Smoking a whole ham question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmgsmoking

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
So my wife bought a whole 18lb pre cooked ham with skin and bone. I was planning on smoking a spiral cut half pre cooked ham. I am having trouble finding any info on smoking a whole ham. Specifically needing time. Everything I find is fairly general, but says 20 or so mins per lb.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Please help, as I am smoking this for Easter tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks.

Welcome to SMF!

Trim off the skin & most of the fat & smoke it until an IT of 140. Let it rest for a half hour & the carryover cooking will bring it up to 145.

It will take longer than your spiral ham, but with the bone in & not being sliced it will be much more juicy.

At 225 your probably looking at about 8 or 9 hours.

Al

Got up at 4:30 so I could get it on the smoker by 5. I cross scored the top and put a brown sugar rub on it. I was figuring 9 hours or so. I also am spritz ingredients it with orange juice every hour. Hoping it turns out good.

The digital food thermometer on my gmg is going crazy and keeps bouncing between 90 and 250. Which I only have the gmg set to 225 so I don't know why it's going that high, guessing it's just broken...

Thanks for the help, I will report back with my results!

9 hours sounds too long. I think last ham i did was under 5 hours. 140 IT is good number. Well then again i was @250

Last edited:
Ended up going for about 7.5 hours. Turned out amazing. The OJ spritz added a really nice orange flavor on the skin.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky