Snack sticks temp question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't think it will hurt anything if you are talking about going that high on a pellet cooker or something. A lot of people really baby their sausage maybe just because they can with really high end electric cookers. I use a WSM and I generally go around 150 and then when I feel like its got enough smoke I bump up to 180. I just think you'll need to go above 165 at some point or the snack sticks could take way too long.

Dustin, I am being cheap -- trying not to buy a TSM electric smoker. I have a good pellet smoker, but it only goes to a minimum of 165F. Moving up the temp is not a problem. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Dustin Dorsey
I start low at 130 and step up to 165.

ppsl4ba64e8df9d14cec-20240306140239744.JPG

Beef fat has a higher rendering temp than pork supposedly. I like to use the hard deckle fat from trimming briskets so maybe that's why I don't seem to have that much trouble.

This is my major concern. Beef only.
Yes, beef fat does have a higher melting temp., but too long at 165*F could cause issues. If you choose to do this, I'd watch the internal temp, and once it reaches 136*F, start a timer and pull them after 45 minutes. The internal temp. will surely have risen a little more, but in either case the sticks are cooked as per the USDA pasteurization charts.

But I do agree with Rick....if you can start off lower temp. it is best.

Reactions: okie sawbones
Yes, beef fat does have a higher melting temp., but too long at 165*F could cause issues. If you choose to do this, I'd watch the internal temp, and once it reaches 136*F, start a timer and pull them after 45 minutes. The internal temp. will surely have risen a little more, but in either case the sticks are cooked as per the USDA pasteurization charts.

But I do agree with Rick....if you can start off lower temp. it is best.
I agree with pasteurization. However, I would just push them up closer to 150, this is a texture thing for me, but that said, I agree that 45min after reaching 136* you can pull them regardless, I just like them a little more done with beef or poultry. Pork I pull at 145*.

I agree with pasteurization. However, I would just push them up closer to 150, this is a texture thing for me, but that said, I agree that 45min after reaching 136* you can pull them regardless, I just like them a little more done with beef or poultry. Pork I pull at 145*.
The extended time at temp. is my concern here.......when stepping up temps. I would agree with you.....

The extended time at temp. is my concern here.......when stepping up temps. I would agree with you.....
Now we are arguing over the detail of quality. At that I 100% agree with you, however, lots of members don’t want nor need to pursue that level of quality. So the question is, what works. Then if they are interested to go up to the next level we can push those methods, but those upper methods aren’t for everyone.

You can finish sausage in a pellet grill just fine. Been there and have the tee shirt. The quality though, is no where near what we do in a smokehouse. I wish everyone on this site had one, but sadly they don’t. The meat can still me finished though. Then if they choose we can enable them. Most don’t understand what we know Keith. So I try to help them with my experience and with what they have.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky