Smoked my first whole turkey.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chimo

Original poster
Dec 27, 2016
Decided it should be Thanksgiving in July. Smoked a 15 lb turkey. Took about 4 hours at 300. Smoked with a mix of cherry and apple wood. I let the turkey sit out for about two hours before smoking, stuffed the inside with garlic, onion, apples and placed pads of butter between the skin and meat. Rubbed the outside with a homemade seasoning. Came
IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
out juicy and tender with a great subtle smoked flavor. Thanks to all who post here, reading what you've done helped me.

Yeah 2 hours sounds like alot of time, unless you live somewhere its really really cold.
2 hours here in Australia and the turkey would not be edible lol.

Reactions: chimo
I agree with the above posts. Go from fridge directly to the smoker. Other then that it looks like a great bird. Smoked turkey has become a favorite around here.

Point for sure.

Chris

Your bird looks good.... Bet it tasted good also....
Warming the meat to ambient temperature, prior to adding smoke, significantly reduces the possibility of moisture condensate on the bird... Good choice... Never add smoke to cold meat....
That can also be accomplished by adding the bird to a 100F ish smoker to preheat the meat and dry the outer layer, an hour works well... Smoke adheres very well to dry meat... Wet meat? not so good... Water and smoke create "acid rain"... an acrid foul tasting layer...
Whole muscle meats are considered sterile inside... Once the outside layer of meat is subjected to your 300F smoking temp, and gets to 165F, all bacteria are killed...

Thanks all. I've been eating it for a week lol. I think I'll be making one for thanksgiving this year.

Last edited:
I got several turkey breast in my freezer (bought in post holiday sales). Turkey aint just for Thanksgiving or holidays in my house now. Yours looks great good job.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky