Smoked Prime Rib vs Brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Choice "prime rib" for $4 something a pound. In the cart it'd go!!

Will need to ask the butcher about the brisket. Usually don't talk to the folks behind the glass, may need to change that next time I'm in there.

Our Costco in Lantana FL sells the full packer brisket. I'm going to find out about the prime rib for $4.19 LB. That's a great price. Much better the the $10.00 a pound fro rib eyes in this area.

Please note the $4.19/lb was for choice brisket flat. I got the prime rib, non prime grade, on sale at a local butcher.

ok sorry to 
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif
 but here are pics of the prime rib (rib eye roast - not prime, choice) I did on Monday. Left this one on and near the FB on the Lang 60 and didnt pull til 140. It was soooo good.

When you cook the rib roasts low and slow, you get the same doneness throughout the roast with uniform color.  You also wont get the large temp increases while resting after taking it off the grill or out of the oven.  It may go up a few degress but that is about it.  When you cook fast and hot, it is hard to get the uniform doneness and the temperture increase while resting can vary from probably 5 up to 25 degrees depending on how hot it is cooked and the cut of meat.  Low and slow is the way for me when cooking them.  I cook at 225 to an IT of 130 and let rest for half an hour.

I'd vote for Prime Rib anyway and have basically followed dls1's method of low and slow, pull a little early and wrap it for a hour or so, then into the oven as hot as you can get it for the crust. Comes out great! That's for the info on what you Costco butcher told you, I'll try here in Virginia.

With a standing rib roast (bone in or not) the cooking method is a matter of preference. The internal temp. is what matters. You would not smoke a rib roast to 190 internal like a brisket for reasons already stated.

I "roast" my prime ribs at 225 until 118 internal and let rest lightly tented with foil for an hour, if we manage to wait that long.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/g/a/44126/default/

As an update, my local Costco (Pittsburgh), now has both trimmed and packaged briskets for $5.69/lb and untrimmed in still in the cryovac for $3.99/lb.  Maybe my asking for untrimmed prompted them to put them out for sale that way.    There was very little fat on the untrimmed one, can't imagine why anyone would spend the $5.69/lb on the trimmed one.

Good Grief, this thread is making me hungry!! 
drool.gif
  Now I know what I'm gonna smoke this weekend!  Gotta go find a prime rib.

crvtt, the trimmed brisket (neutered LOL) is for those folks who think they like beef, think they know how to cook beef, but recoil at the horror, the utter horror of FAT...OMG!!!

So they merrily pay the higher price and enjoy a truely dry, mealy piece of ruined brisket.
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

The only exception would be that they're going to make corned beef. Which I'm fixin' to do.

This is the reason I REFUSE to buy pastrami from the round, that's for wimps. I always buy "brisket-cut" pastrami with all the fat ....fat is where the flavor is.

Costco has really good beef if you don't mind industrial beef. I buy all my beef and most of our chicken there. 

I consider them "medium" to "high" choice and of course they carry USDA Prime.

Enough ranting....it's ham steak and scrambled eggs for dinner.

When you cook the rib roasts low and slow, you get the same doneness throughout the roast with uniform color.  You also wont get the large temp increases while resting after taking it off the grill or out of the oven.  It may go up a few degress but that is about it.  When you cook fast and hot, it is hard to get the uniform doneness and the temperture increase while resting can vary from probably 5 up to 25 degrees depending on how hot it is cooked and the cut of meat.  Low and slow is the way for me when cooking them.  I cook at 225 to an IT of 130 and let rest for half an hour.
The way I've seen my brother do it at his restaurant is he smokes the prime rib until just underdone . . . goal being to keep it pink on the inside.  Once cooled, he runs the prime through the slicer and into wrapped portions.  When a customer orders medium, medium rare, etc., he tosses the portion on the restaurants gas grill to finish the cooking.  It's a beautiful thing . . . prime rib over texas toast and a bit of horseradish sauce.

Not that you would, but please, for the love of all that is good and pure in this world, do not "barbecue" a rib roast. Low and slow was developed for tough, sinewy cuts of meat (like brisket) that require the long exposure to low heat in order to break down the connective tissue and make it edible. Prime rib (the marketing term, not the grade) would be tender and flavorful if eaten raw. A little seasoning and a hot and fast trip to medium rare followed by a rest are all it needs to be one of the most incredibly delicious things on earth. End of sermon. :)
I should have specified, I meant "low and slow and to a high internal temperature". I do mine hotter because I like the crust and I also like the contrast between the medium well outer muscle and the medium rare ribeye, but I can totally see the virtue of smoking at a lower temp to ensure an even temp throughout.

The point of my comment was just to quell any misconception that "225 for 12 hours is a must for BBQ so the meat's falling apart". This holds true for pulled pork, brisket and chuck roasts, but rib roast not so much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky