Ham done too soon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Someguyonaroof

Original poster
Nov 17, 2023
East of PDX
Hello, I'm relatively new to smoking (I've smoked a couple shoulders for pulled pork and a good number of chicken wings and thighs) and this is the first project that was hard to pin down. I've got a 22lb pork leg that I cured and from what I could find online (vast as it is) I was looking at a very long time smoking and had some concerns with it getting done in time for dinner on thursday afternoon. I've been using an older traeger that has been left in my care and with the ambient temps in the 40s it was having a hell of a time when it was set at 180, so I had to set it to 225. It's now 7pm and its done (I was aiming for 160IT but ended up with 170 in some spots).

So now my problem is that I have my ham resting at 715 at night and I'm not looking to start cutting into it until around 4pm tomorrow. Should I just get it into the fridge once it's done resting and then reheat on the smoker tomorrow or throw it in the electric reheat thing tomorrow (in previous years we threw the store bought pre-done ham in there with some water in the bottom to heat it up)

I appreciate any advice

Reactions: JLeonard
Hello, I'm relatively new to smoking (I've smoked a couple shoulders for pulled pork and a good number of chicken wings and thighs) and this is the first project that was hard to pin down. I've got a 22lb pork leg that I cured and from what I could find online (vast as it is) I was looking at a very long time smoking and had some concerns with it getting done in time for dinner on thursday afternoon. I've been using an older traeger that has been left in my care and with the ambient temps in the 40s it was having a hell of a time when it was set at 180, so I had to set it to 225. It's now 7pm and its done (I was aiming for 160IT but ended up with 170 in some spots).

So now my problem is that I have my ham resting at 715 at night and I'm not looking to start cutting into it until around 4pm tomorrow. Should I just get it into the fridge once it's done resting and then reheat on the smoker tomorrow or throw it in the electric reheat thing tomorrow (in previous years we threw the store bought pre-done ham in there with some water in the bottom to heat it up)

I appreciate any advice
Hi there and welcome!

Wow that is a large ham.
I think you might just have to tightly wrap in foil where it doesn't leak and then refrigerate it.
Rewarming in the oven sounds right BUT I have no idea how long it takes to rewarm a whole 22lb ham leg.

Your other option is to wrap it tightly in foil (so it doeasn't leak) and then leave it in the oven with the oven set to like 155-160F and just hold it until time to eat tomorrow.

Final option. Refrigerate and then tomorrow while its cold, you cut off what you plan to serve (if it's not the whole thing at once) and then heat that up in the oven which will be much faster. You could continue doing this as needed. My mother does this with her oven and chaffing dishes for our big family events and it works well. Just takes some doing to make it happen.

I hope some of this info helps and maybe someone will have a surefire option for you besides my 3 potential options :D

I've got it wrapped up pretty tight with multiple layers of foil and it's in the fridge now on a rack in a cookie sheet. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll consider slicing off a section and warming just that up since it'll be easier. Given that the oven is going to be rather occupied I'll have the option of using the electric roasting pan (apparently that's what the thing we use to heat the hams in the past years is) or I can lovingly place it back on the smoker. If I were to use the smoker like an oven would you recommend keeping it wrapped up and just dropping the temp probe thru the foil?

I've got it wrapped up pretty tight with multiple layers of foil and it's in the fridge now on a rack in a cookie sheet. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll consider slicing off a section and warming just that up since it'll be easier. Given that the oven is going to be rather occupied I'll have the option of using the electric roasting pan (apparently that's what the thing we use to heat the hams in the past years is) or I can lovingly place it back on the smoker. If I were to use the smoker like an oven would you recommend keeping it wrapped up and just dropping the temp probe thru the foil?

I hope it all turned out ok, I was doing thanksgiving and am just now seeing this.

I would have dropped the probe through the vent and put it in the ham and then wrapped the foil around it as best possible.

My guess is you just went with the most feasible option and it turned out well. Let us know though :D

I hope it all turned out ok, I was doing thanksgiving and am just now seeing this.

I would have dropped the probe through the vent and put it in the ham and then wrapped the foil around it as best possible.

My guess is you just went with the most feasible option and it turned out well. Let us know though :D
I kept it wrapped up and put it in the roasting pan on a rack with a bit of water in the bottom. Took about 3 hrs with the first half at 300, the next hour at 250 and the last 3 i unwrapped and threw on a bit of a glaze. I unwrapped a couple layers and probed thru the first layer of foil at hours 1 and 2 and rewrapped as I could. It wasn't as tender as I would have liked given that I had to reheat it but it was enjoyed by the crowd so it turned out ok in the end.

I hope your holiday went well, thanks for checking in

I kept it wrapped up and put it in the roasting pan on a rack with a bit of water in the bottom. Took about 3 hrs with the first half at 300, the next hour at 250 and the last 3 i unwrapped and threw on a bit of a glaze. I unwrapped a couple layers and probed thru the first layer of foil at hours 1 and 2 and rewrapped as I could. It wasn't as tender as I would have liked given that I had to reheat it but it was enjoyed by the crowd so it turned out ok in the end.

I hope your holiday went well, thanks for checking in
Glad to hear it was a success!
It's hard to nail something the 1st few times you attempt it, so the fact that it came out enjoyable and successful is a major win.

All of these things you did will give you plenty of ideas on what to change, improve upon, and try differently next time. It's all part of the craft my friend.

My holiday went well, thanks for asking! May you have a good holiday break and enjoy reheated ham. I think tomorrow I put mine on the slider and see what I can do with it. It has a MASSIVE shoulder bone in it so not sure how many nice whole slices I may get (maybe 1/4 of the whole thing) but nothing wrong with smaller slices where the bone split the roast :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky