Sirloin Cap (Picanha) my favorite

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
The wife usually is not in favor of sirloin. Says it's too chewy. Last night made up my mind, I missed the beef flavor from living in Brazil back in the 60s. Picked up a nice 2.5 lb Picanha, sliced into meal portions then froze the rest for another time. Nothing special in prep. The meat shines by itself. SPG and let sit for 45 minutes before putting on the grill. Had to tend them carefully as the fat cap does flare up a bunch. Basted lightly with Italian dressing when flipped. Pulled at 135º and let sit while sauteing some fresh green beans in oil with garlic & onion salt. Of course, you can't have a good steak without wine! Exactly as I remembered so many years ago.

The bonus, Cyd chowed down and eat every bite. Moral: flavor trumps chewy :emoji_wink:

IMG_5007.jpg
IMG_5008.jpg
IMG_5006.jpg

That looks delicious Matt!
If I didn’t have ribs in the smoker as we speak, I would be looking for one of those!
Nicely done, simple & tasty!
Al

Reactions: schlotz
Thanks Al. Ribs on the Rec-Teq, BB or St Louis? Bet they'll be great!

We did a rack of St Louis last week. The rack looked wonderful but in the end, was disappointed. All the points followed and tenderness checks were there but the meat was interlaced with non rendered portions that were not even close, even after 6+ hours smoking. Chalked it up to a bad rack.

Nice job Matt. I'm with you buddy, that Picanha is a fantastic cut of meat. Deep, rich, beefy flavor that is a chart topper.

Robert

Reactions: schlotz
Nice job Matt. I'm with you buddy, that Picanha is a fantastic cut of meat. Deep, rich, beefy flavor that is a chart topper.

Robert
Thanks Robert. It's definitely the rich flavor I remember from Brazil.

Looks like the star of the show Matt !
Great color !
Gotta try that soon myself soon.

Keith
You won't be disappointed Keith. Take 'em to med-rare then let sit for 10 min before serving.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky