Smoker that needs tending only every 8-10 hours?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I went by the title. But for what it is worth they do make Charcoal Pellets & Wood Pellets
He could have the best of both worlds LOL
Richie
Well you've got me curious. I have grilled steaks, hamburgers, chicken, seafood, veggies all my life and was adamantly against gas grills, insisting on charcoal to get the flavor. So that prejudice kind of extended over into my thinking about a smoker. But, can a pellet smoker really give you the great taste of mesquite lump charcoal used in my grills? You guys have got me to do research on this and that certainly does sound like a solution that meets my needs, if it can really get the flavor for brisket. I'm only buying this for brisket cuz I am nuts about brisket and there's no good brisket around here. I will continue to use my Lodge sportsman's grill for cooking all that other stuff, it's fantastic but I can't cook brisket. So I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about how you can get real woodsmoke flavor in a pellet smoker. I buy mesquite lump charcoal to grill with and throw some hickory or mesquite chips in there too. But maybe you guys can teach this old dog some new tricks. I just turned 65 today. Pops idea about using the stimulus check for that sounds pretty enticing. You guys already talked me out of a offset smoker, it was fork-tender that made that post and that nailed the coffin for the offset for me, thank you. My pal in California uses an electric that he actually sits in his kitchen and he's always sending me pictures of smoked this and smoked that. He's a big hunter and fisherman so it's often stuff he's caught out of the ocean or got hunting. Electric just never seemed right for the same reasons I never like the idea of a gas barbecue grill. But I'm ready to get edumcated. Thank you much for your help so far everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Will Squared
I am unable to tend fires @ disabilities and am going with a Camp Chef Dlx Pro Pellet grill/smoker for "set it and forget it" technology! As soon as my stimulus pay arrives!
Thank you pops, that looks like a mighty fine choice for a pellet smoker. The doors that let you dump out the ashes seem like a lifesaver. You started me thinking about pellet smokers.

Last edited:
From your other thread I didn't think might be interested in a pellet to start with.

I'm looking for a pellet rig currently.

I can't afford MAK's and Yoders and the like.

I am suspect of some of the ones from big box stores. I know how they get special cheaper versions of merchandise that is only available thru them and is downgraded from near identical looking products available from other sources.

For one reason or another I've narrowed it down to looking at the Camp Chef's, RecTec's, and Grillas.

Well you've got me curious. I have grilled steaks, hamburgers, chicken, seafood, veggies all my life and was adamantly against gas grills, insisting on charcoal to get the flavor. So that prejudice kind of extended over into my thinking about a smoker. But, can a pellet smoker really give you the great taste of mesquite lump charcoal used in my grills? You guys have got me to do research on this and that certainly does sound like a solution that meets my needs, if it can really get the flavor for brisket. I'm only buying this for brisket cuz I am nuts about brisket and there's no good brisket around here. I will continue to use my Lodge sportsman's grill for cooking all that other stuff, it's fantastic but I can't cook brisket. So I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about how you can get real woodsmoke flavor in a pellet smoker. I buy mesquite lump charcoal to grill with and throw some hickory or mesquite chips in there too. But maybe you guys can teach this old dog some new tricks. I just turned 65 today. Pops idea about using the stimulus check for that sounds pretty enticing. You guys already talked me out of a offset smoker, it was fork-tender that made that post and that nailed the coffin for the offset for me, thank you. My pal in California uses an electric that he actually sits in his kitchen and he's always sending me pictures of smoked this and smoked that. He's a big hunter and fisherman so it's often stuff he's caught out of the ocean or got hunting. Electric just never seemed right for the same reasons I never like the idea of a gas barbecue grill. But I'm ready to get edumcated. Thank you much for your help so far everyone.
Honestly I can not say about the mesquite lump charcoal,I never used it the PB I have has a low setting of 150°F If you start with that temp and keep it there for a while it will give a pretty heavy smoke flavor. Here is a post I did with ribs hope this helps.
Richie
I did a Ham in it on Thursday that will be cut later

I think the smoker that you are looking for is a Masterbuilt Gravity Feed.
You cannot beat it on the price or versatility.
A stack of fuel will last 6 hours or more.
Taste of Mesquite.
Ability to ramp up to 700' in minutes !
Less parts to breakdown.
The 560 that we have is perfect.
The 1060 looks like an excellent deal.
An investment.

I know a guy who has a WSM that he added a controller to and can go a long time without tending. Strictly charcoal.
I don't know about 8 hrs, though, and I certainly wouldn't leave something burning at home while I'm gone.
Hi Smokey mouse. Well, in fact I did decide to go this route and I picked up a WSM yesterday at Lowe's. I appreciate the help on this and look forward to brisket. Thank you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky