Smoked Tri Tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom in nc

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Mebane, NC
So my brother in law has an annual chili cook off contest with the family & neighbors. Two years ago I won on a whim with a regular chili but it was crazy hot with habaneros. Last year I won with a smoked pulled pork chili with chipotle peppers. This year I wanted to try something different using smoked trip tip. Over the summer I smoked a tri tip following Jeff's recipe from his newsletter & it was fantastic. That's when I hatched the plan to make a chili with it and win the chili chowdown for my third straight year. So if anyone has some good chili recipes, let me know. I have 2, 3 LB smoked tri tips to test out on chili recipes.
The tri tips I smoked today were sitting in the fridge overnight in Ziplock bags, each with 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce & 6 TBS of Jeff's rub. I smoked them on my WSM with 3 chunks of hickory & 3 chunks of cherry until they hit 145*F. I pulled them, wrapped them in foil and threw them in a cooler with some towels for a couple of hours.

On to the Q-view...

Trimmed off the fat cap...

Each on in their own ziplock bag with Worcestershire sauce & Jeff's rub...

Smoked on my WSM over with hickory & cherry chunks for flavor...

The thinner one (lower one in the picture above) hit temp first...

A little while later the larger one was ready...

Thanks for looking and let me know if you have a killer chili recipe I can use with these babies!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky