Smoked Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice Cheese there Disco!!
Looks Mighty Tasty!!
Like.
We had 2 morning below freezing this week, again.

Bear

It will still be delicious! Have you tried freezing some juice bottles full of water and putting them around your cheese while smoking?
I have, but honestly, I’ve never ever had this happen before. My tubes usually perform flawlessly in the Lang firebox. And I’m used to using my larger fatboy, so I was just rusty to the fact that the little flame from the maze would bring my ambient temps up so high.
funny though, I tested a piece today. Very smoky so it will need to mellow but it actually may end up being surprisingly better. Texture seems fine which concerned me. Bolder flavor.

It will still be delicious! Have you tried freezing some juice bottles full of water and putting them around your cheese while smoking?
I have, but honestly, I’ve never ever had this happen before. My tubes usually perform flawlessly in the Lang firebox. And I’m used to using my larger fatboy, so I was just rusty to the fact that the little flame from the maze would bring my ambient temps up so high.
funny though, I tested a piece today. Very smoky so it will need to mellow but it actually may end up being surprisingly better. Texture seems fine which concerned me. Bolder flavor.

I use a jug of frozen water in my MES to keep it cooler, and I use Dust instead of pellets in my AMNPS, because dust burns a lot cooler than pellets.

Bear

Reactions: 73saint and disco
Good news!

Egad! I was almost out of smoked cheese! Fortunately, it is still cool here and I have lots of free time! I did smoke Extra Old Cheddar, Gouda, Havarti and Jalapeno cheddar for 2 hours with apple pellets in my A-Maze-N Tube smoker. I have enough of my last batch that I will be able to let these age for a few weeks before diving in!

View attachment 442749

View attachment 442750
Hm. Give advice to a wife. Let me check. Nope, I haven't lost my mind.
Hello Disco,
Looks so good!!!! I’ve never smoked cheese before but want to give it a shot in the near future. I have one of those nifty smoking tubes that I can use. Seems like the best method to minimize the heat. From what I gathered, 2 hours of smoke should be efficient.........does that seem right? And then you mentioned letting it rest for a few weeks.....in the fridge. What do you wrap them in for this? Then I’m guessing you vacuum seal them afterwards? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Looks great Big D. Reminds me I have around 30 lbs of cheese to smoke. Just not sure we will have a season to sell i this year...........

Hello Disco,
Looks so good!!!! I’ve never smoked cheese before but want to give it a shot in the near future. I have one of those nifty smoking tubes that I can use. Seems like the best method to minimize the heat. From what I gathered, 2 hours of smoke should be efficient.........does that seem right? And then you mentioned letting it rest for a few weeks.....in the fridge. What do you wrap them in for this? Then I’m guessing you vacuum seal them afterwards? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

The amount of smoke needed varies on many things, the type of smoke (hickory is stronger than apple), the kind of smoke generator (the tube generates more smoke than the tray type), and your tastes (some like a hint of smoke others are smoke hounds) . 2 hours will give you a nice mild smoke and is a good place to start. If there is too little smoke, you have a nice cheese. Once you have too much smoke you can't reduce it. If you want more, increase the length of time for your next smoke.

I smoke it and put it in the fridge covered overnight. Then I vacuum pack it and store it for at least 2 weeks before serving. It will keep in the fridge for months vacuum sealed.

Looks great Big D. Reminds me I have around 30 lbs of cheese to smoke. Just not sure we will have a season to sell i this year...........

I look forward to the post.

The amount of smoke needed varies on many things, the type of smoke (hickory is stronger than apple), the kind of smoke generator (the tube generates more smoke than the tray type), and your tastes (some like a hint of smoke others are smoke hounds) . 2 hours will give you a nice mild smoke and is a good place to start. If there is too little smoke, you have a nice cheese. Once you have too much smoke you can't reduce it. If you want more, increase the length of time for your next smoke.

I smoke it and put it in the fridge covered overnight. Then I vacuum pack it and store it for at least 2 weeks before serving. It will keep in the fridge for months vacuum sealed.

I look forward to the post.
Thank you!!!! I greatly appreciate your tips!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky