SMOKIN-IT SMOKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You've discovered the "Less is More" rule of cooking. I don't measure anything for my #2, but one or two small chunks (small defined that it easily fits in the palm of your hand) is all you need. Meat, chicken and fish absorb the most smoke when they're uncooked, i.e., cool. Once their internal temperature starts to go up, they absorb less and less smoke. When cooking ribs, if the wood chunks burn out in a few hours, you'll get just the right flavor. Since this is a matter of taste, you'll need to experiment to find what you perceive to be "perfect", but as you noted, too much smoke imparts a bitter taste into whatever it is you're cooking. Also, don't use fresh wood which doesn't create smoke easily and adds a slightly off taste.

My recipe for ribs in my #2 is simple. After preparing your ribs, put one or two small chunks (fits in the palm of your hand) of fruitwood in the smoke box. Put the ribs on a rack about 2/3rds of the way up. For St. Louis cut ribs, cook them for 5 to 5 1/2 hours at 230º. For baby backs, 4-4 1/2 hours. Use the bend test to check for doneness: pick them up with a set of tongs and they should easily bend and expose the meat. If they don't bend at all, put them back in for another 30 minutes.

I also want to reveal that I use an Auber PID controller to maintain a steady temperature. The Smokin-It's built-in thermostat swings 20-30º during a cook, which I found unacceptable. Using a PID resolves that problem.

One last hint. Soaking the wood in water prior to cooking is an old-wives tale. All that happens is you get steam. Use dry wood and you'll be surprised how it lasts and how much better your food will taste. Soaking wood in water is the same type of misinformation as putting oil in pasta water. (Use enough water to cook pasta and it won't stick together!)

Good luck with your new smoker and keep experimenting. You'll soon be the most popular guy in your neighborhood!

Last edited:
Boy Bocaboy you are right on, I just bought a Si #3 it's an all new learning curve almost every thing I have tried has had to much smoke. so back to the uds for the thanksgiving turkey this year. I did some fresh ocean caught Salmon first batch not so good, second batch much better I think as good as the uds.

Great Smoking to all from the Oregon Coast

M

No more resting in a cooler for me, I have an easier plan.

OK, made a mistake, no, several mistakes, three or four years ago when I was still using my charcoal smoker cooking a Pork Butt, cooking by time only.  I would foil after about 1/2 cook time and take it off and try to immediately pull it.  Most everything was hit and miss and tough.

One smoke, I foiled it, refilled with charcoal and set the alarm clock to take it off at 1 AM a couple hours later. Made the AM-PM mistake, no alarm. Woke up at 7AM in a panic. Fortunately it was winter and 20 degrees outside, fire had gone out most likely 3-4 hours longer than I had intended and Pork Butt had cooled down and was just starting to freeze. Pulled it, it was the best PB I had ever smoked, very tender.

I started lurking on this site and found out why. Number one reason, normally I was not cooking long enough, started cooking by temp, tremendous improvement. Number 2 started letting it rest in a cooler a couple hours before pulling. Another improvement.

I then bought a Smoken-it #2 and kept putting out great products. Then today, another good learning mistake, had a PB on and had to leave and was gone way longer than I expected. Wifey called and said "your temp alarm is going off at 195."  I am not finished what I am doing and I am an hour away from home. Started to have her pull it off and put in a cooler. Then it hit me. I told Wifey, "just unplug the smoker and I will take care of it when I get home."  3 hours later when I got home the IT was still 181 degrees.  Outside temp was in the 60's with a lot of wind.

Removed it from the smoker and it was ready to pull. No need to mess with moving it to a cooler, just leave it right on the smoker shelf. The insulation in the Smoken-it #2 cooker is not a lot different than a cooler if you think about it.

I will be doing this in the future and making my smokes even easier.

I would be very careful doing that.....while the temp in the center may remain safe....the temp near the outside of the butt may not!

Just sayin'....

~Martin

OK, made a mistake, no, several mistakes, three or four years ago when I was still using my charcoal smoker cooking a Pork Butt, cooking by time only.  I would foil after about 1/2 cook time and take it off and try to immediately pull it.  Most everything was hit and miss and tough.

One smoke, I foiled it, refilled with charcoal and set the alarm clock to take it off at 1 AM a couple hours later. Made the AM-PM mistake, no alarm. Woke up at 7AM in a panic. Fortunately it was winter and 20 degrees outside, fire had gone out most likely 3-4 hours longer than I had intended and Pork Butt had cooled down and was just starting to freeze. Pulled it, it was the best PB I had ever smoked, very tender.

I started lurking on this site and found out why. Number one reason, normally I was not cooking long enough, started cooking by temp, tremendous improvement. Number 2 started letting it rest in a cooler a couple hours before pulling. Another improvement.

I then bought a Smoken-it #2 and kept putting out great products. Then today, another good learning mistake, had a PB on and had to leave and was gone way longer than I expected. Wifey called and said "your temp alarm is going off at 195."  I am not finished what I am doing and I am an hour away from home. Started to have her pull it off and put in a cooler. Then it hit me. I told Wifey, "just unplug the smoker and I will take care of it when I get home."  3 hours later when I got home the IT was still 181 degrees.  Outside temp was in the 60's with a lot of wind.

Removed it from the smoker and it was ready to pull. No need to mess with moving it to a cooler, just leave it right on the smoker shelf. The insulation in the Smoken-it #2 cooker is not a lot different than a cooler if you think about it.

While the inside of the smoker doesn't cool that fast, it may cool to an unsafe temp in a 3 hour period.  An alternate method, that I use often, is to reduce the smoker temp to 140 to hold.  That way, the surface of the meat will never drop below the safe temp, and the internal will stay nice and hot.

While the inside of the smoker doesn't cool that fast, it may cool to an unsafe temp in a 3 hour period.  An alternate method, that I use often, is to reduce the smoker temp to 140 to hold.  That way, the surface of the meat will never drop below the safe temp, and the internal will stay nice and hot.
That is why I like this forum, toss out anything and you have a whole team looking it over and offering suggestions.  I will do the 140 safety temp in the future.  Thanks.

Hey folks back from military leave. Just wanted to say happy turkey day! Have a good one and happy smoking. -Jon D.

Heads up on smokin it smokers. The #3 is missing from amazon and from smokin-it.com. I am wondering if it were replaced by the #4 or is just out of stock. Personally I think they may be done making it.

I have a master-built electric and my wife and I both love it. Fantastic flavor, no fuss and no mess. Cleans right up.

The SI3 sold out a while back.  The new model 3 coming in will have handles to aid in moving it around.

Every affordable (for most of us) is made in China otherwise we couldn't afford it. I've got tons of kitchen gadgets like food processors and such and all are Chinese-made with one exception: we own a Vitamix blender which is made in Cleveland. The cheapest one is just under $400 at Costco but they're the best on the market and are workhorses that can last 20 or more years. It would probably cost at least half that if it were made in China.

The Smokin-It model 3 is certainly not done!  The rush of new purchases actually caught Steve off-guard, while re-tooling for the new model with handles.  It will be back soon, and isn't going anywhere!  No company would discontinue its most popular model!  Soon, my friends, soon!

So I am trying to decide between the #1 and #2. Getting the #2 would cost over around 120 more than the #1.

I have read the first 20 pages of the forum and gotten some great insight and plan to continue reading. However, it doesn't seem to have helped me decide on which one. I very strongly want to go with the #2 to air on the safe side in case I want to smoke a decent amount but at the same time being a college student I am trying not to spend more money than necessary. But I noticed they have that holiday special going on and I want to order the smoker before that goes away if possible.

On average I would probably cook for about 4 people. If I was having a get together with friends I would be cooking for 4-8. I suppose in some certain situations maybe even more than that such as big family get togethers. However, I am sure in the large group scenarios we would cook and eat more than just BBQ meat and have sides such as cornbread, baked beans, potato salad or whatever else.

Any advice?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky