Smoked Beef Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vfl57

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 5, 2015
I bought beef short ribs for the first time and plan to smoke them at 225 on my Rec tec until they reach an internal temp of around 205. My question is, has anyone tried marinating them in a wine marinade before smoking them and if so, how did they come out? I grill my steaks in a red wine marinade and they come out awesome- same if I put them in the oven. I just wasn’t sure if smoking them the same way would be good and didn’t want to waste the money trying if it is a known bad method. Also, how do you smoke your beef short ribs? How do you marinate or dry rub them? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've never marinated a good cut of beef, neither ribs or steaks.
But I've marinated many not so tender cuts of beef for both tenderization and flavor.
Mainly lesser steaks from the chuck, round, plate and flank, but still never marinated a rib.
Especially a nice rack of Chuck Short Ribs.

I've always rubbed my beef ribs, sometimes with evoo as a base.
I start with a Dalmatian rub of coarse Kosher salt and fresh cracked peppercorns, and usually I'll add bit to it, granulated garlic, granulated onion, crushed red pepper or cayenne powder.

If I was to try a wine marinade it'd be for flavor, I'd probably combine something like red wine, a very dark and robust olive oil, lightly cracked whole peppercorns, fresh rosemary and chopped garlic.
Maybe let them marinate for a couple of hours and then baste with the marinade during the cook.

Reactions: OILFIELDTOOL
I like some wine in the mix for braised short ribs, but for bbq I prefer a simple dry rub (Montreal Steak works nice) and have my wine on the side.

The marinate will add a little bit to the overall flavor profile, but not as much in smoking as you would think. I would do the ribs without the marinade first to see how you like them, then if you think the flavor could use a little something, try the marinade.

Either with or without the marinade, the greater effect on the final profile and quality will be cooking temp, amount, type, and length of smoke applied, and final temp.

That was going to be my suggestion, save the wine for the braise stage. I think you will get more of the profile you are looking for doing that than you will marinating.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky