Sopressata..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You may have left out some steps in your description of the process... From what I read, it sounds as if some curing parameters were missing in your curing/aging process......

Probably the most important step is using distilled water... then the correct temperatures and humidity....

Bactoferm T-SPX (Pediococcus pentosaceus and Staphylococcus xylosus)
Summary:
For slow and minimal acidification. Fermentation ends when sugars are used up for lactic acid production, at which point the pH will steady (or rise) and moisture removal will be main safety hurdle (3”. Slow culture targeted for fermentation temperatures 65°F-80°F. For traditional fermentation the temperature should not exceed 75°F. Typically sugar is used for these products. This culture is for products that take months to fully complete (includes drying), and can be used for slow fermented small diameter products as long as safety hurdles are overcome, i.e. Water Activity level (

I put in all ingredients except for white pepper and the black pepper was grd not whole. Also I skipped the wine.

I incubated the starter at 26C (instead of 30) and normal ambient R/h. R/h was clearly lower than the 90% required - I assumed the culture could handle it. Saw other fellows here doing it at household r/h levels.

Didn't use distilled water...the culture package did not ask for it. But it was water from the Brita jug (chlorine free after sitting for hours on the counter).

Last edited:
Lack of surface mold growth is likely due to too low a temperature and relative humidity.
If your air temperature is less than 10° C, then the surface temperature of the sausage is most likely less than that due to evaporative cooling, especially if the relative humidity is low.

HTH

Last edited:
Lack of surface mold growth is likely due to too low a temperature and relative humidity.
If your air temperature is less than 10° C, then the surface temperature of the sausage is most likely less than that due to evaporative cooling, especially if the relative humidity is low.

HTH

I thought so...yet I hoped these were hardy cultures...
Too bad...love that white mold look.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky