Sentry Valve Help Needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nater3

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Webster City, IA
I bought a couple sentry valves for my brother's and my GOSM smokers. Tonight I tried to install it and am having some troubles. I replaced the burner and the regulator with ones from a turkey fryer as I had read. I got it all put together and fired it up. My problem is that is doesn't adjust at all. If I open up my needle valve all the way the flame goes way up and just stays there even when I set the sentry at 200 degrees. I shut the door and the temp just climbs up into the 500's. Anyone have any idea on this one?

I don't know how much I can help, can you take a pic of your set up?

Just off the top of my head, if you don't have any temp control I would look to see if the thermostat is working. You might try putting it in a pan of water and see if that enables you to regulate the flame. I have one of the Sentry valves and it states that the probe must be submerged in oil, however I saw a poster here that installed one in his smoker and it worked very well.

I also read that there are different pressure regulators, are you using the correct regulator?

Gene

I actually took it all apart yesterday after nobody on here responded over the weekend with suggestions. I have the regulator,valve,gas line and burner all still put together so that if I figure out what is wrong with the setup, I will be able to put it right back in with very little work. The regulator I am using is a 10psi needle valve regulator. The burner is a high pressure burner taken off of a brand new turkey fryer. I am thinking the same as you in that the sentry valve itself may be broken since I don't seem to have any temperature control at all.

nater,

Did you read the response to you on the thread Dutch posted?

You said you bought several, did you try one of the others, does it do the same thing?

You might try calling them to find out what pressure they work at, 504-468-1190, mine says it will work on any type of burner, doesn't say anything about pressure, also on the back of the instruction sheet it says to clean the gas outlet with a pin if it doesn't work properly, have you tried that?

Gene

One of the posts says that he used a 10psi burner and regulator, which is what I used. I didn't try cleaning out the valve with a needle. I will probably try it out on my turkey/fish fryer before disassembling my whole smoker again. If I can get it working on there I will then transfer the parts to my smoker. Thanks for the suggestions.
Nate

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky