SMOKED PORK BUTT 101

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I seen 225F everywhere for cooking temps for pork butts, yet Aaron does them at 275F.  I tried one at 250F last weekend.  It cooked much faster than 225F.  I shaved off 1/3 of cook time.  It came out a bit dry (Im a perfectionist).  My last couple have come out the same.  Not sure what it is.

I've tried dry brining 24 hours beforehand and no brining, and we prefer the taste of dry brining.  Im not sure either one results in juicer butts.

Finding that juicy butt has been hit or miss for me.  I dont know what it is.  My current butts are like 95% there.  But Im still hunting for that dripping, juicy, all over your shirt peace of meat.

Next time Im going to try foiling. 

PS.  The last couple of times, Ive pulled on the fly for individual sandwiches and left the butt in tact to preserve moistness for leftovers.  I wonder if pulling everything in one go and mixing with the juices is better?

Hey Gary

Good thread.  I totally agree with you that time is just a VERY loose guideline.  My first butt was a 5 pounder, and I was expecting it to be ready for supper.  LOL.  That 5 pounder took about 12 hours.  Miss Linda and I darn near starved waiting for it.  After that, I realized that the meat will be done when the meat is done.

points.gif

Gary
So right what you said., the meat will be done when the meat is done..we have starved a few evenings around here too., and learned to start earlier since.

So if a Newbie asks, " I have a 4' X 6" X 8" Butt. How long will it take to cook? " What say you...JJ
biggrin.gif
LOL----That's easy----I say the same thing I always say-----It will take as long as it takes, but if two are exactly the same weight, and one is much thinner, the thinner one will be done first.

And cutting the thickness in half will be hours quicker.

Like I said in my last comment, It's the thickness that's most important, not the total weight & not the Total Cubic inches.

I can't say exactly how long because of all the other variables, such as the ones Cliff mentioned (Density--Muscle content--Etc).

I just Temp Probe it at 3 hours & check it at 200° IT.

Sorry about the Hi-Jack, Gary.

Bear

Last edited:
That's easy----I say the same thing I always say-----It will take as long as it takes, 
huh.gif

ROTF.gif
...John, Stick to Bears...Your Cook Book won't sell...JJ

BTW...Related questions are not a Hi-Jack

@ Mummel

PS.  The last couple of times, Ive pulled on the fly for individual sandwiches and left the butt in tact to preserve moistness for leftovers.  I wonder if pulling everything in one go and mixing with the juices is better?

Oh yeah...There is an Episode of Good Eats, Stew Romance where Alton makes braised Short Ribs for Stew. He shows, 18 minutes in, that refrigerating the meat makes it hold together better but talks about how it will take a higher temp to to melt the Gelatin, makes meat juicy. Your Butt holds together, harder to pull, and you would have to get the whole Butt hotter to get it to release the gelatin and get it really juicy again. Not as difficult with already Pulled Pork...JJ

Last edited:

That's easy----I say the same thing I always say-----It will take as long as it takes, 
huh.gif

ROTF.gif

LOL---Anybody who says they can predict exactly how long a Butt will take is Blowing more smoke than any smoker I ever used.

Now lets All Quit Ruining Gary's Great Thread.  
hijack.gif

I'm done!!

Bear

huh.gif

ROTF.gif

@ Mummel

Oh yeah...There is an Episode of Good Eats, Stew Romance where Alton makes braised Short Ribs for Stew. He shows, 18 minutes in, that refrigerating the meat makes it hold together better but talks about how it will take a higher temp to to melt the Gelatin, makes meat juicy. Your Butt holds together, harder to pull, and you would have to get the whole Butt hotter to get it to release the gelatin and get it really juicy again. Not as difficult with already Pulled Pork...JJ
Man this is a good point, particularly since I have to reheat the whole butt before serving (it was done like 12 hours before serving and spent the day in a cooler).  This makes a lot of sense.  I will pull the whole butt next time and report back.

Hey, Nobody is Hijacking,  I think I am liking all the comments .   You poor guys that cook by weight, one day you will see the Light 
jk.gif

Gary

Hey, Nobody is Hijacking,  I think I am liking all the comments .   You poor guys that cook by weight, one day you will see the Light 
jk.gif

Gary
I'm glad you said that, because I certainly thought I was guilty of making your Tutorial more confusing.

Thanks Gary,

Bear

Nah    I thought you were letting me know you had a couple of those great looking sandwiches headed my way.

I will have to say the Pork butt turned out great, plenty juicy and that great bark gave it a lot of flavor, Took some over to #2 son's house along with some beans, (That is the grandson who can't get enough of my beans) Put some in the freezer and had a sandwich today.

Gary

i live in sw tn where bar-b-q is king. my personal fav taste wise is Corky's.  the question i have for you guys that have smoked at 225 for say 12 hrs or at 275 for say 6 hours to reach that magic 200-205 I.T. is there a big difference in the taste, texture, etc. after it is pulled???  it seems that at the 275 temp the pork would be somewhat dryer...

From SC where BBQ originated and is still king, it is my opinion that a pork butt has enough fat and connective tissue to adequately handle 275* with no trouble. If you wrap your butt at the stall, you can add about 1/2 cup of apple juice that will assist with the moisture and the acidity of the juice will also help with tenderness.

Yes and No. The Surface 1" or so is dryer at 275 because, no way around it, the higher heat evaporates more moisture from the outside. But, in the big picture, when the meats is all pulled, mixed together and sauced, you barely notice more than there are some pieces with firm bark. If you are a Foil guy or Rest a long time in foil, there is no difference as the Braising/Rest re-hydrates the surface. Same with Re-heated pulled pork. While re-heating, usually with some liquid or sauce, the dryer pieces are re-hydrated. Bottom line, 225, 275, 325, Butts are forgiving. The difference is only really apparent Smoker to Table, no Foil and short counter Rest...JJ

joe black, i guess we need to agree to disagree. even tho i have never been to SC and never had any SC BBQ  i can't imagine any better tasting BBQ than we have down here.. have a great day...

Last edited:
Just plan a road trip and let me know, we can hit some great spots. Then I'll have to come to TN. I ate some really good BBQ at a place in Knoxville one time, but that's probably 500 miles from you. Good luck. BTW, go on the SCBA web site sometime and read the history of BBQ. It's a good read about explorers bringing pigs to America and the Indians smoking over low heat. Give it a look, Joe

Gary great thread and thank you, you mentioned a couple of things that I take for granted over the yrs. 
points.gif

Nice lookin food also!!

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

Gary great thread and thank you, you mentioned a couple of things that I take for granted over the yrs. 
points.gif

Nice lookin food also!!

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

Thank you   much appreciated

Gary

I just wanted to make my first post on the site and say thank you Gary. I have been wanting to learn how to smoke for a few years now. I have the Char-griller trio and for some reason have just been intimidated. I decided that win or lose I was going to smoke something. I found this forum and this post and decided to give it a shot. I smoked a 4 lb pork but last weekend and it was an great success. I also used your baked beans recipe and even though I made them a little too hot for everyone else it was a hit too. 

THANKS!!!!

I just wanted to make my first post on the site and say thank you Gary. I have been wanting to learn how to smoke for a few years now. I have the Char-griller trio and for some reason have just been intimidated. I decided that win or lose I was going to smoke something. I found this forum and this post and decided to give it a shot. I smoked a 4 lb pork but last weekend and it was an great success. I also used your baked beans recipe and even though I made them a little too hot for everyone else it was a hit too. 

THANKS!!!!
Gary's a Good guy to follow!!
icon14.gif

Now you gotta get after his Brisket Tutorial too!!
drool.gif

Awesome!

Also: Since this was your first post, you should go to Roll Call, when you get a chance, and introduce yourself, so others can Welcome you!!!  
welcome1.gif

Bear

THANKS!!!!
You are very welcome, anytime you have a question or need some help I am usually around or you can PM me ant time

Gary

Reactions: damascusmaker
Not part II, but a short follow up:

Decided to do a pork butt for some friends of ours, I was going to smoke it tomorrow but too much to do so today was the day.

I started late, so I needed to speed things up a bit.

I deboned and split the butt in half, rubbed with a little EVOO and seasoning and on the smoker at 11:30 AM  I am smoking with Pecan so an extra split and the vents open a little more and I’m cooking at 275°.

Remember the Butt I did for the post was a whole 7 # Butt, this was a little over seven pounds with the bone removed and split in half. The whole Butt took 6 hours to reach an IT of 205°

This Butt is split in half and has been on for 3.5 hours and the IT is 165° cooking at the same 275°,  Theoretically the halves should have been close at 3 hours. I will check the temp in another hour and report back. 

OK  at 4:00 PM, 4.5 Hours @ 275º the two Butt halves are 205º - 206º

So, not 1/2 the time of the first Butt, Still not bad for a Butt

Next time I will try to do a whole and a half together so we can get a better idea.

So next time you are in a hurry, split it and crank up the temp.

I did not foil except now that I am holding it in the oven (Not on) and a towel over it.

Here are a couple of pics, I come back and post another when I pull it.

Butts Rubbed EVOO my seasoning and some honey powder

Had to make up a little BBQ sause to send them

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky