Smoked some Spam

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

damascusmaker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2015
North East Tennessee
Don't know where to put this exactly. Just something I thought to try. I'll have it with some eggs tomorrow. Passed taste test.

Heavy coat of my rub. Smoked cold for about an hour then turned the MES up to about 200 for another hour & 1/2.

Next time I think it'll be naked and all cold. How long would you guess to cold smoke Spam?

Well, since there isn't a "Mystery Meat" section, this'll do I guess!

Interesting idea with the Spam. Personally, I like the stuff! Yeah, I'm weird like that. Smoked sounds very good with some eggs, or even on a sammich.

For the cold smoke, if you do slices like you have in the pic, I'd do the first batch for no more than 1.5 hours and then let it rest overnight, and sample.

OMG, you guys are crazy!     Guess I better give it a try.   Dave did you cold smoke yours?

I eat a piece last night after it cooled with cheese and Ritz. It had converted into some kind of almost jerky type of thing, nice tender texture. As I suspected the heavy coat of rub was a little overpowering on that small a piece of meat. Next time will definitely be plain or just lightly seasoned. What could we marinate it in?

A Chinese sweet and sour something...
We keep "Panda Express Orange Sauce" in inventory (good stuff). I think I know what to use next time as a Spam marinade. 
33.gif

I am a Spicy Brown Mustard (Gulden's), Brown Sugar and a pinch of Allspice kind of Spamaholic. The family has a 1-2 can a week habit. Kids fav lunch as toddlers was Fried Spam and Kraft Mac & Cheese...JJ

Last edited:
Tomorrow, I am going to hot smoke a small qty of sliced spam along with some bacon.

Good Luck with it, I pulled the cold spam after 3 hours because I don't know how long it would be safe around 80*. It sure smelled good with the orange sauce and smoke. In the fridge now waiting for a sandwich tomorrow, or maybe a test piece on a cracker tonight later. Searching the net for Spam at room temperature, it seems there has been a whole legal thing in Hawaii about vendors leaving something like spam sushi on the counter over 4 hours.

1st test on the pellet tray worked out great.

The USDA puts a handling/holding time on foods, 4 hours, that is generally safe over a broad range of conditions. But that depends a lot on the food and preparation conditions. Spam or any cooked protein, handled in a sanitary fashion, clean hands, board, knives, wrapped well and so on can go longer than four hours with little risk. How many people have gone to a Super Bowl party and the Six Foot Sub Sandwich sat on the table 8 to 10 hours and nobody ends up sick. Now, a don't give a damn, dirty food service worker assembling on a cross contaminated work station and that Spam or Sub could make you very sick after 1 hour at room temps!

Spam for MUSUBI, Hawaiian Spam Sushi, is cooked, usually grilled and sauced with a Teriyaki Glaze and caramelized. It is then rolled in Rice. The Spam is not usually the issue, cooked to sterilize, lower in available moisture and salty, but the Rice is. Rice can easily be infected with Bacillus Cereus Spores. These survive cooking temps and can activate if left at room temp for more than 4 hours.

Your choice to cool smoke a cured and cooked, salty, meat like Spam for just three hours represents little risk to a healthy individual. Use good judgement though, Hot Smoke, 180°F+ if young Children or Elderly folks are going to eat it...JJ

Last edited:
I'd have to agree with everything Chef JJ said except his description of Musabi. This is musabi

Typically made in a mold or press. The spam can with the top and bottom removed can be used as a mold. Traditionally just spam, rice, furikaki seasoning and the nori wrap. Breakfast Musabi has scrambled egg added. If you go to McDonalds (which I don't know why anyone would) while in the islands their breakfast musabi has their hashbrowns on the top and bottom.

I like fried spam and eggs but my favorite breakfast is Loco Moco! Wish I was back in the islands!

I'd have to agree with everything Chef JJ said except his description of Musabi. This is musabi

Typically made in a mold or press. The spam can with the top and bottom removed can be used as a mold. Traditionally just spam, rice, furikaki seasoning and the nori wrap. Breakfast Musabi has scrambled egg added. If you go to McDonalds (which I don't know why anyone would) while in the islands their breakfast musabi has their hashbrowns on the top and bottom.

I like fried spam and eggs but my favorite breakfast is Loco Moco! Wish I was back in the islands!
I did a search of Musabi.... I confirmed Musubi is the correct spelling, thought I was losing it.
biggrin.gif
I messed up, " Rolled " in Rice was the wrong choice of words...Left brain thinking Sushi and Right brain thinking Musubi rolled in Nori...Oooppps...
icon_redface.gif

This version with Kimchi sounds good...JJ
icon14.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky