Separated brisket cook...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bruno994

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Buna, Texas
I consider myself a brisket expert, being from Texas, I should be.  I think it's the official state meat, if not, it should be!  I have cooked them just about anyway known to man, except in the slow cooker, YUK!  I've cooked them fat side up, fat side down, wrapped and unwrapped, foiled, butcher paper, injected, non injected, complex rubs and just salt and pepper, slow and low, hot and fast, no trim, heavy trim, north/south, east/west, you get the picture.  But I have never completely separated the point and the flat and cooked them this way, so I had to do it.  I love the point meat, but hate the fat and the extra cook time it requires to fully render out the fat.  I love burnt ends, but unless you do a heavy trim, I always seem to have too few pieces with bark and I love some peppery bark.  So I took a 12# packer brisket, select grade that has been overloooked in my freezer since early last year out, thawed out in the fridge all week, ready to cook this weekend.  Did some heavy trimming, no excess fat on the meaty surfaces at all.  I kept a solid fat layer on the bottom to protect the meat while cooking on my RF pit. 

Here it is trimmed and separated:

Injected both pieces with Butchers BBQ Prime brisket injection.  I use it when I cook comps, so I just keep it as part of my normal routine, even if I'm at home.  I let that sit for an hour or so after injecting, then slathered with mustard (not needed, just part of my routine), then rubbed down with my own mixture for briskets:

Brisket rub is pretty standard stuff, this mix is enough for two briskets 12#'s or so:

4 TBSP Kosher salt

4 TBSP Coarse Black pepper

2 TBSP Dark brown sugar

1 TBSP minced onion

2 TSP paprika

2 TSP granulated garlic

2 TSP chili powder

2 TSP cumin

2 TSP cayenne pepper

Mixed together a day before usage, then ground finer in either a spice grinder or I use my wifes' Ninja, does a great job, breaks up the onion and smooths out the texture of the rub.   

Put it on the pit at 250 degrees, fat side down, smoked with hickory and oak until it reached 160 + IT, then wrapped i foil with some Dr. Pepper and a bit more rub, until both pieces were toothpick tender.  I did not get to sample the meat Sunday night, but last night as soon a sI got home from work, I pulled them out of the fridge, sliced up the flat, and put it in the oven to warm for dinner.  Here is the point sliced up cold, right out of the fridge:

Plenty of bark all around the meat, the fat had rendered out perfectly with the point, which is what I was a shooting for.  Tender, juicy (once reheated), you could have easily cubed it and made some burnt ends as well, but I sliced it all, vaccum sealed everything not eaten.

As far as cook times, that did not change for the flat, but it did eliminate the need to put the point back on to fully render out the fat, the cook still took around 9 hours, which is normal for my pit.  When the flat was done, which is toothpick tender, not IT for me, I pulled both and both were done. 

I have always preferred a heavy trim job on my briskets, but I think this experiment hit it out of the park and may become my new way to cook briskets.  Less fat to deal with after the cook, more bark, more flavor to the meat directly.  My only change would be less rub, since more meat was exposed, it was a bit stronger than usual, but I prefer a stronger seasoned meat, however my wife does not, so in the future, dealing with smaller pieces of meat, I'll give them a lighter coat.  I also think with the smaller pieces, a good marinade might work well.

Last edited:
Wow!  That looks great.  Some day I may get the cajones to do another brisket.  I did one once, a ridiculous failure.  It wasn't left on the pit anywhere near long enough.  It was basically like eating a old leather boot.  Such inexperience.  I did that years ago before discovering this site.  I may have try your method.  It looks great.

Reactions: turnandburn
Thanks for sharing Bruno- when I do briskies, I'll remove the fat that separates the point and the flat but will leave them connected and I will apply my rub between the flat and point. I never really given much of a think to separating the two completely, but I realize that doing so would give a better overall bark.

Now if you could share your tips for doing the brisky "hot and fast", I'd appreciate it. I have a buddy that do his brisky with the H&F method, but he doesn't share his tips-go figure.

Thanks~

that looks really good!  I have been hearing about the H&F method too with briskets....most of the guys I have talked with do a temp in the smoker at 250.  These are 2 local BBQ joints here in town.

Kat

Thanks for the compliments guys.  When I cook hot and fast, I cook with a goal temp being 325, no higher than 350, no lower than 300.  In my RF pit, I can finish a 13# brisket in 6 hours or less.  Tender, juicy and delish.  The biggest factor in cooking a HNF brisket, is once you surpass the 185 mark on IT, start checking it for doneness pretty regular, it will be toothpick tender in no time.  With 300+ cooking, the stall is all but eliminated.  Allow the meat to rest as we would for any style of cooking, whether it be HNF or SNL.   I have injected a few of the HNF briskets with the Butchers BBQ injection and like the results, but I have also done a few without injecting and like those as well.  The one thing I have never tried with a HNF brisket is not wrapping, I have always worried about charring one, I need to try an unwrapped version at sometime.  Another factor is the smoke ring, it will not be as deep as a slow and low brisket for 2 reasons (at least on my pit), first, the time from 40 degrees to 140 IT, is shortened dramatically, secondly, the fire is burning so clean at 300+, instead of 250, because my intakes are near fully open, so the amount of smoke is quite a bit less.  Comp cooks who use the HNF merthod will usually chemically induce a smoke ring with the use of nitrates in their rubs.    

Thanks for sharing Bruno- when I do briskies, I'll remove the fat that separates the point and the flat but will leave them connected and I will apply my rub between the flat and point. I never really given much of a think to separating the two completely, but I realize that doing so would give a better overall bark.

Now if you could share your tips for doing the brisky "hot and fast", I'd appreciate it. I have a buddy that do his brisky with the H&F method, but he doesn't share his tips-go figure.

Thanks~
I usually do a heavy trim just as you mentioned, between the flat and point trying to get more rub and bark in that area as well.  That is where I started with this one, but once I got to that point, I decided to fully separate them, been wanting to try it for awhile anyway.  I am not a beleiver in that those big chunks of fat "baste" the meat.  I beleive that the "fat equals flavor" saying is true, but the fat within the meat, not the fat surrounding the meat provides flavor.

Scooter, give brisket another try.  Patience is the key to brisket, they each have a mind of their own.  Some will cook at 1 hour per pound, some will stretch it to 2 hours.  If your not a fan of long cooks, take them to 160 IT, wrap them up and throw it in the oven until you can probe the flat with little to no resistance, then she's done.  Best advice I can give is don't try and time a brisket, cook it the day before, leave whole, throw it in the over 2 hours before dinner at 300, then slice and enjoy.  This makes cooking brisket for a meal so much more enjoyable.  I see on here way too many times, "Dinner is at 6:00, but my brisket is only at 160 IT and it's 3:00!".  If you choose to slice the day before, make sure and save the drippings and au jus from the cook to drizzle over the sliced meat.  Really helps with both moisture and flavor.     

Thanks for the encouragement, Bruno.  I probably will do another brisket.  With all the help here, I'm not too skeered
icon_lol.gif

Quite a coincidence. I, too, just did a similar cook last weekend. Separated the point from the flat first, and trimmed the fat to about 1/8" to 1/4" from the meat. Where we differ is I injected and marinated the 9 lb. flat for a couple days then put both on @ 230°, leaving the flat fat-side down in a pan. The 2 lb. point I rubbed and smoked as usual. After 4 hours, I flipped the flat fat-side up.

Astonishing to me, was that the flat finished in 9 hours, 1 hour per pound. I have never had one cook so quickly. In fact, it threw my timing way off for dinner that night.

The point was about 175°, so I cubed it into burnt ends, and smoked it for another 3 hours.

Last edited:
What timing Bruno, driving home I was thinking about doing just that. I have to smoke 5 briskets next week for a church event. I can only smoke 2 at a time so I'll have 3 days of smoking. Good thing I work from home!
Love the added bark and rub, and keeping points for another function.

Thanks for posting.....JB

Thanks for the post!

I started doing it this way a few years ago to help it fit in my smoker and have really grown to appreciate the 'seperation method'--looking forward to reading more of your tips and tricks :)

Best advice I can give is don't try and time a brisket, cook it the day before, leave whole, throw it in the over 2 hours before dinner at 300, then slice and enjoy.  This makes cooking brisket for a meal so much more enjoyable.  
spot on advice. i did that with my 2nd attempt (my 1st attempt was a failure,in my eyes, wife and kids couldnt stop raving about it, wifes coworkers also, but i thought it could have been better.) i picked up a 11.5# brisket and forgot the timing worries...and just went with feel and more importantly,smell, lol. i kept it tented all night after i pulled it off and in the morning it was still warm, and it sliced awesomely. extremely tender and delicious and paired well with that mornings eggs and potatoes. :)

spot on advice. i did that with my 2nd attempt (my 1st attempt was a failure,in my eyes, wife and kids couldnt stop raving about it, wifes coworkers also, but i thought it could have been better.) i picked up a 11.5# brisket and forgot the timing worries...and just went with feel and more importantly,smell, lol. i kept it tented all night after i pulled it off and in the morning it was still warm, and it sliced awesomely. extremely tender and delicious and paired well with that mornings eggs and potatoes. :)
Now that's my kind of breakfast!  Brisket, eggs and potatoes!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky