Sometimes a change up is in order

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Been going through the standard smoking of a number of things. The usual suspects are brisket, butts, ribs, dino bones, chicken, tri-tip, picanha and a few others. A some point you really want to have an alternate something for dinner. Last night it came to me. Salmon on a plank. One of the best things my dad left me with was his marinade for salmon. So simple, yet elegant in that it does not mask the flavor of the beautiful fish. 4 tbs olive oil, 2 tbs COLD soy sauce (50% reduced sodium), juice from 1.5 limes, a healthy dash of ground cloves and a couple tbs of dill weed. Whisk vigorously to create an emulsion and pour over the salmon in a baking dish. Place in the fridge for an hour. Then its on a soaked plank and grilled for appox 25 minutes on medium heat (350-375º). Always pour a little of the marinade over the salmon once placed on the grill. These still had another 5-7 minutes before they were done.

IMG_0197.jpg

Then the experiment for the evening. Air-fried brussels sprouts with bacon that have been tossed in a mixture of melted butter, garlic powder, salt & white pepper for 10-12 minutes. Cyd has a pepper sensitivity ergo the white vs black. Key to sprouts is to remove the outer layer which can be a bit bitter. Then slice in half. Add a dinner roll (not shown) and of course a nice glass of a red blend and dinner is ready. What a nice change of pace. Salmon was perfect and the sprouts accompanied it well. If you can hear me, thanks again for the perfect marinade Dad. Miss you a bunch.

IMG_0201.jpg

Of course, the plating shot.

Edit: mistake, the marinade did not have MACE (cousin to nutmeg). I used ground cloves.

Last edited:
Nice.

We do brussels in the airfryer quite a bit.That marinade sounds like it would be a great pre-soak for bluefish before going on the smoker.

Reactions: schlotz
Gorgeous looking plate Matt, nice piece of work! Fresh caught salmon and artichokes used to be a right of spring dinner after the opener in Monterey. No ocean here in AZ. RAY

S, The salmon marinade sounds delicious and I like air fried sprouts. I will try that marinade as well as your Dad's salmon marinade.

The sprouts look very interesting. Meal must've been delicious.

And yes, a break from the usual suspects is welcome.
It was, we both chowed down.
That salmon looks so tasty Matt. I have one planned this week. Was planning on dry brine but might re-think it.
I encourage you to try the marinade Brian. You won't be disappointed.

Man thats a great looking meal. And a change up is always good.

Jim
Yeah, was getting tired doing the same things. Always good to throw in a curve ball.

Wow! A planked Salmon where ya don't trash the fish and eat the plank!?
J/K
Though the plank does look good enough to lick.

Salmon would get devoured, and I always have liked Brussel Sprouts.
Nice cook/dinner.
Thanks John!
Looks awesome! The wife loves Brussels sprouts, we roast them in the oven and they look similar to yours
Thanks! We sometimes do the same prep but placing in a pot of boiling water and chicken bouillon for 6m30sec MAX. Drain, stir in 1-tbs of butter and serve topped with parmesan reggiano.

Nice.

We do brussels in the airfryer quite a bit.That marinade sounds like it would be a great pre-soak for bluefish before going on the smoker.
Never tried it on other fish. Might be good. Thanks for the idea.

Salmon looks good Matt.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris!

Wonderful, simply wonderful! :emoji_thumbsup:
Glad you liked it!

Nice work there Matt, salmon looks delicious.
Hey Eric, it was very tasty. Thanks for dropping by.

Looks great and I love salmon! Forgive me though, what is a dash of Mace? Just ground pepper?
My BAD, mistake it was NOT MACE (cousin to nutmeg) I used ground cloves. I've updated the post to clear that up. Thanks for the comment!

That is one fine looking meal. Great job!
Try it Dave, bet you'll like it!

Gorgeous looking plate Matt, nice piece of work! Fresh caught salmon and artichokes used to be a right of spring dinner after the opener in Monterey. No ocean here in AZ. RAY
Hey Ray, I know we were able to find good salmon when I use to visit my Dad who lived in Phoenix. Hopefully there should be some near you or up in Mesa. Thanks for the kind words.

S, The salmon marinade sounds delicious and I like air fried sprouts. I will try that marinade as well as your Dad's salmon marinade.
Marinade used was my Dad's. Try it, I'm positive you'll be very pleased.

That looks fantastic . I've only had salmon one time . Wasn't my thing . I bet what you did here would change my mind . That looks awesome .

Went to the market and grabbed some salmon and a couple limes and will be giving this a go tonight.

That looks fantastic . I've only had salmon one time . Wasn't my thing . I bet what you did here would change my mind . That looks awesome .
Wow Rich, I wouldn't have expected that. Give it try!

Went to the market and grabbed some salmon and a couple limes and will be giving this a go tonight.
Great, let us know how it turns out. Hint: once you put the marinade on, use your hands to make sure all sides have been covered with it and then place the flesh side down so it's exposed to the marinade while in the fridge.

Great, let us know how it turns out. Hint: once you put the marinade on, use your hands to make sure all sides have been covered with it and then place the flesh side down so it's exposed to the marinade while in the fridge.
Already ahead of you my friend!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky