Smoked my first turkey today - pics inside

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

madeinamerica

Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
Michigan
First, I'm new, here is my roll call thread: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/157408/greetings-from-michigan

With that out of the way let's show you what I worked on today. I have a Bradley 4 rack, I smoke in my garage with the doors cracked (until it warms up anyway) :)

I did a turkey with the following method: Brine 12 hours - water, 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of brown sugar. Rubbed the bird down with some nantucket holiday rub. Smoked for 5 hours at 250 degrees, had to finish it off in the oven for a few minutes to ensure 165 degree internal temp. Michigan winters make attaining / maintaining my temps difficult with the Bradley. I did toss a few bricks in just under the bottom rack to reduce my temp recovery time. I also trialed some peterson pucks midway thru the smoke. My impression of these pucks is that they are mediocre (for the Bradley, anyway). Their diameter is such that they are too large to lay flat on the burn tray. They burn much faster than they claim. A lot of them were smashed during delivery leaving me with a messy pile of sawdust.

Sorry, I'll stop bad mouthing. They did put off some nice smoke, it just took some TLC to get them to perform how I wanted.

Below you'll find some pictures - this is one tasty bird!

View media item 289035

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky