Spatchcocking Turkey and then splitting again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tomclapham

Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
I have a 14.5 WMS bullet and I'm smoking a 12 lb. turkey. I was thinking of spatchcocking it, but I don't think it'll fit on the little grill. Have you ever done one by spatchcocking and then split that in half and put half on the upper level and the other on the lower rack? I don't see anything that it will hurt, do you? Estimated smoking time? Thanks in advance.

I have done a whole 10 lb turkey in my mini WSM. Im pretty sure it will fit whole being 2 lbs larger. And yes, if you split it, put one half on top and one on the bottom rack.

I drilled a small hole in the lid of my WSM right in the very top underneath the handle and installed a J-hook. Truss the bird and tie the legs of the turkey together REAL TIGHT with butchers twine. You can hang the bird vertically from the legs by the hook with the breast down, and no grates in it at all. This will stretch the bird longways rather than it being fat and round sitting on a grate.

Hi there and welcome!

I don't use a WSM but I think you will be fine. You might need to rotate the bird or plan for the halves to come off at separate times. Birds cook up faster than other kinds of meat so I wouldn't imagine one half coming off more than 30-45 minutes after you pull the first half to finish.

Hopefully someone with a WSM will chime in :)

Dollar Tree has these paper towel holders that are 6" diameter base and 12" tall. Put on the bottom rack. If it's tippy tie wire to rack. Works good.
KIMG0146.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky