Smoke Fest today -2 - here's the Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

byounghusband

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Sachse, Texas
i am a Smokin' Fool today.... Chickens, Salmon and Bacon.

I bought a nice Salmon Filet last week after talking with a friend and he mentioned it. Took a couple extra days off this week.

I have a Lil Chief Electric Smoker that has been in the family for nearly 40 years. Still works GREAT!!

I used Mr. T's Brine recipe. Really like it so figured I would give it a shot.

Didn't take any pics of the Brine, but the pieces all fit into a Gallon Zip-Lock bag with the Brine.

Took them out of the Fridge after about 18 hours. Rinsed them off and set them on the racks.

Peticele time...

I will smoke this later tonight after I get home from work....

Finally got the Salmon off of the Lil' Chief. 12 hours of Apple/Hickory smoke.

they're sitting in the fridge cooling down right now....

byounghusband,    Curious as to how  your salmon turned out. 12 hours seems like an long time to reach 145 degrees if that was your target.   I do have a few questions.    What was your cooking temp?  I did not see from the pics that any of the salmon was probed.  What was the finished internal temp?  Your brine time was right on target.  What was the time taken to form the pellicle?

I do hope you enjoyed the recipe and technique.  If I can help in the future, please ask.

Mr. T

Mr. T,
The salmon turned out great. It is all sealed and in the freezer.. OK, not all of it... :biggrin:

I didn't go for a specific IT on this batch. I was actually more interested in the smoker temp, as this is the first time I have been able to measure it. The other two probes I have were being used for a Bacon Cold (not!! Especially with outside temps 85-102) smoke....

I have been smoking Salmon for long enough to tell by look and feel. I kept it simple with the salmon since it was the first time for me to do bacon..

Your Brine recipe is the BOMB!!!!! I will use it a lot in the future. I used ot use the basic brine from teh Lil' Chief smoker book. NO MORE!!!!

I would guess the pellicle time was approx 8 hours in the fridge.

The tail end of the filet was Salmon Jerky. WOW was that a treat!! I gave my wife part of it and her eyes rolled back in her head.... She wanted ot go straight to the groery store for cream cheese and capers.....

I learned something form the last couple days... Don't try to do to many things all at once. Chickens, salmon and bacon...... The chix and salmon came out great, the jury is still out on the bacon as it is mellowing in the fridge now before slicing.

Thanks for the great brine recipe!!!

Later!!

byounghusband,    Curious as to how  your salmon turned out. 12 hours seems like an long time to reach 145 degrees if that was your target.   I do have a few questions.    What was your cooking temp?  I did not see from the pics that any of the salmon was probed.  What was the finished internal temp?  Your brine time was right on target.  What was the time taken to form the pellicle?

I do hope you enjoyed the recipe and technique.  If I can help in the future, please ask.

Mr. T

byounghusband,  Glad you enjoyed and thanks for the follow up.
icon14.gif
  Just a note for you.  With this recipe, your salmon will keep in the fridge for at least three weeks.  I have kept it longer without any change in texture or taste.  If you are short on time, you can air dry your salmon to form the pellicle ( I use a fan to expedite) at room temp.  A good pellicle can be formed in 2-3 hours.  This way I can take it out of the brine, quick rinse, pat dry, form pellicle and smoke by mid afternoon.  

Surprise your wife if you haven't already, and smoke that cream cheese, when the weather cools of course.  You seem to have quite a bit of experience with the L/C smoker so you probably know how to cold smoke with one.  If not I can help.

Later, Mr. T

Dude,
You're a mind reader!! I plan on doing just that, but outside temps gotta come down a bit first even using the L/C and my AMZNPS.... but it IS on the list. I will drop you a line when I am ready to do it for any tips.

Thanks for your help!!

Surprise your wife if you haven't already, and smoke that cream cheese, when the weather cools of course.  You seem to have quite a bit of experience with the L/C smoker so you probably know how to cold smoke with one.  If not I can help.

Later, Mr. T

byounghusband,  I'll be waiting.  For optimal results the ambient temperature should be 60 degrees or less with the AMZNPS.

Later, Mr. T

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky