Venison snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NoDakHunter

Original poster
Feb 21, 2024
Hey all, I have a question regarding the finished IT temp for snack sticks, I mixed and cured my meat 2 days before I stuffed and smoked them. When I pulled them off I found a few sections of them that were only 135-140 degrees. My smoker hasn’t been running very consistent. I am wondering if the whole batch is shot? Some points were at 160 or over. However every section I cut looks good. Thanks for your help

Hey all, I have a question regarding the finished IT temp for snack sticks, I mixed and cured my meat 2 days before I stuffed and smoked them. When I pulled them off I found a few sections of them that were only 135-140 degrees. My smoker hasn’t been running very consistent. I am wondering if the whole batch is shot? Some points were at 160 or over. However every section I cut looks good. Thanks for your help
Personally (speaking for myself) if the meat was deer or elk, and cure #1 was added I’d have no problem eating them. If it was Bear or feral hog maybe not so much. I have though eaten a lot of medium-ish deer and elk and am still here no worse for the wear.

Reactions: crazymoon
As was asked earlier... how long were they in the smoker? And how long at what finish temps? At 135 to 140 degrees they can become pasteurized and be safe to eat.

Ryan

I would say they were in for around 3-4 hours, I’m new to processing so I appreciate all the feedback!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky