Some pix of the Rib-off

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richtee

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 12, 2007
N. Oakland County, MI
A shot of me and my two partners for the day, my SMF apron and Jimmy B.

The folks supplies next to me. Not much to say...errr can be said?

And another team's methodology. Yes, that's an oven bag.

My buddy Vince, the Bob Segar twin- AKA NCSweet here

The first pan goin' in

Which would YOU pick? Ah well.

I was entry #7 - I did not win. The one entry I was worried about at ALL did not win. Those goopy ones to the left were the eventual winners. Second place was awarded to what looked to me like a pan of pulled pork with bones sticking out.

I have come to the conclusion that people up here generally don't know a good rib if it hits them in the head. They have eaten too many poor examples all their life in the North I figger. Plus side... I kept 3 slabs :{)
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Yours looked real good. I think so many people have become accustomed to eating out and fast food they don't know what good is. I also think these places put some addictive substance in their products to keep em coming back and only satisfies their taste buds.LOL. Did ya see anyone with micro or a ronco rotisserrie.? hehe

It's obvious why ya didnt win R..........You only had a "Major" size bottle of JB. Ya needed a "General" size!!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Heh ya may be onto something. Actually it was a "Major-General" Liter... but perhaps I did meed the heavier artillery
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

AHHHH they dont know how real cookin is done, looks like you did mighty well ribs look awesome shame on them!
cool.gif

Sounds like they were looking for 'Rib Mush' smothered in sticky sauce .
icon_rolleyes.gif

You gave the real meat with some texture and a great smoked flavor that didn't need smothering with sauce
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Next time give them a 3-3-1/2 with 3 hours of braising in the foil with
sauce
eek.gif
Pour them into the pan and let the judges enjoy.
Have a few racks that "accidentally " didn't "turn out right " for good eats to take home
wink.gif

Nice lookin pics Richtee, is this your first comp? You would be amased at what people use to smoke their meat let alone preparing it
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

That's the bugger of it Allen; we took second place in ribs at a KCBS style cookoff this spring... so I KNOW how to make a decent rib...but...

Come on Rich, you know the real reason you didn't win.

You forgot to boil them ribs first! Don't ya know that's how it's done.

I gave up caring a long time ago what other people think, including how my ribs taste.

I just had a big bbq with way too much food as usual. The only thing I ran out of? The pulled pork! I guess the Northeasterns here have a more refined plate then those up your way. LOL

Maybe you should bring those ribs of yours to a few NY contests, lol.

There ya go, teasin me with pics of men in aprons.....there's nothing better lookin than a man in an apron...
cool.gif
redface.gif
lol

Sorry about the loss Rich, some folks just don't know what a good rib is supposed to taste like.

Looks to me like ya did good. I also see that it looks like a nice place to have the event, near a lake and all. Is that Your lighter fluid over by the other peoples soaked wood?
eek.gif

Good lookin ribs. You are correct about the general public in this area having no clue on what makes a good rib. I did some baby backs(3 racks) yesterday at my buddies house in Livonia. The folks there went nuts over them but along with the compliments a few people asked me if I boiled them first to get them so tender and juicy. Kinda deflates ya don't it? And one lady proceed to tell me how she cooks her ribs in the crock pot all day and the meat just fall off the bone when she get home from work.
confused.gif

I'd say ya did good, poor judging be damned! Even if ya didn't win, at least someone there that day got a taste of ribs done right.

The "real secret to perfect ribs" lies in braising in foil. Once they look like poached fish slather in cheapo sauce. That'll win next time I'm sure
biggrin.gif

It's actually an island. Just got back from picking up the gas grill I barrowed to do the "1" on 'em.

No, Dan LOL...they had a Weber kettle... stunk me outta my spot for a half hour while they poured the petroleum distillates to the Kingsford bricks. Ugh!

Good to put a face with posts. Hope you had a good time even though you didnt win. Never been in a competition or even been to a competition. Looks like fun. Maybe some day, after soaking up all the knowledge from you guys and plenty more practice (years and years) I might enter one.

Take care,

Matt

I agree... most people are used to "rib stew" you can eat with a spoon to get all the sauce and mush. Hell, before y'all got me hooked on smoking ribs the right way, that's what I was used to also !I want my ribs tender but with just a bit of resistance when pulling it from the bone. I don't think those 1st place ribs woulda won in the real big competitions. In fact, I know they wouldn't have.
hey Rich, at least ya gots some GoodEats out of it antway!

Sorry about the loss, Rich! Maybe you didn't use enough "liquid smoke" on your ribs
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky