smoking turkey with stuffing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

topbud

Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
I have always been told that I shouldn't put stuffing in the turkey when smoking it. I have been smoking the bird on T-Day for the last 14 years without stuffing and it has always turned out great. In preparations for the day, my family requested that I stuff the bird with stuffing. I was going to try the lots of butter bird from this site this year, but am curious about putting stuffing in there and not getting anyone sick. I have a MES30" and was planning on following the directions to a T. Can you guys give me some insight please. If it is not advised, anyone have a great smoked stuffing recipe?
Thanks. I think Thanksgiving is the best day of the year for smoking
Thanks

My gut instinct is to say not to do it.

First of all, I would be worried about the core of the turkey and turkey juices not getting through the danger zone and to safe temp for a stuffed bird. Next I would worry that the stuffing might have some bad mojo-turkey juices that aren't safe as well. Lastly, I would have no idea how long it would take to smoke a stuffed turkey - but I would bet it is a LOT longer since the hot air can't get into the chest cavity.

I would suggest making a dish of stuffing and placing it in the smoker though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky