Smoker that needs tending only every 8-10 hours?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

river251

Original poster
Apr 10, 2020
I want to start smoking briskett. I need to be able to let it cook overnight while I sleep, or while I am at work.

Considering Kamodo/Green Egg, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Kettle, Oklahoma Joe's Offset Highland, and anyting else that uses wood/charcoal.

Will any of these go 8 hours without tending the fire, checking temp, adding coal/wood ??

Thanks very much!

Jim

Not sure about the names you listed. But any electric smoker would do the trick. I have a mes 30 and do all my pork shoulders overnight. Easy and no tending needed. Same with a Traeger.

Reactions: negolien
Thanks Brian, but hoping I can find a charcoal/wood solution before going that direction.

Jim

Considering Kamodo/Green Egg, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Kettle, Oklahoma Joe's Offset Highland, and anyting else that uses wood/charcoal.

The WSM and the Egg(I believe) can, but it's foolish to leave them unintended for that lenght of time - especially while your at work. Overnight while your sleeping is fine as long as you have a therm that will wake you up if something goes astray. Just my opinion.

Chris

He stated he wanted charcoal or wood , love my Pitboss but that don't fit the description lol

For long, unattended smokes, read what ECTO1 says in this thread....
He had 30 hours of uninterrupted smoke......

You might want to spend a little time researching pellet smokers. They can easily do what you are wanting.

He had 30 hours of uninterrupted smoke......
I've got 30 hrs out of mine as well. Basket will hold a full 20lb bag . The UDS is no joke joke when it comes to long consistent burn times. Only thing I would recomend is a way to track temps with an alarm. If the wind picks up you could have a pretty high temp spike.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Not sure on your budget but most well insulated charcoal cabinets easily do this. The inch thick insulation many are built with keep them rock steady in most temps. Once I get my dialed in it will easily hold temp overnight without issues. Mine is admittedly in the high end (bought used) but an entry level Backwoods will likely do the trick too. As someone else said a WSM with a temp controller unit is a great option as well. I am guessing you’ve done enough research to know pellet is simply not what you are looking for. I have a small pellet Traegar but like you I strongly prefer my charcoal for smokes. That said plenty of people turn out A+ Q with them although it usually involves the use of a pellet tube or maze too.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I know a guy who has a WSM that he added a controller to and can go a long time without tending. Strictly charcoal.
I don't know about 8 hrs, though, and I certainly wouldn't leave something burning at home while I'm gone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky