Smokin Tex Feedback needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
YEP!
If you were closer, I would offer to buy if you don't like it!
I'm picking it up Wednesday. Once I verify it's working properly going to order the cold smoking plate and jerky fan off BBQGuys. I've been holding a $200 gift card for that place for months. Once I see how the temp holds may also add a plug and play Auber PID if needed. Should be my lifetime low temp smoker then.

Last edited:
The ST smokers are analog. You can expect to see temps fluctuate 15/20 degrees high and low of your set temp due to power being sent and stopped to the element. This is perfectly normal. It will over shoot and stop heating and then at a low temp point start heating again. Sometimes more over and under, sometimes less over and under. Nature of the beast. All is averaged out. Here is a link to instructions although I do not know which model you have purchased. They are very simple, like the SI analogs. Just try not to overthink the smoke.

Reactions: chopsaw and jcam222
Drove the 3 hour round trip and grabbed it today. Seems to be in exceptionally good shape. I did notice the door requires you to push it in firmly to get the latch in place. Perhaps it's by design to insure tight seal. It has the premium cover and have never been outside. He also threw in a nice Charcoal tote full of various wood chunks. Ill do some temp testing on it on th next week or so. I did use my $200 gift card to BBQGUYS to order the cold smoke plate and jerky fan.
PXL_20231101_182917354.jpg
PXL_20231101_183023252.jpg
PXL_20231101_183038273.jpg

zwiller zwiller you were right I had a lot of updating to do in my signature!! The new list of current smokers / grills Large 270 Smokers Cabinet
Lang 84D with charcoal grill
Vision Diamond Kamado
Smokin Tex 1400
Blackstone 32 Inch griddle. Weber 26" Kettle

Reactions: zwiller
Jeff , you scored ! You know what they say , Good things happen to good people .
Now I want one .
I'll be sure to post my temp monitoring with Fireboard when I find some time to do it. I think for jerky and bacons it will be fine. When are finally getting into sausage I'm guessing I'll buy an Auber plug and play PID. I saw some other really cool uses of those turning roaster pans into sous vide ovens.

Reactions: Lonzinomaker
My 1400 required some effort to get the latch to close, nothing excessive though. You can bend the latch arm to make it easier but it should still take some effort to make it close.

Reactions: jcam222
The door is a compression fit. No gasket. Some smoke may leak around towards top. This is normal.

Congrats. Sooner or later you are going to want to tinker with it. Check out this link and enjoy!

Update on the Smokin Tex. My initial trials running temps of 100 and 150 show expected temp swings but generate very little smoke. I've got more experiencing to do for lower temp and intend to add a plug and play Auber PID. My most recent test was 15 lbs of chuck roast. I ordinarily would use the Lang but wanted to see what kind of results I'd get from the Tex. I ran a maxed set temp of 250. My Fireboard showed the actual temp achieved was 230F. I added a small maybe 4oz chunk of cherry wood in the smoker box. I was amazed to see that small amount wood generated smoke for over 6 hours! I wrapped at 6 hours and finished inside in the oven. I was blown away by the excellent prominent smoke flavor on the beef. Very pleased with the result on the higher temp smoking.

That's awesome . Nice work on learning that smoker .
Very pleased with the result on the higher temp smoking.
I don't use my MES for stuff like this very much , but if I do I run at 250 ish and use wood chunks .
Big difference over low temps and pellets . I've found that anymore than 2 small chunks won't burn right . That might be why the style you have weighs the wood .
20201017_114556.jpg
You can see how clean it burns . Like a good cigar . Lol .
20201017_133659.jpg

Update on the Smokin Tex. My initial trials running temps of 100 and 150 show expected temp swings but generate very little smoke. I've got more experiencing to do for lower temp and intend to add a plug and play Auber PID. My most recent test was 15 lbs of chuck roast. I ordinarily would use the Lang but wanted to see what kind of results I'd get from the Tex. I ran a maxed set temp of 250. My Fireboard showed the actual temp achieved was 230F. I added a small maybe 4oz chunk of cherry wood in the smoker box. I was amazed to see that small amount wood generated smoke for over 6 hours! I wrapped at 6 hours and finished inside in the oven. I was blown away by the excellent prominent smoke flavor on the beef. Very pleased with the result on the higher temp smoking.
jcam, how do you like your little smoker after you have had it for a bit now? Did you get the PID to run it?

I ask because I am considering a similar build but was going to do some radical heating approaches.....

Sounds like a rousing tasty success jcam! Smoke on! SmokinTex claims they will bring back their forum that ran for many years but I have seen nothing for over 2 years.

jcam, how do you like your little smoker after you have had it for a bit now? Did you get the PID to run it?

I ask because I am considering a similar build but was going to do some radical heating approaches.....
I like it for higher temp but not convinced it will ever produce smoke at the lower ranges. I'll probably still buy a PID to find out. It does give nice smoke flavor on the 225 setting with only a small wood chunk that lasts hours.

Reactions: zwiller
I like it for higher temp but not convinced it will ever produce smoke at the lower ranges. I'll probably still buy a PID to find out. It does give nice smoke flavor on the 225 setting with only a small wood chunk that lasts hours.
Ah ok, i was leaning toward an integrated mail box for tubes and trays…. Was also considering an isolated wood element outside the CC ie like a mail box as well. I wanted low temp smoke and high temp smoke uniform throughout.

So hearing this I believe it on the right track to have the smoke generation separate from the cc area

Reactions: zwiller and jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky