SMOKING HAWG QUESTION ABOUT BRIQUETTES vs WOOD IN STICK BURNER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
For many years I have always smoked all my pork with wood. Pecan, Oak or Hickory. I start my fire with briquettes to have a starting heat source then start laying the wood to her! I love watching the TBS. Never too smokey for me and friends. Always just right with that good ole hint of smoke like you want. The wife asked me today if I could smoke Pork Butts, Pork tenderloin and Beef Brisket without wood and go straight charcoal as she would like to see how it taste without the smokiness. HAHAHA!!! Guess she didn't want to tell me she is tired of eating smoked meat. Question is, Does anyone out there go straight charcoal and zero wood in their stick burner smoker?

Reactions: Fueling Around
I have cooked with just briquettes and the smoke is still there as the briqs are made of wood. The smoke is not as strong but still there.

Your all natural RO briquettes will give you a good light smoke if you don't have to keep them blazin' hot to maintain temp.Or make sure some are off to the side of the main fire.

Your all natural RO briquettes will give you a good light smoke if you don't have to keep them blazin' hot to maintain temp.Or make sure some are off to the side of the main fire.
Will do. The RO All Natural is what I use now. That just might be the ticket. I had already planned on smoking some Saint Louis Ribs tomorrow. I have 3 bags of RO already in the shed. Gonna give it a shot.

Would using briquettes only be enough smoke flavor for a bigger hunk of meat like brisket or butts? I would say you might as well do it in the oven.

Would using briquettes only be enough smoke flavor for a bigger hunk of meat like brisket or butts? I would say you might as well do it in the oven.
I will be finding that out very soon. I think it would work just fine. Time will tell. I will post my results tomorrow when I do the Saint Louis ribs. Maybe a few days before I do another Boston Butt.

Reactions: DustyJoe84
I usually smoke primarily with Kingsford Blue while supplementing with a few oak chunks throughout the cook. I always have a solid smoke ring and good smoke flavor. not sure how it compares to straight wood.

Just need to make sure the wood is burning clean.TBS! For me, I do ALL wood. Going to start wrapping earlier for the folks that like a little less smoke flavor.

I had some whole hog smoked on a old style pit BBQ about a month ago. The guy smoking it burnt his wood separate and then shoveled the coals from that over to the pit ever so often.

It was yum, but it wasn't smokey yum.
IMG_20190329_184012.jpg IMG_20190330_171126.jpg

I had some whole hog smoked on a old style pit BBQ about a month ago. The guy smoking it burnt his wood separate and then shoveled the coals from that over to the pit ever so often.

It was yum, but it wasn't smokey yum.
View attachment 393557 View attachment 393558
Seen that done before. For some reason my ribs are perfect for the wife. Just hint of smoke and I smoke them with 90% wood. Butts have more smoke however, in my view not to much for me and my buddies. Wife just asked if I could cut the smoke a little. Gonna try to do that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky