Smoking time considerations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrwizardgi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Nebraska
Next weekend I'm having some colleagues over for a back to school gathering. I'm planning on smoking a couple of chickens and a couple of butts (of which will be my first attempt) and also having some burgers and dogs available as well.

Up until now the most I've ever had in my smoker at one time was a chicken and a fatty. Will I need to adjust cooking times as I add more food to the smoker? Or, will I just need to run a hotter fire as I add things along the way in order to keep the temps. up?

Thanks for all of your help in advance!

J-

If you can keep the temps up, the times won't be affected much, but you will go through more fuel to maintain the temps with the extra cold mass(es) in there.

If you can't keep the temps up, then it will definitely take longer.

I would recommend overshooting your target cook temp on your initial warm up. If you plan on cooking at 250 then heat your smoker up to 275-300 then add the meat, but the time you get the meat loaded and the door shut, you hopefully will be right on the money and hit the ground rolling and not have to worry about temp recovery.

Are you putting the butts on early then adding the chicken later so it gets done at the same time? I am doing a butt tomorrow but i am doing a breakfast fattie in the morning, some ribs in time for lunch, then some abts in the afternoon all while the butt goes all day. I was thinking of doing some beans or corn on the cob in the smoker for side dishes. Now I am starting to think I am gonna be opening and closing that door all day long and that is really going to affect my temps. Not sure if that is something you will have to worry about depending on your timeline?

The old standby says add 15 minutes for every time you open your door. I know that will vary depending on the smoker, but it adds time without a doubt as the temps drop

If you're lookin' you ain't cookin'

Thanks for all of the help and info.

Wutang- I am planning to start the butts in the early am then adding the chix mid-day so that everything is hopefully done by 6 or so. I am doing the burgers and dogs on the gasser as guests arrive etc. so that they are ready to go just in case the smoked meats aren't quite done yet. I'm hoping I can pull it off...If you've read my other posts I've had trouble keeping temps up. I got my new chimney so we'll see if I can get 'er going and keep 'er going!

Thanks again all.

J-

What time are you starting. I have seen a lot of 8-9 lb butts but I don't want to get up at 3am to start the fire. I am gonna try to find one about 6 or so pounds so I can sleep to a decent time-I am lazy that way I guess

Amen to that! I'm looking at getting two 5/6 lbers. and starting them at the butt-crack of dawn or a bit earlier. I thought about setting up my telescope and doing some star gazing and smoking on the overnight!

J-

I do wanna do an overnighter-just not yet. Start one evening while drinking beer then into the morning while drinking coffee then into the afternoon while drinking beer, then eat a mountain of pork. Sounds like a good time to me

Got room fer a few bricks in the bottom a that thin? Get yerself some thermal mass in there, it will heat up an hep even out temp swings an recovery times from openin the door fer spritz an what not. Works well in my GOSM, should in yers to ifin ya got the room that is! Good luck an may the smoke gods smile upon yer cooker!

I do have a couple of bricks lyin' around here. That's not a bad idea...Thanks a bunch!

J-

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky