Smoking a Pork Shoulder Saturday to pull on Sunday?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jc03

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Hi everyone. I'd like to do a pork shoulder for our Memorial Day cookout on Sunday afternoon. I'll be doing wings leading up to the cookout on Sunday though so the MES 30 will be full. Is it possible for me to smoke the shoulder on Saturday and somehow finish/reheat it and pull it late afternoon Sunday? Any advice on this or seasoning/smoking instructions would be apprecaited. Thanks in advance.

I'm in the same boat. I will be smoking the Butt on saturday to completion, pull it, save any pan juices and cool it off then bag it. The meat then goes into the refer until Sunday. Then 1-2 hours before supper on sunday the PP and a new finishing sauce I want to try will go in a Crock pot with any defatted pan juices and will be set on High until it hits 165*F then down to warm and served.

It is always safer to cook all the way and pull it before chilling. Having to Cool then Reheat a big hunk of meat can be risky, it takes too long...JJ

Duders , be cool, you can , cook , chill and boil them back to goodness , I then generally put them in a Slowcooker then to serve .

Remember , try not to look , and Jc03 ; give yourself plenty of time... Butts take a while (be patient) , let the heat do it's thing , judge cooking time at 1.5 to 2 hrs. per pound so you don't have any snaffus , then just watch the temp.

Butts are easy and forgiving, (JJ , you know this ) Jc03 , watch the temp. and add as much smoke as you feel right. Left to do what they will , you can do Butts like this :

92f64497_Betty004.jpg

Ya'll have fun and remember the Q-view...

Thanks guys! What do you think about smoking it for 4 hours on Saturday, refrigerating it, then finishing it on Sunday? Busy weekend with holiday parties. Thanks.

Thanks guys! What do you think about smoking it for 4 hours on Saturday, refrigerating it, then finishing it on Sunday? Busy weekend with holiday parties. Thanks.
You can do this if necessary just DON'T INJECT anything!. If you are really in a time pinch, Smoke the 4+ Hours then on Sunday pan it with a Cup of Apple Cider and cover tightly with foil. Go into a 325-350*F Oven and let it Braise. It will be Fall apart tender in a few hours, depending on size, take it to an IT of 205 with an hour or so rest. Your Pork will have plenty of smoke flavor without more time babysitting the Smoker...JJ

honestly i tried smoking a pork butt half way one night then refrigerating it until the next day to finish it. It was not worth it in my opinion because it took too long for it to get back up to the temp I smoked it to the day before and then to get it up to 200 after that. Not to mention it dried it out really bad because i essentially cooked it almost twice. Just my .02

honestly i tried smoking a pork butt half way one night then refrigerating it until the next day to finish it. It was not worth it in my opinion because it took too long for it to get back up to the temp I smoked it to the day before and then to get it up to 200 after that. Not to mention it dried it out really bad because i essentially cooked it almost twice. Just my .02

X2.

Just cook it fully the day before and reheat it on the day you want. Or you could just pull an all nighter like some of these guys do. But for me I like to sleep so I just reheat them.

I'm in the same boat. I will be smoking the Butt on saturday to completion, pull it, save any pan juices and cool it off then bag it. The meat then goes into the refer until Sunday. Then 1-2 hours before supper on sunday the PP and a new finishing sauce I want to try will go in a Crock pot with any defatted pan juices and will be set on High until it hits 165*F then down to warm and served.

It is always safer to cook all the way and pull it before chilling. Having to Cool then Reheat a big hunk of meat can be risky, it takes too long...JJ
This is the way I have done it many a time - I don't use the crock pot - I vac seal with the juices and reheat in the bags in hot (not boiling) water for a good hour and it comes out great 

You can do this if necessary just DON'T INJECT anything!. If you are really in a time pinch, Smoke the 4+ Hours then on Sunday pan it with a Cup of Apple Cider and cover tightly with foil. Go into a 325-350*F Oven and let it Braise. It will be Fall apart tender in a few hours, depending on size, take it to an IT of 205 with an hour or so rest. Your Pork will have plenty of smoke flavor without more time babysitting the Smoker...JJ
THIS!  

Thanks JJ!  This is almost exactly what I'm planning to do today and tomorrow.  My little STS (Stove Top Smoker) will only give me 4-5 hours of smoke at ~212* so I plan to smoke a 4-5# butt today and then finish to PP perfection in the oven tomorrow to feed a 2 man crew who will be installing new windows in my balcony.

Thanks too, for the oven temp suggestion.  I have yet to find a meat thermometer of any kind here though so I'll just give it 4 hrs (covered) in the oven and rest it for another hour then hopefully pull it.

I'll be sure to let ya'll know how it turns out.

Hey Yankee... ласкаво просимо ...JJ

I realize this is an old thread but thanks!!  I have been trying to figure out how I am going to get a 10+ hour smoke on 2 butts with not enough time the day of.  Any particular reason why not inject?  I had intended on injecting some Italian salad dressing.  Why not?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky