should I use fluid ounces or grams

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

John_D

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Orillia, Ontario
Here is a question: yes it's bacon related, I am unsure as to how I should go about this part, it's something new I want to try. I am about to venture on a new bacon project using rum. When it comes down to the percentage I am not sure if I should use fluid ounces or weight of the rum as grams. I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction as I usually do a dry cure and this takes me out of my normal process routine.

is there a recipe you are following, what's the recipe in gram's or ounces. or are you winging it, if winging it it's probably going to be a trial and error, I'm not sure about the grams or ounces but if you never done this before I would start out with smaller rather than larger amount's to make sure you like it, and next time add a little more until you find the amount you like. maybe someone with experience doing this will chime in. I think i'll save my rum for the coke though. good luck

is there a recipe you are following, what's the recipe in gram's or ounces. or are you winging it, if winging it it's probably going to be a trial and error, I'm not sure about the grams or ounces but if you never done this before I would start out with smaller rather than larger amount's to make sure you like it, and next time add a little more until you find the amount you like. maybe someone with experience doing this will chime in. I think i'll save my rum for the coke though. good luck
yeah, winging it at this point using a 3KG pork loin. No problem with the dry measures that is simple enough, it's just the liquid I am trying to resolve.

yeah, winging it at this point using a 3KG pork loin. No problem with the dry measures that is simple enough, it's just the liquid I am trying to resolve.
I don't think it would matter grams or ounces then,i would just pour by eye until you think you have enough rum and see what it weighs, and make some notes so you remember. as far as amount's I really have no idea.

I don't think it would matter grams or ounces then,i would just pour by eye until you think you have enough rum and see what it weighs, and make some notes so you remember. as far as amount's I really have no idea.

Not starting the project until Monday, so I will watch for replies with advice and suggestions, it's all good. If I have to start somewhere I will consider mixing only enough to create a paste combined with cure and see what transpires.

will the alcohol have any effect on the cure, I don't know but it might be something to check out.

will the alcohol have any effect on the cure, I don't know but it might be something to check out.

I was sitting thinking and it might be just worthwhile trying a rum extract or concentrate as a flavoring during the cure. if I do this the volume would be smaller and it might just work if it's only enough to create a paste and there's no concern about cure interaction with alcohol.

If you are not asking how much rum you should add it absolutely does not matter what unit of measure you use as long as it's the same unit of measure every time...
FYI...one fluid ounce of water weighs 28.35 grams..it simply does not matter if you write down in your recipe 1.5 oz or 42.5 grams

Reactions: John_D
I hadn't thought of it in that fashion,I was stuck on the mindset of percentage ,it's the consistency i was trying to get at, so that no matter the weight of meat I could always come up with an accurate measure.

Weight is weight. I like using metric units as they are far easier to convert than English units.

I.e. PPM = mg/kg

Last edited:
if you're concerned about proportion, it's a known what the specific gravity of rum is (0.94) and it's childs play to determine the specific gravity of your pork loin via immersion/displacement. At that point, you are comparing apples to apples in terms of proportions...

Weight and Volume as in 1gram = 1Millileters, and so on ONLY is accurate, or Close Enough, for Water and liquids of a similar weight. Rum, Milk, Wine, Beaten Eggs, can be measured by Weight or Volume. Powders, Leaves, Viscous Liquids and Semi-solids, need to follow the Recipes, Weight or Volume measurement. A Quarter Cup (2 floz) of Cinnamon is a lot less than 2 Ounces, by weight, of Cinnamon...1/4C Cinnamon weighs approx. 1 ounce, so 2oz, by weight, is actually 1/2C...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky