Need Help Reviving a Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Series Smoker Model A032142

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Marmite

Original poster
Aug 8, 2023
I helped a guy catch some nice browns at my seasonal RV site, and he gave me a Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Series Smoker to return the favor. It's the all stainless steel model A032142 that he said he bought at Costco about eight years ago and only used it a couple of times.

It seemed to work pretty well for the few times I've used it but when I tried to use it the other day, I noticed that the hi setting flame was the same as the medium flame, and it could only get to 220 F on the highest setting. At first I thought maybe the venturi tube or brass orifice or "spud" was partially obstructed. But before taking the burner components apart I noticed that the regulator was not seating properly in the tank valve assembly and was actually leaking gas. I tried another propane tank and same problem, so it's the regulator fitting and not the tank O ring. I now think the low flame is due to the tank partially locking up due to this leak.

I see that I cannot order parts for this unit any longer so I need some help in getting an appropriate regulator replacement.

I would like to see about getting a regulator with an ajustable valve so I can get the temperature a bit lower for smoking beef jerky and fish. It would not get below 240-250 F on the lowest setting when it was still working.

I see that all the regulators I see that are ajustable seem to be high pressure, or they are designated 0-10 psi, 0-20 psi or 0-30 psi. I don't know which is compatible with this unit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Doug

Attachments

• Smoker Closed lr.jpg
    Smoker Closed lr.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Regulator lr.jpg
    Regulator lr.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 51
  • valve 2 lr0.jpg
    valve 2 lr0.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Valve 1 lr.jpg
    Valve 1 lr.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Control Panel lr.jpg
    Control Panel lr.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Model Numberlr.jpg
    Model Numberlr.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Smoker Open lr.jpg
    Smoker Open lr.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: JC in GB
If this were my rig, I would likely try the adjustable 10 PSI regulator.

You may be able to get some more information from this website. Tejas Smokers.

They have a lot of items available for gas and burner control.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: JLeonard
Thank you,

I would like to know a bit more about which kind of regulators should I use—hi or low?

I don’t see specific information on the low-pressure regulators. It seems that all adjustable regulators seem to be high pressure, designated 0-10 psi, 0-20 psi or 0-30 psi. I don't know which is compatible with this unit. The label on the unit says BTU 22,500.

The first picture below is a 0-10 psi regulator with an inline needle valve.

I also saw 0-20 or 0-30 adjustable high-pressure regulators where the pressure itself is changed instead of the flow volume.

I also saw one recommendation to use a 2-stage regulator like this with an inline needle valve.
I would appreciate any additional clarification you can give me regarding these factors.

Thanks,

Doug

Attachments

• 0-10 psi Regulator with inline needle valve.JPG
    0-10 psi Regulator with inline needle valve.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Adjustable Reulator 0-20 psi.JPG
    Adjustable Reulator 0-20 psi.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 2 stage regulator.JPG
    2 stage regulator.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 37
I have had regulators crap out. I usually just grab a regulator/hose assembly from Harbor Freight. Fairly cheap, and they work fine. My issue is usually not a leak, but an internal clog in the regulator that won't let the gas flow properly.

Reactions: mike243
Here is another thread that may be helpful:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky