smoked potatoes worth it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I now put red taters in the smoker pretty much every time I smoke something.  Rub in evoo and salt n pepper and in they go.  Even if they're not on the menu, I just put them in the fridge.  Can warm up later for baked tater, or chop and  fry them up in a little butter.  Like the twice baked idea.  Will have to do that soon.

Why do I read this kind of stuff when I am hungry? I wish I had read this BEFORE I spent ten hours working the stick burner. I guess there is always next time!

Still learning

ok i know the rules that with no pic it didnt happen but our camera was lost .

we came across this thread and like the idea. but we were cooking chicken and to cook potatoes on the grill they wouldnt be done intime

so we got small red potatoes and boiled them for about half to 3/4 the time. then we started the chicken same with the corn.

but we shucked the corn down to one layer of husk  left on it. boiled it that way for a bit about half way.

now we put the chicken on the corn and the potatoes on started my heaving smoke in the beginning and cooked the chicken normal

when it was done we pulled it all off at the same time

results

chicken- always a show stopper

potatoes- interesting flavor

corn- omg this was outstanding the kids devoured it

but what was even better was the poatoes we smoked were even better cold.. oh yea baby smoked potatoe salad next time

now i want to try eggs.....anyone done eggs with out turning them to rubber balls

I now put red taters in the smoker pretty much every time I smoke something.  Rub in evoo and salt n pepper and in they go.  Even if they're not on the menu, I just put them in the fridge.  Can warm up later for baked tater, or chop and  fry them up in a little butter.  Like the twice baked idea.  Will have to do that soon.
OK, what is in the foil next to the ham?  Where do you get a ham that isn't smoked already?  And how do you smoke eggs? (Are they hard boiled and peeled first, temperature, time, etc?) And are they good? :)

"OK, what is in the foil next to the ham?"

2# bag of mixed nuts from Fleet Farm.  I melt some butter in a pan, add some rub seasoning and your favorite hot sauce.  Put the nuts in a qt zip lok and pour over the butter concoction and mix it all together.  Throw in smoker w/ whatever else you're cooking.  EXCELLENT!   I now use the top of a broiler pan, which has all the slits in it, just to let the smoker roll through the pan.  Not sure if it matters.

"Where do you get a ham that isn't smoked already?"

It's store bought already smoked, just givin it some extra happiness.  I score it and brush some juices on it throughout the smoking.

"And how do you smoke eggs? (Are they hard boiled and peeled first, temperature, time, etc?) And are they good? :) "

Eggs are raw going into smoker.  I read to soak them in a equal mixture of vinegar/water 5min before smoking to open the shell pores.  Really don't know if that does anything, but have always done that.  Damn good!  I really don't know how long it takes them to cook, but typically do 220 around 2.5-3hrs.

Last edited:
I know this is an old post, but I know folks go looking for info in old posts all the time.  

I smoke potatoes all the time as my wife has gotten hooked on my smoked potato salad.  I will smoke twice as many potatoes as we need just so I can make a batch using day old smoked potatoes.  Best potato salad you could ever have...

I've smoked potatoes a few times.   Love the taste.    First off a regular russet potato does not absorb the smoke well because the skin is so thick.   I use the yellor or gold potatos.

I wash them and prick the skin a few places with a fork and put them in smoker at around 220 degrees.   When they start to get soft on outside (about two hours or so) the skin is dried out at that point.  I then take them and  brush on butter liberally.  sprinkle with a good seasoning blend (tony's),  wrap tightly with foil and return to smoker or oven to finish them off.   Once in the foil,  if in the smoker, I crank temp all the way up.  If I finish them in the oven I turn heat to 350 degrees. The best tasting potato you will ever bite into.   

I used to work in a kitchen with a SMOK-A-ROMA ELECTRIC COMMERCIAL PRESSURE SMOKER OVEN COOKER. We would cut the potatoes in quarters and dry rub them. The pressure smoker would smoke with steam so the potatoes would be tender. After they cooled we would refrigerate them and then deep fry to order. They are awesome. I cannot reproduce this on my smoker.

You guys have inspired me.  I've done russet baked potatoes in my WSM many times (cleaned, EVOO, rolled in salt), on my gasser many times (same prep), but I can't remember ever doing them in my Kettle in what I call "smoke grilling."  I smoke grilled a bunch of chicken thighs last night, so for the leftovers tonight I'll smoke grill some russet potatoes as a side. 

What I call smoke grilling is putting down a layer of cold charcoal and wood chunks/large chips in the center of the Kettle charcoal grate.  Then add a half chimney of hot charcoal to the top of that, evenly spacing the hot charcoal with tongs over the cold.  Cover with all vents open and let the white smoke die down over the course of 15 minutes.  Then put the prepped potatoes (meat, fish, whatever) on a cooling rack in a pan over the center of the fire.  Smoky goodness and no flipping, turning, etc required. 

Pics to follow later.    

PS: I buy the big bags of wood chunks from Home Depot.  By the time I finish the bag, there is always a bunch of larger wood chips in the bottom of the bag.  All those go into a HD bucket for use on the Kettle, so I have a mix of hickory(mostly), cherry, mesquite, and apple (I believe) in that bucket.  I actually prefer those larger wood chips in the Kettle than the chunks.  They burn completely and provide great flavor for a hot n fast grill smoke.     

I done frozen hash browns in mine many times.

2lb bag frozen hash browns

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 pint sour cream I used onion and chive sour cream

1 or 2 cups grated cheese of your choice.

Mix together and spread out in a 9X13 pan and smoke until the hash browns are crispy on top.

Great side to just about anything.

Taters of any kind in the smoker are awesome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky