cow! (pardon the pun) That is a gorgeous hunk of meat! You did good.

Jim
Appreciate it Jim. The roast was in a state of deep freeze for so long I was kinda worried about it.

Chris

Very nice Chris and no way your wife would not be pleased with the meal and effort for her special day

David

Thank you kindly David. This was way to much meat for us. So I asked her if she wanted me to vacuum seal up what we didn't eat, and she said "No way in hell".

Great job!
Looks really good!
Appreciate it Justin. BTW how ya been old buddy. I haven't seen you on site much lately.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Nice chunk of beef.

No beer on a pole here today...blowing 20-30mph.
Ha Norm. I think we're experiencing our one week of summer this weekend and into next week. Temps are supposed to hit 80*.
Perfect Chris, at least i looks like you had decent weather, windy and rainy here all weekend.

Happy Mothers day to the wife.

Appreciate it Cliff. Only minor wind here and temps in the 60s. Supposed to hit 80 sometime next week, and a happy mothers day to yours.

Chris

Reactions: clifish
Nailed it man. Thanks for the beer pole shot. Perfectly executed.
Appreciate it Ringer. The beer-pole plays an important part of my cooking. It hasn't let me down yet.

Nice cook! Perfectly done! Looks like you both had a great meal!

Ryan

Thanks for the compliment Ryan. It was a fabulous day and a good meal for sure.

Chris

LOL! When we met she used A1 on steak...i wanted to die. took years to get her off that.
I wonder if our wives are related. Mine will use A1 on cheaper cuts of meat and for leftovers.

Some beautiful work on that slab of beef Chris, cooked to perfection!
Points 4 sure! RAY

Appreciate it Ray. First slower cooked meal of the year and I was happy with the results.

Chris

Wow! That looks perfect! Perfect cook! I think prime rib works ideal on the kettle. I never browned in the oven first, I will try that next time! Points!

Thanks Jed. Yeah the oven trick works good. Just take a softened stick of butter and rub the roast with it. Then apply your seasoning. The butter helps keep the seasoning on. Then pop the roast in your oven at it's highest temp for about 15 to 20 mins.. I let the roast sit about 10 min. uncovered before I put it on the grill. Any part of the butter that touched to roast. I'll slice into little slabs and toothpick onto the meat so it melts while cooking. I hope my directions aren't to confusing. I have a way of doing that.

Chris

Nice work Chris . Perfectly cooked . High heat gets her sealed up , keeps the juice inside .

Nice job on that beef Chris, it looks perfectly cooked!

And you can’t ask for a better beer on the pole, that GCA is without a doubt my all-time favorite beer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky