SMOKIN-IT SMOKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Considering the amount of meat you want to smoke at one time I recommend the Model 4 from Smokin-it. Ther smoke exits from the top of the smoker through the roof vent. No stack. No damper. The SI smokers use chunks. The model 4 has an integrated PI D controller so it will hold the temp within a degree or two of what you set. I cannot comment on using the AMNPS it it. These smokers are very tight. Much more information is available on the SI site regarding the model 4. Also this model is being used in commercial establishments.

A much more expensive option are the commercial units from Cookshack.

Considering the amount of meat you want to smoke at one time I recommend the Model 4 from Smokin-it. Ther smoke exits from the top of the smoker through the roof vent. No stack. No damper. The SI smokers use chunks. The model 4 has an integrated PI D controller so it will hold the temp within a degree or two of what you set. I cannot comment on using the AMNPS it it. These smokers are very tight. Much more information is available on the SI site regarding the model 4. Also this model is being used in commercial establishments.

A much more expensive option are the commercial units from Cookshack.

Thanks for the reply. Much more expensive is not in the equation as of right now, but maybe in the future. The model 4 is pushing the financial bounds which is why I need to know I won't be disappointed before dropping $1700 on one. I really want to know everything will cook evenly. I messaged the owner, he responded promptly and I followed up, but haven't heard from him since. But, it was the weekend, so hopefully I'll hear from him tomorrow.

I'm afraid of chips and chunks. Maybe not chunks so much as I've never tried them, but when I attempted to season my MES, the chips caught on fire and flames were shooting out of the tray. The owner said pellets would work in the Smokin It, but they caught fire in my MES, too, so.....

Thanks again for the reply.

Smokin it 3 will serve you best. It swings between 25 degrees or so on the analog. Digital stays on temp well. Exhaust is a small hole on top. About the size of a silver dollar or so. Use chunks because the amazen pellets will not stay lit unless you drill extra holes on the bottom to allow air flow. No air = no flame (for pellets)

Smokin it 3 will serve you best. It swings between 25 degrees or so on the analog. Digital stays on temp well. Exhaust is a small hole on top. About the size of a silver dollar or so. Use chunks because the amazen pellets will not stay lit unless you drill extra holes on the bottom to allow air flow. No air = no flame (for pellets)

Thank you. I don't think the 3 is big enough for the amounts I want to be able to smoke at once, but I do like that it's $1000 less money. :)

I messaged the owner, he responded promptly and I followed up, but haven't heard from him since. But, it was the weekend, so hopefully I'll hear from him tomorrow.

Steve was away attending a national restaurant association trade show in Chicago 21 thru 24 May. But he does keep up and respond when time permits.  He will be back 25 May 2016.  

Steve was away attending a national restaurant association trade show in Chicago 21 thru 24 May. But he does keep up and respond when time permits.  He will be back 25 May 2016.  

Thank you. I made my way to the Smokin It forum and recognize your name. Same person?

If so, I'm betting you can answer a couple questions. In the website (smokinit) information on the 4D, one place says temps to 350 degrees and one says 375. Do you know which is accurate? On that forum, I think someone said the 3D will go up to 350 or 375, but the website says 250. Again, can you clarify? I also noticed there is a difference in the type of stainless steel in the descriptions of the 3D and 4D. Are they actually different in the two models.

And now for cooking. I saw a post with a 3D loaded with baby back ribs. It either had 6 or 8 racks on 3 or 4 shelves. Can't remember. The question is, would the bottom rack of ribs be overdone when the top rack is perfect or will they be consistent? Especially if there are some on the bottom closest to the heating element? Could I fit 8 pork butts (7 pound average) in the 3D?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
That's a good point. But there are some apparent (based on the Smokin It website) differences in build quality between the 3 and 4.
I read every single new post on the SI site and I have never seen anything that would elude to build quality differences between the 3 and the 4. The are built exactly the same way in the same factory except the #4 is larger. I have a #3 and couldn't be happier.

I read every single new post on the SI site and I have never seen anything that would elude to build quality differences between the 3 and the 4. The are built exactly the same way in the same factory except the #4 is larger. I have a #3 and couldn't be happier.

I was talking about the Smokin It website, not the forum. I read the forum until 2am this morning and made a couple comments and questions on really old threads. Not sure I will get an answer.

I should have clarified better what I meant by build quality. The 3 lists one kind of stainless steel and the 4 a different kind. Maybe there is no actual difference between the two, but I don't know.

Last edited:
You are correct that the steel is different between the model 3 & 4.  The 4 was designed specifically for commercial use and as such a higher grade of stainless was used.  This accounts for the extra cost, size and weight.  The build quality is exactly the same and truly you will not have an issue with either model.  I had one of the original Model #3's and just upgraded to a 3D.  My first Model 3 (5 years old) is still being enjoyed by a friend with no issues. 

You are correct that the steel is different between the model 3 & 4.  The 4 was designed specifically for commercial use and as such a higher grade of stainless was used.  This accounts for the extra cost, size and weight.  The build quality is exactly the same and truly you will not have an issue with either model.  I had one of the original Model #3's and just upgraded to a 3D.  My first Model 3 (5 years old) is still being enjoyed by a friend with no issues. 
SemperFi nailed it.

You will be hard-pressed to find a smoker anywhere close to this price range with the quality of steel used in the #3. These things are built like tanks and you will be impressed with the quality no matter whether you spring for the #4 or go with two #3s.

I want to pull the trigger on one of these #4's or possibly two 3's, but have not had anyone able to answer my questions about temps on different shelves and if I can truly set it and forget it and walk away after loading with two or more briskets, many racks of ribs, pork butts, etc.

How many butts can you put in a 3D without worrying about rotating racks halfway through the smoke and have them all come out done at the same time?  Same with ribs and briskets.  And I wonder the same question on the 4D.

Thank you for the reply.

SemperFi nailed it.

You will be hard-pressed to find a smoker anywhere close to this price range with the quality of steel used in the #3. These things are built like tanks and you will be impressed with the quality no matter whether you spring for the #4 or go with two #3s.
Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it.  Still just have a few questions I need answered before pulling the trigger in addition to the ones above.  Like if I can really use my AMNPS using pellets or using pulverized pellets from an old blender like I have done recently with my mailbox mod on my MES and it will stay lit.  After my experience trying to season my MES and the chips catching on fire and throwing flames out the sides of the chip tray, I am really leery of using chips or chunks and want to make sure I get that TBS that everyone knows is the best smoke. 

Thanks again.

I want to pull the trigger on one of these #4's or possibly two 3's, but have not had anyone able to answer my questions about temps on different shelves and if I can truly set it and forget it and walk away after loading with two or more briskets, many racks of ribs, pork butts, etc.

How many butts can you put in a 3D without worrying about rotating racks halfway through the smoke and have them all come out done at the same time?  Same with ribs and briskets.  And I wonder the same question on the 4D.
The answer here depends on how large the butts are. Assuming that the butts are all the same size, the butts on the lower rack will typically get done just a little bit earlier than the ones on the top rack. But, you will usually have a variety of sizes where you can put the larger ones on the bottom rack and then they should come out pretty darn close to each other. I buy my Boston Butts at Sam's Club and they come in cryovaced 2-Packs. There is almost always one that is close to a pound larger than the other. If I put the smaller one on top, I'm guessing that they would come out pretty darn close to one another based on my memory from the last time that I did this.

You can easily two 7-8 pounds butts on one rack. You "may" be able to do 3 per rack (personally I don't think I would do this), but that would be pretty close and they would smoke more like a single piece of meat verses two.

The last time that I smoked 4 butts, the bottom butts jumped out to a big head start and I started to freak out a bit. But, as they moved through the stall the upper two butts caught up to the lower ones and finished probably only 1-2 hours after the bottom ones. I had one of the top butts probed and also one of the bottom ones. I didn't bother rotating. I just took the lower ones out when they were done, double-foil wrapped and placed in my meat cooler with some towels on top for a rest.

For ribs, you should be able to fit three racks (bone-down) per rack and probably 3-4 racks without rotating. Admittedly I have only smoked 4 racks if ribs at one time though. So, I do not have the direct experience as I did on the pork butts. You may want to create a thread on the SI site with this question, as you have a much larger number of SI owners (especially #4 owners) over there that would be able to answer your question with better experience than me.

Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it.  Still just have a few questions I need answered before pulling the trigger in addition to the ones above.  Like if I can really use my AMNPS using pellets or using pulverized pellets from an old blender like I have done recently with my mailbox mod on my MES and it will stay lit.  After my experience trying to season my MES and the chips catching on fire and throwing flames out the sides of the chip tray, I am really leery of using chips or chunks and want to make sure I get that TBS that everyone knows is the best smoke. 

Thanks again.
I answered this question about using an AMNPS over on the SI site and gave you a link to a thread that I had started with my testing along with feedback from some other users.

If you use quality chunks/chips, you won't have any problems especially in an SI smoker. In fact, chunks are by far my preference. I only use my A-MAZE-N smokers when I cold-smoke. They just aren't necessary for hot/warm smokes. The reason is that the well insulated and oxygen deprived environment of the Smokin-It smokers prevent most flare-ups/combustion that happen in smokers that are not sealed as well. If you use wood from a big box store which is kiln dried, yeah you will probably have some combustion and white acrid smoke. But, if you get some good quality smoking wood chunks that have between 15%-25% moisture, you won't have a problem with using chunks in the SI smokers. Most of us on the SI site have started ordering out wood from www.smokinlicious.com. The wood is excellent and is very competitively priced with awesome customer service. Each box of wood is moisture tested and noted on a shipping label that is included in the order.

My suggestion would be to create a new thread over on the SI site with all of your questions and you will get some really good feedback. This forum is awesome, but if you are looking for specific feedback from actual SI owners, you'll probably get more responses over there by creating a new thread.

The answer here depends on how large the butts are. Assuming that the butts are all the same size, the butts on the lower rack will typically get done just a little bit earlier than the ones on the top rack. But, you will usually have a variety of sizes where you can put the larger ones on the bottom rack and then they should come out pretty darn close to each other. I buy my Boston Butts at Sam's Club and they come in cryovaced 2-Packs. There is almost always one that is close to a pound larger than the other. If I put the smaller one on top, I'm guessing that they would come out pretty darn close to one another based on my memory from the last time that I did this.

I get my pork butts at Sam's. Bought a case to smoke for a surprise birthday party for my wife there three years ago.  Don't like the boneless ones at Costco.  Speaking of which, someone on this forum or the SI forum said that Costco removes the "skin" off the back of their baby backs.  I stopped at mine today to pick up some photos and the meat man said that is NOT true.  Just an FYI if you care.

My wife and I are doing some catering and our reputation is getting out there for producing really good smoked meats and sides.  So much that we are contemplating a restaurant, kiosk, going to Farmers Markets, etc etc and see if we can make a go of it.  My fear is we will lose something going from smoking two butts to 6 or 8.  Or from one brisket to 3 or 4.  3 racks of baby backs to 10 or so, you know?  I guess that's here nor there, I just hope, if I spend this much money on a smoker, that I will not regret it, even if we just use it for ourselves and never sell another thing.

You can easily two 7-8 pounds butts on one rack. You "may" be able to do 3 per rack (personally I don't think I would do this), but that would be pretty close and they would smoke more like a single piece of meat verses two.

The 3D and 4D each have racks that are about 18" by 22", right?  Nope, that's not right.  Figured I would look it up.  The 3D racks are 14 1/2" x 21 1/2" and the 4D are 18 1/2" x 21 1/2".  I believe you are correct that you "might" be able to get 3 butts on a 3D rack, but it would be tight.  A better chance with the 4D.

The last time that I smoked 4 butts, the bottom butts jumped out to a big head start and I started to freak out a bit. But, as they moved through the stall the upper two butts caught up to the lower ones and finished probably only 1-2 hours after the bottom ones. I had one of the top butts probed and also one of the bottom ones. I didn't bother rotating. I just took the lower ones out when they were done, double-foil wrapped and placed in my meat cooler with some towels on top for a rest.

Did you drop your probe through the vent or run it out of the door?

For ribs, you should be able to fit three racks (bone-down) per rack and probably 3-4 racks without rotating. Admittedly I have only smoked 4 racks if ribs at one time though. So, I do not have the direct experience as I did on the pork butts. You may want to create a thread on the SI site with this question, as you have a much larger number of SI owners (especially #4 owners) over there that would be able to answer your question with better experience than me.

Thanks, I may give that a shot.

I answered this question about using an AMNPS over on the SI site and gave you a link to a thread that I had started with my testing along with feedback from some other users.

Sorry I missed that.  Will go look, thank you.

If you use quality chunks/chips, you won't have any problems especially in an SI smoker. In fact, chunks are by far my preference. I only use my A-MAZE-N smokers when I cold-smoke. They just aren't necessary for hot/warm smokes. The reason is that the well insulated and oxygen deprived environment of the Smokin-It smokers prevent most flare-ups/combustion that happen in smokers that are not sealed as well. If you use wood from a big box store which is kiln dried, yeah you will probably have some combustion and white acrid smoke. But, if you get some good quality smoking wood chunks that have between 15%-25% moisture, you won't have a problem with using chunks in the SI smokers. Most of us on the SI site have started ordering out wood from www.smokinlicious.com. The wood is excellent and is very competitively priced with awesome customer service. Each box of wood is moisture tested and noted on a shipping label that is included in the order.

I hate to ask a newbie question, but how long will these chunks you are recommending remain optimal for smoking purposes without catching on fire, etc?  And is there a way to store them so they don't lose their moisture?  Like vacuum sealing or in a Home Depot type bucket?

My suggestion would be to create a new thread over on the SI site with all of your questions and you will get some really good feedback. This forum is awesome, but if you are looking for specific feedback from actual SI owners, you'll probably get more responses over there by creating a new thread.

THANK YOU so much for taking so much time to answer my questions and try to help.  I sincerely appreciate it.  My name is Scott, by the way.  From Southern California. :)

Scott,

I am the same old sarge.

On the temperature question, 250 is the analog.  The higher temps are for the P I D versions marked D. As for the high temps,  I would defer to Steve.  I go with what the description states, and quite frankly I will not go to 300 as I believe in low and slow:  300 degrees for me is too high for a slow smoke and not high enough to produce a roasted chicken with crispy skin. I think Gregg answered the rest of your questions.  

Please keep in mind that there are not nearly as many Model 4 owners as there are of other models be it here on this site or the SI Site.  Try using the search feature  above and at SI for further information. You may even have to send a PM to a model 4 user for some answers if they are not socially active on these sites.

Here is an explanation of the differences in stainless steel.    http://isostainless.com/stainless-s...ifference-between-201-and-304-stainless-steel

Hope this helps.

Dave

Last edited:
Brilliant and thrifty!   I like it
sausage.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky