Smoked Turkey Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokindrew

Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Buchanan, GA
So, last year I smoked a 22# bird and it was perfect. My memory told me I smoked it most of the night. Well, this year I’m at it again with a 21# bird. Smoker held nicely at 225F from time bird was put on. Indirect heat with juice bowl below grate and tray under bird to collect drippings, etc.. probe 1 in the breast, probe 2 in the thigh and probe 3 keeping track of ambient smoker temp. For some reason I made a mental call of 30-40 mins per pound pushing me to about 10-12 hrs. Well holding ambient solidly at 225 and opening smoker to spray bird ever hour the breast and thought seemed to have hit marks of 165 and 180 perfectly in sync but in only 6.5 hrs.

So, I have a dilemma. Dinner isn’t until 3pm (16 hrs from now). What is the best method to store bird and reheat and not lose too much of the flavor and juiciness?

own a large Nesco roasting oven? I'd be tempted to hold the bird at 165 in that until dinner. I've done it for a few hours in the past with no bad results.

So, last year I smoked a 22# bird and it was perfect. My memory told me I smoked it most of the night. Well, this year I’m at it again with a 21# bird. Smoker held nicely at 225F from time bird was put on. Indirect heat with juice bowl below grate and tray under bird to collect drippings, etc.. probe 1 in the breast, probe 2 in the thigh and probe 3 keeping track of ambient smoker temp. For some reason I made a mental call of 30-40 mins per pound pushing me to about 10-12 hrs. Well holding ambient solidly at 225 and opening smoker to spray bird ever hour the breast and thought seemed to have hit marks of 165 and 180 perfectly in sync but in only 6.5 hrs.

So, I have a dilemma. Dinner isn’t until 3pm (16 hrs from now). What is the best method to store bird and reheat and not lose too much of the flavor and juiciness?
I cooked mine ahead for tomorrow. I carved it all an poured the drippings on it. Will warm in a roaster pan tomorrow with some broth as needed.

Thank you guys. We did go ahead and carve it and sealed up the meat, tossed the skin. Stole a few bites while carving. Turned out amazing. Will reheat a little in pan with juices before we eat tomorrow.

Take care and happy thanksgiving to you all!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky